Car turns over then engine stops

M

Mojave96

Tried turning the car over today and it wouldn't even make a turn-over noise. Just literally stopped. No noises whatsoever.

Literally turn the ignition and the car makes this noise as if it wants to start for a second and then stops...doesnt have this turn over noise like it was going to try to turn over.

It's a 2005 1.6 Petrol A3 Automatic. Never had a similar problem....please help :confounded::fearscream:

As above sounds very much like a flat battery. Possibly a jammed starter,Is the battery the original item, If so just get another one.

Weird thing is that it just had a full/major service and an MOT...should I be angry at the fact that the garage didn't check that? Or is that something nobody checks until something bad happens...

Also is that something I can do my self? Replacing the battery? Apart from the fact how heavy it is (apparently)

Batteries can fail at any time. I had one fail on a Vectra. It was an AC Delco original battery about 5 years old. Drove to a shop about 3 miles away. Parked the car for less than 5 minutes, came back to the car and the battery was dead. I suspect it had failed internally, it would just about light the headlights. They don't check batteries most of the time on a service and certainly not on an MOT other than to make sure it's secured correctly.
Changing a battery is easy, on a 1.6 petrol it's not even likely to be that big a battery, you should try lifting a 110Ah battery for a 3.0 TDI.
This seller on Ebay has very good prices. I would look for a Varta battery as they are very good quality. Most OE batteries are Varta.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Megastore-UK?

Reactions: Mojave96
Ah thank you so much guys, can't ever thank you enough.

I think I will try and book a fitting at my usual garage. They've been so helpful so far, so I'm sure they will be able to sort it out, just need to fit it in around my work...

I'm assuming if it goes dead i'm phucked so will try to do it ASAP.

Once again, thanks.
- Dave

Check the obvious first . undo the battery terminals and check for white powder, clean it off if thereis Any there and bolt back the cables. If the battery is 6 years or older, then buy a new one.

Reactions: Mojave96
Got the car back today as I decided to make a hot-headed decision to replace the battery.

I was kicking myself for it as I could have checked a couple of things beforehand...BUT!

I got the car back today and oh my sweet lord the sweet sound of the car starting up without ANY hesitation. Like it was rolled off the factory floor...so pleasing to my ears!

Thank you guys, glad I got my new battery.