ipod connection

Raiden

Reaction score
I have done a search but I can not find the info I am looking for.

I have a 2008 S3 with SATNAV and a 6 disc changer. And I want to be able to have a connection so that I can control music which is being played through the head unit and if possible charge my iphone at the same time.

I went to Audi Hatfield and after the guy decided to get off his back side and ask someone they said a certain product is available which is £110 to buy and £350 to fit but I can not control any of my music via the head unit he said I have to do it with the iphone. I said to him that does not sound right as the car already has a AUX port anyway and wouldn't be dangerous me changing tracks while driving with a phone in my hand?

To be honest he wasn't interested in talking to me and even at one said 'well you never brought the car here, and its old anyway' so I have a feeling he is wrong. Can anyone shed some light? When I get home Ill get the ref number of the connection he was on about.

I have an ipod connection in my glovebox and i have my ipod connected to it all the time. It charges and you can change the music via the steering wheels controls. Look around and see if theres is an ipod retrofit guide so you can fit one yourself?

I have done a search but I can not find the info I am looking for.

I have a 2008 S3 with SATNAV and a 6 disc changer. And I want to be able to have a connection so that I can control music which is being played through the head unit and if possible charge my iphone at the same time.

I went to Audi Hatfield and after the guy decided to get off his back side and ask someone they said a certain product is available which is £110 to buy and £350 to fit but I can not control any of my music via the head unit he said I have to do it with the iphone. I said to him that does not sound right as the car already has a AUX port anyway and wouldn't be dangerous me changing tracks while driving with a phone in my hand?

To be honest he wasn't interested in talking to me and even at one said 'well you never brought the car here, and its old anyway' so I have a feeling he is wrong. Can anyone shed some light? When I get home Ill get the ref number of the connection he was on about.

It depends if you have the RNS-E Mk1 or Mk2 the Mk 1 unit has a matte finish surround and a CD/TV button next to your radio button. The Mk 2 has a gloss surround with a Media button instead. With the Mk 2 version you can then buy the AMI unit which has the connectivity for the ipod/iphone connection which replaces the 6 CD changer in the glove compartment. This unit charges and shows track names on the DIS.

If you have the Mk1 unit, you need to get a Dension gateway kit, but it won't show the track name on the DIS.

NOT Dension!!!!! LOL

I had one fitted to my old MK5 Golf a few years ago. It was so temperamental.

Looks like ill have to live with the AUX cable. From what you say I think its the matte one I have

Haha, well I was in the same sort of situation as you! Except I already had the Dension unit fitted to my Mk 1 unit, Tbh I never had any issues with it. But I wanted to have the track name on my DIS and OEM so I sold that unit to get the Mk2 unit and AMI, then I got the Tune2Air adapter so I can now stream all my music from my phone via bluetooth and all the information is displayed as when I had a ipod connected, works really well!

So its either get a Dension sort of unit for £100 ish or if you sell your unit for around £200 you would probably need to put another £400-500 to get my setup with OEM equipment... Or you can go down the other option of aftermarket headunits for a few hundred, plenty of posts regarding that!