Help with android radio install.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Hi all.

Please bear with me, I've just installed first second ever radio in nearly 10 years haha, always just kept the standard systems but decided I wanted a sat nav blah blah.

So I've bought this;
image-jpeg.83522

image-jpeg.83523

So quite daunted by the shear among by of connections I though sod it just give it ago.
All has gone quite well but I have a few questions and issues.

Upon taking out the standard symphony front loading 6cd stereo I am now left with these 2 connections;
image-jpeg.83524

image-jpeg.83525

image-jpeg.83526

Any ideas what they are?

So the issues I've got;

1. Radio reception is pretty ******, any ideas? I'm sure it's all together correctly!
2. The rear speakers work but the sound seems poor compared to when I had the standard headunit in!
3. The headunit didn't come with any gps maps installed which really ****** me off, anyway what apps the best to get for offline sat nav?

Thanks guys, sorry if I'm coming across as slack, like I say I've always been into the mechanical side but now slowly venturing into the entertainment side of matters and think I've took too big of a job do my first go haha.

So they haven't sent me the right adaptor then.

Same unit as mine
Mine came with the IGO satnav software already on the sd card provided
You might need a Hilo converter for rear speaker output
My radio is quite poor too,might need to get a booster

****** typical. He Mrs car has a similar unit with Igo but I can't find it on the play store, banging sat nav software if I'm honest.

The tears do play though mate just the sound isn't as strong as the front.

Did you need a radio booster?

Just email xtron and ask for the software,I'm sure they'll help
But saying that they told me to buy a autoleads pc401 adapted to get my speakers to work,bought and tried but didn't work
Hilo did the trick for me
Radio 1 which is main station for me is hit and miss at the mo but been to lazy to order a booster to improve reception
But overall it's a great unit

I did have a look at these aswell but was put off by a lot of other guys having the same issues, and as with any issue you get with nice new goodies it sort of takes the icing of the top of the cake, and I hate having issues with new kit that is supposed to fit straight out of the box and work.
As we all know oem rns-e etc units are a more costly route but they are a reliable retrofit and you can be assured 100% compatability with your exsisting setup, probably why they command the higher prices than other similar kit, there nothing wrong with low cost units but you have to be prepared to have some issues, its the nature of these sort of things, i'll be sticking to with concert 2 with full bose for the time being.

Emailed them mate just waiting to hear back.

I know what your dying rob but I wouldn't chose the ens-e over this, for the price and functions you get this beats the Rbs-e hands down, my mate has a a4 with the Rbs-e and tbh its w*** in comparison, yes the android has a few faults but they are minor and once they are sorted it will blitz the oem setup and oem sat nav option especially for the price also.

keep us in the loop with how you get on chap, will like to see how things turn out.

Reactions: Dani_B19
You know me rob wil do pal. Posted up in the entertainment section but it's a bit slow I there.

Right the black lead is the aerial.

So any ideas on the red block?

Hopefully this is of some help,no replaced my standard unit with pioneer and had similar problems, radio reception wise you will need a booster wired to a switch live and possibly another connector as I believe I had for the aerial. And the red plug I think does the rear speakers sub and amp etc dependent on what system you have, the rears all turned on with canbus so now won't work unless again you buy another lead and then wire that in, and even then you still need to wire a switch live to that too, hope that makes a bit of sense, best bet is to go to a motor factor type place that deals with stereos. I think I ended up spending about an extra 50 quid on wires to make the unit actually work.

The rear speakers do work mate just the sound isn't that loud from them.

Christoph does your car have the 2 aerials, the yellow fakra connection and the black coax one?

The rear speakers run off an amp so you need to power it, I did it on my android headunit following a guide online i'll see if i can find it.

I keep reading through all these great threads about upgrading head units etc, and then , keep trying to convince myself I need a new all singing all dancing had unit aswell, I then have to get a sharp stick out and poke myself in the arm to relise I just don't use 90% of the functions these head units provide.
It must be the victor meldrew in me taking control again, I don't believe it.......

good luck with it anyway dani, I expect it will all become obvious as you progress with it, looks nice anyway.

The rear speakers are working chatty so if the red block was for the tears they wouldn't work at all.

I need to download viper and power amp and play with the EQ settings more.

Honestly rob I think you'd love it, I've just managed to copy the IGO software from the Mrs Leon android unit, annoying that can preinstalled with IGO, got to say the IGO sat nav software is unreal, probably the best sat nav I've used, even has lane assist etc.

Anyway I've managed to get it loaded in to this headunit so that's one thing down. Just the aerial and the poor rear speaker sound but I'm slowly wittering down what I need to do b

Yeah I believe that's the term for the aerial connector, the standard radio uses the canbus system to turn on a signal amp same as the amp sub rear speakers etc. I think that red plug does that too as im pretty sure it's the canbus plug. I had a diagram on the rear of my oem headunit which told me what pins where so could roughly work it out. The wiring loom I bought still didn't power up so had to run wire to ignition live. It seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of gain really. But I am looking at a android unit so would be interested in hearing how it is once you sort the radio signal and rear speakers out.

The RED plug looks like it's only using Pins 3 & 4.

So have a look on the top of your old headunit and you should be able to suss out what they are for.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Never thought of looking, I'll check it tomorrow and see what it says. Thanks guys.

The speakers as you said will and do work but they still need the amp to boost the sound up.

Right so that's why there crap then.

You got a link chap?