MTM M-Cantronic - Should I?

Oliver Fish

Reaction score
Team,

I'm in the market for a bit of an upgrade, I can't get the car mapped as it's one of these later ECUs. I think I've resided to the fact I wouldn't want to jack the car up every time I want to remove the box (so that's the DTUK out of the window).

Which leads me to the MTM box - I've heard very good reviews of the physical quality and wiring. BUT I've heard nothing about how easy it is to fit/and how it really is to drive afterwards (or any issues with the s-tronic for example).

Any info much appreciated!

Olly

Team,

I'm in the market for a bit of an upgrade, I can't get the car mapped as it's one of these later ECUs. I think I've resided to the fact I wouldn't want to jack the car up every time I want to remove the box (so that's the DTUK out of the window).

Which leads me to the MTM box - I've heard very good reviews of the physical quality and wiring. BUT I've heard nothing about how easy it is to fit/and how it really is to drive afterwards (or any issues with the s-tronic for example).

Any info much appreciated!

Olly
Just yes!
I LOVE mine. Drop me a PM, we can organise meeting up somewhere and you can see for yourself?
Can't recommend highly enough!

But @batch Isn't it mental money?
It is good enough to justify the price tag?

It's not cheap. But you do get what you pay for - Roland Meyer has been tuning Audis for over 30 years, including building the original Quattro rally cars, and works closely with HQ. So as far as tuning boxes go you're probably getting the best development possible, as good as the main software companies if not better. This includes a drivetrain warranty should Audi not honour the factory one. The fitting/removal is literally two minutes, which is a big bonus, the Cantronic connects into the ECU and then on to the CANBUS so it's all accessible from under the bonnet, on the ground.
I've not driven a mapped car, but I can say mine is an absolute animal now but still has a very OEM-feeling power delivery - smooth, progressive and easy to use. I've noticed the odd clunky gear change from cold but nothing too intrusive and only at slow speeds. The car still feels like a more refined drive than my old 8P which was given a proper flashed remap. I had no complaints about that tune, far from it, but it still felt more raw as a result, this car still feels very easy to get on with till you hit the loud pedal. Worked really well with the intake when it went on too, noticeable hike in responsiveness, torque and power.

Reactions: RO65ERS, Rob2k68 and Paulmichelle
I don't mind paying a bit extra to have peace of mind that I could drag it off at the side of the road to keep my warranty & obviously for the quality.

Which brings me to my next question - It is literally just unplug ECU and piggyback between is it not?

I don't mind paying a bit extra to have peace of mind that I could drag it off at the side of the road to keep my warranty & obviously for the quality.

Which brings me to my next question - It is literally just unplug ECU and piggyback between is it not?
Yep, it plugs between the ECU and CanBUS harness, and mine sits between the airbox and battery bag. Less than two minutes to remove.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Check one of my previous post here for a pic of the MTM box. I confirm the very easy plugin and great performances.

Reactions: veeeight and batch
I looked into purchasing a second hand unit but the price to get it working with another car fast approaches a new unit, that's before you have paid for the second hand unit as well. I spoke to MTM and the box needs programming to that specific car for it to work. The cost of programming and a new warranty comes out at £858 plus the cost of the second hand unit. A new one is about £1400 installed.

I think that's something to bare in mind that the resale value of one of these boxes could be very low. It certainly put me off buying used. I think you have almost got to look at it as lost money as I don't think they are very easy to flog on like a DTUK one for example.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I looked into purchasing a second hand unit but the price to get it working with another car fast approaches a new unit, that's before you have paid for the second hand unit as well. I spoke to MTM and the box needs programming to that specific car for it to work. The cost of programming and a new warranty comes out at £858 plus the cost of the second hand unit. A new one is about £1400 installed.

I think that's something to bare in mind that the resale value of one of these boxes could be very low. It certainly put me off buying used. I think you have almost got to look at it as lost money as I don't think they are very easy to flog on like a DTUK one for example.
Unless you keep it and sling it on your next car... I have a feeling MTM may begin to subsidise repeat customers as the Cantronic gets wider usage.

it would be nice to see how you have it installed because if you install it as MTM recommends it takes at least 1 hour.

if you want to do it well you have to pull out the ECU, filter, intake box, and the battery.

that way you will be able to relocate all the wiring and keep it invisible under the intake.

MTM taught me how I should do it when I bought the Cantronic.

regards

it would be nice to see how you have it installed because if you install it as MTM recommends it takes at least 1 hour.

if you want to do it well you have to pull out the ECU, filter, intake box, and the battery.

that way you will be able to relocate all the wiring and keep it invisible under the intake.

MTM taught me how I should do it when I bought the Cantronic.

regards
...And then to remove it for servicing work, a breakdown etc, you have to do it all again. The point is it's removable and simple, so no, it doesn't take an hour.
If I didn't need to worry about Warranty or dealer work then yes, it would all be tucked inside the chassis leg or at least running along it.

This is not strictly true. The MTM Cantronic boxes can be used with like for like cars. Ie 8V model S3 to another 8V S3. Infact probably even to Golf R etc with same engine block.

The canbus is not blocked by VIN / Chassis ID.

I spoke with several MTM premium partner outlets in Germany last week ( via a good German friend ) and atleast one other forum member on here spoke direct to MTM themselves. It would appear the above note got more than a few people worried/ concerned and conflicted with their understanding of the product.

From what we have been told outside of the UK from the mother land of MTM. The chassis number / VIN link is really for the warranty side of things. They take a download of the cars data incase of any issues so they have a reference point... just like a proper remap. Not much else.

They don't really like people buying used items as they want to keep you in the MTM dealer network from day 1. Surely if people were drip fed in, they might actually buy more products later down the line, but hey..

As nice as some tuners maybe on the forums or on the telephone we all have to remember they are in the end business people who want/need to make money....Which I fully understand, but it would be nice to see some consistency. ( around information and price for starters )

One of the chaps in Germany was especially good and basically stated there is no reason why like for like boxes would not work on like for like cars and said that in most cases buyers do not take out the additional warranty as he has never had a case where one of his customers has needed it.

Warranty price is ontop of the new RRP price of the boxes.

For completeness sake you can take a used Cantronic box to a MTM agent if its from the same model and they can link VIN / Chassis numbers, complete a rolling road, and take a scan on your car etc. In the UK the cost I was quoted was £400+ vat. ( which is a crazy price) and lets hope that drops.. But this is not a necessity, and the German premium outlets said they personally would not bother.

The bottom line is the boxes run a map for the specific car model, wiring loom etc. If you want to use the cantronic box in a different model, lets say S3 to S4 for example then the boxes have to be reconfigured. If you buy a different make of car you would probably have to change the wiring loom as well. Thats when it gets very very expensive. Boxes do work lbetween like for like models.

Maybe they can be tweaked some how to perform even better on an individual car but to say they will not work is simply not true.

Oooh and......In the name of science and for the sake of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about . I have gone one step further. I have put my money down and have put my hard earned cash on the line.

I bought a used box from the classifieds.

I can categorically confirm its fitted in minutes, throws no error codes and appears to works a treat.

More to come on a seperate thread etc...

Jungle.

Reactions: donovan2123, Steph67, batch and 2 others
Well that's nice to see that the dealers and MTM all sing from the same hyme sheet..... NOT!!

I contacted MTM themselves who forwarded my email onto a UK MTM dealer who I had also contacted directly. I was told the above by that said dealer, which now appears to not be the case.

Let us know how you get on with the MTM box.

I would if I had the spare cash, it's a no brainer in my opinion, the warranty seals the deal! This or the ABT box. And with said warranty - no need to worry about removing it at all!

Totally rubbish and scare mungering. I have proved this is not the case. I have tested my box on two of my friends cars one being another golf r and one being audi s3 M-Cantronic worked fine on both with no need to program. So don't believe the hype about it needing reprogramming as it doesn't. It's plug and play on another car as long as the car is the same I.e golf 7r, Audi S3.

Reactions: jungle650
Yes, works on same identical cars plug and play wise, I thought that had already been established? The whole ideology or benefit with choosing MTM is for the warranty, which is what you are paying the premium price for isn't it. Buying a second hand unit is pretty pointless as the unit will probably cost around the same if not more than the cheaper popular boxes such as DTUK, but will not have the warranty. I believe what MTM mean when they say reprogramming is required for a second hand unit on an identical car is purely registering your chassis and engine number for a new warranty (which again is what you are paying the premium for) rather than scare mongering.

Even a second-hand MTM unit is more sophisticated and better-developed than cheaper boxes though?

Even a second-hand MTM unit is more sophisticated and better-developed than cheaper boxes though?

I agree, but warranty is a big thing to me

Reactions: batch
Yes, works on same identical cars plug and play wise, I thought that had already been established? The whole ideology or benefit with choosing MTM is for the warranty, which is what you are paying the premium price for isn't it. Buying a second hand unit is pretty pointless as the unit will probably cost around the same if not more than the cheaper popular boxes such as DTUK, but will not have the warranty. I believe what MTM mean when they say reprogramming is required for a second hand unit on an identical car is purely registering your chassis and engine number for a new warranty (which again is what you are paying the premium for) rather than scare mongering.
You realise warranty on the MTM is extra on top of the box when buying new don't you? So buying a new box does not give you warranty as it is it is an add on which costs.

I would also like to point out that that the box is untraceable and is removed in seconds so I genuinely think added warranty is pointless. Plus if something were to go wrong (which it won't) like all warranties you then have to prove that the issue is because of the M-Cantronic box. There are two UK tuners I know of who have 1 million pounds backed insurance which covers their customers drivetrain and Engine after tuning, I am yet to see anyone make a successful claim. Obviously I am not saying this would be the case with MTM/ABT as I have never ever seen or read of anyone having issues after one of their tunes.

You realise warranty on the MTM is extra on top of the box when buying new don't you? So buying a new box does not give you warranty as it is it is an add on which costs.

Yes it does! - the add on costs you are referring to are additional or extensions of the the warranty. If you go on the website it gives you no option to remove the standard warranty which is clearly in the product description.

Reactions: batch
Untraceable?? That's debatable. will Audi find out? Probably not but there's always a chance. Not a chance I'm willing to take on a 37k car I worked hard to own without a solid guarantee that any of the boxes are untraceable and that my Audi warranty will be honored. Not one of the tuning boxes producers/developers will ever tell you that they can guarantee it's untraceable - fact! Either way, this is a debate that's been had a million times on here already, fill your boots on the countless threads there are.