Your PCP Terms?

BiiBz

Reaction score
Hello all, long time stalker but first time poster.

I have been looking at a new A4 for quite some time. I've done the whole contacting different garages, online dealers, etc. Before I shake hands with the dealer I was curious as to what deal you had been offered.

My spec comes out at £38,000. My deposit of £4,500, dealer contribution of £2,500 plus and extra £2,500 they have offered me. Over 48 months at 8,000 miles a year comes out at £410 a month with a final purchase fee of 13,000 from Audi Wakefield (part of Sytner Group)

Should I take this and run or be looking elsewhere?

Happy to share via PM - not sure it's a good idea to be shared publicly - although I have my car now so not sure what they can do :)

This is my spec = http://uk.audi.com/AQK7MC5L. RRP comes also in at £38k, my deposit was lower but i had a partex on my previous A3 PCP. My payments are a few £ more a month and £1k extra on the final payment. So looks like swings and roundabouts in how they juggle the 3 numbers.

Considering what I am paying per month is the same as my A3 - this car blows my A3 2012 out the water, not even in the same class. Still smiling each time i go for a drive.

My deal was done by a broker who is a friend of a friend and has done my last 3 cars, so they put the deal together with a random Audi Dealer in UK. I had to drive and pick up - but was worth it.

Mine was abit over £38k but managed to get them down to £31995 after dealer £2500 contribution
I put done £3k deposit with monthly payments at £399.
Final purchase price £13k.

My ROTR price was approx £38k too. Got a 16.42% discount when taken on Audi PCP. I'm putting in a cash deposit of £5k. Over 48 months, 10,000 miles, monthly payments £320.

Reactions: h1r4
A4 Avant 2.0T FSI 252 Quattro S Line 5dr S Tronic - £38,430

Metallic Paint Tango Red - £645
Technology Pack - A4 - £1450.0
3 spoke flat bottom multi-function leather steering wheel - £225.0
Privacy glass - £450.0
Electric tilt/slide panoramic sunroof - £1250.0
Heated front seats - £300.0
Audi Virtual Cockpit - 12.3" LCD instrument cluster - £450.0

(£4125 of options)

Total - £43,200

Price after £6996/16.2% discount - £36,204
Deposit - £2000
Term - 48 Months
Mileage - 5k pa
GFV - £17,911.30
APR - 4.8%
Repayments - £452.46

Hope that helps!
David

How are you all getting such good deals? I'm looking for an A4 Avant as well, OTR price £44020, but my local dealer basically wouldn't discount it at all: the PCP deal with similar residual value to davejinx's came out at £600 a month with £5500 deposit from me. The only money offered off the OTR price was £3500 deposit contribution (i.e. effectively £1000 discount as I understand a £2500 dealer/Audi UK contribution is pretty standard). When I asked them if they could do any better on the price and come closer to the online quotes I'd seen they said "We'd give you more discount on a stock car but we don't need to discount on factory orders", at which point I thanked them for their time and left.

Am I the worst negotiator in the world, are you all using brokers rather than local dealers, was my local dealer particularly bad or is there something else I should be doing? Any advice gratefully received!

I think discounts are always available but you need to haggle and persist. Me, sod them hit the broker sites and get the best you can.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Hi alFR, I'm a complete convert to using www.carwow.co.uk. Say goodbye to haggling with dealers, but still get it from an Audi dealer :) Try it out, it's very easy.

Reactions: scotty76, ScottishA4B9, iambu and 1 other person
What I did was use carwow got 16.4% discount. And I was advised by fellow fourm members to email around to local dealers. So I got them to match my Coventry audi deal. It was 42k and got it discounted to 35k ( including dealer contributions and deposits etc )

Ended up with Bedford audi

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and iambu
Thanks for the replies. With carwow, you don't seem to be able to specify options like you can on drivethedeal, for example: am I missing something on the site?

I did try to get the local guys to match/come close to a drivethedeal price, but they had no interest at all in doing so. Maybe I just need to try contacting a few more. :)

Thanks for the replies. With carwow, you don't seem to be able to specify options like you can on drivethedeal, for example: am I missing something on the site?

I did try to get the local guys to match/come close to a drivethedeal price, but they had no interest at all in doing so. Maybe I just need to try contacting a few more. :)

Would definitely keep hunting...I pay nearly half that per month over 24months with the basically the same deposit on my well specced S5...

You can specify options on CarWow. Need to click the 'More Options' when you choose the colour.

I have notice the CarWow system has changed a fair bit. You now only get 5 quotes from local dealers. This means I no longer get quotes from the better dealerships like Coventry. Makes you wonder if they felt the format was too good for the customers....

In any case, I also had the problem that some local dealers didn't want to know, while thankfully my other local did me a cracking deal. About pitching them against each other and finding a dealer willing to do a good deal...some just don't care...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and h1r4
My dealer initially laughed when I asked for discount as they said 'no chance of a discount on a new model!'. I walked away and then came back with the quotes from Carwow etc and said that I would like to order from them but I would go where I could get the best deal. I then left it a couple of weeks and they came crawling back offering me the same price as Carwow quotes.
It also helped that they really needed to hit their sales target and I ordered in Feb when sales are normally down.

Reactions: scotty76
That's basically what I did, except I took the drivethedeal quote in the first time I went in to negotiate with them. We'll see if they come back to me, not holding my breath though as I know other people have had the same experience with them. They did say they'd hit their sales targets which probably has something to do with it although it might have been a negotiating tactic I guess.

Thanks for the info on carwow DrEskimo, will check that out.

The options are there if you look...

Coventry Audi seem to be the saving grace for most folks when trying to get a decent deal. If they respond on CarWow (and you might have to try a couple of times if another 5 dealers get in before them on you're first attempt) you'll typically be offered around 16.3% off list price for any spec of b9 including options (that's if you are taking the finance deal, £1000 less than that if not).

With Coventry though you're going through their fleet sales department, not the retail sales team in the showroom. This is why the discount is better than elsewhere, they are going after volume of sales rather than trying to maximise profit on individual sales. In theory that means a bit less personal service (if that matters to you) although most folk seem to have had a pretty good experience with them regarding pre-sales and collection. You might have to wait a bit for your car though, there was a five month lead time when I checked with them a month or so ago.

The closest any other dealer on CarWow was coming in at for me was around 11.5% discount so well worth trying to get a quote from Coventry printed out if you want something to arm yourself with when negotiating with your local dealer.

Quotes from DriveTheDeal and other broker sites recently don't seem to be quite as good as Coventry Audi are offering (although they are pretty close). One thing to be wary of though is dealers are getting better at defending themselves against customers coming in with quotes from brokers like DriveTheDeal. The common tactic seems to be telling you that the any quote you've got from the broker is not guaranteed and is more like an agreement from the broker to "try" and find you a car for that price, i.e. "There's no commitment from the broker to actually provide you with the car you've ordered from them, they may come back in a month and tell you they cant get the car or offer you an alternate....with us though you have it in writing that we will order and provide the exact car for the price we've quoted". While this is true, in practice its rarely a problem with most decent brokers / mainstream cars but its hard to argue against. With CarWow quotes you can remove that issue completely as they are quotes directly from other Audi dealers.

In my case my local dealer also took a deep breath and laughed when I went in asking for 16.5% discount a few weeks ago, pretty much said the £2500 deposit contribution was the best they were doing on the new A4 full stop. Upon pulling out the CarWow quote from Coventry though they suddenly got more serious and came back in less than two minutes with an offer of 15.5% off list price along with a very good deal on a trade-in for my current BMW. While I tried to push them further on this it was pretty obvious they were at their limit, Given that I'm 300 miles away from Coventry and they offered me a build slot within a month it was the right deal for me.

If you don't want to go with Coventry Audi for any reason then my general feeling is that if you can get a discount of around 14 - 16% from a local dealer then you're doing ok, anything less than that I'd be looking elsewhere.

Reactions: scotty76 and davejinx
Thanks, great info. Will definitely check out carwow and try some more local dealers: I'd prefer to buy local if I can but coventry isn't too far away to consider if necessary.

The service from Coventry was spot on, helpful and always got back to you quickly when I had questions

FYI carwow quotes came back between 7.4 and 11.5% discount, so a fair bit worse than others have got through them. Might try resubmitting the build later: anyone know if you're likely to get a better deal towards the end of the month/quarter or if it doesn't make any difference with carwow as they're always quoting the best they're willing to do?

I ordered my car at the start of Feb when car sales are typically low so there are bigger discounts for dealerships to meet sales targets. Car sales typically pick up around now so that could effect the lack of discount being offered because dealerships are not struggling to meet their sales targets.

FYI, they've changed the GFV on the vehicles since I ordered, but mostly only by a little (definitely only a tiny change on the 272 TDI). On the 2.0T 252PS Quattro, my deal has the GFV at £17,911.30, but now it's £15,909.65, which is a substantial change and equates to £44 pcm over 48 months.

This is the reason I ordered through Coventry Audi, rather my local Nottingham branch. Nottingham could match the discount, but they couldn't match the GFV that Coventry had got when they quoted me a month before, even after ringing up Audi/VW finance and arguing that they should be able to match it. Coventry could honour the deal as it was already offered... I would've ordered a little quicker if I'd known this change was happening (so I could have stuck with Nottingham), but I'm just glad I got there in time! :)

The GFVs for the diesel quattros on the Audi online finance calculator are the same as when I looked towards the end of last month: thought they might have gone down with the change in quarter but I guess any change was before that based on your dates or maybe they've not updated the calculator with the real GFVs... I suspect the latter, as it's still showing £18319 as the optional final payment for the 2L TFSI quattro @10000 miles/yr, which is to be honest a bit sneaky (to put it mildly) because it attracts you in with the prospect of a lower monthly payment then when you get to the dealer it turns out to be a lot more... It doesn't say anything in the small print about the calculator GFV not being anywhere near correct (even says "accurate at time of publication, March 2016", which is after your quote).

Edit: my bad, I was being an eejit and didn't alter the length of contract to 48 months. Your figure of £15909.65 is indeed correct. Doesn't explain why when I went to my dealer the other week they had a GFV of about £2k less in their illustration than in the Audi online one for a 3L TDI 218 quattro though (around £17500 rather than the £20125 shown on the Audi calculator for 3y at 10000/yr)...

Last edited:
Doesn't explain why when I went to my dealer the other week they had a GFV of about £2k less in their illustration than in the Audi online one for a 3L TDI 218 quattro though (around £17500 rather than the £20125 shown on the Audi calculator for 3y at 10000/yr)...

I take it you are talking about the Avant here, does seem strange they are that far off. In theory all dealers should be using the same Audi finance calculations (as per the Audi website) so unless they've screwed up their calculations something seems a little odd there.

I bought the same car but in Saloon form about three weeks ago. GFV for that is £19,422.75 currently on the website and that's the same as I was offered in the showroom last month (apparently its worth 2K more than you're being offered for the Avant after the same 3 years @ 10K/yr, wow!)

I take it you are talking about the Avant here, does seem strange they are that far off. In theory all dealers should be using the same Audi finance calculations (as per the Audi website) so unless they've screwed up their calculations something seems a little odd there.

Avant, yes: sorry, should have made that clear. I think they may have been trying it on, to be honest, (or putting in a low GFV to make it look like there would be more equity in the car at the end) as when I pointed it out they did say that they could adjust it upwards to reduce the monthlies. Am I correct in assuming the GFV isn't really impacted by any extras?

Avant, yes: sorry, should have made that clear. I think they may have been trying it on, to be honest, (or putting in a low GFV to make it look like there would be more equity in the car at the end) as when I pointed it out they did say that they could adjust it upwards to reduce the monthlies. Am I correct in assuming the GFV isn't really impacted by any extras?

Yes, by default they make no difference. Not sure if you could negotiate on that though, my dealer wasn't willing to.

Hey. New to the forum so apologies if this is too late to help, but I also started at Wakefield Audi, but eventually ended up at Harrogate Audi who did a much better deal for me. £43K car, £2k in from me = £550 pcm (4 years, 80,000 miles). Just another to add for the comparison.

I also decided to go for the service, maintenance and tyre plan given my milage.

Usual PCP or contract hire as Audi call it.

GFV set in the same ball park as others have stated so at the end of the 4 years you either have pay the balloon or hand the car back.

Just shy of 15K seems a good GFV for a car for that mileage. I'd have thought it would be more like 10?

I'm getting a 190 Sport Avant in Ibis white (standard no options) for £350 a month over 3 years 15k miles per year at 3.9% Apr. My deposit is only £2000 and GFV about £15.5k

Getting the car for £27500ish with discount and deposit contribution of £2500, so approx £5k off list price. Going through Coventry Audi, but Maidstone matched their deal.

Good deal then, maidstone are doing something similar for myself and just about matching coventry...

Reactions: Colh
I got my car for £28280 (12.1% discount) This included £2500 Audi contribution and £1370 from the dealer. I could of pushed for abit more but they gave me a better trade in price £500 more if I took the car before May so they could count it towards their April sales targets. This also beat the £400 price increase that has just happened.

My PCP was over 48 months @ £391 a month, £3000 deposit, GFV £9900 (22k miles a year) APR was 4.9%.

I rang up VW finance though to exercise my "right to withdraw" and paid £16 interest to pay it off. I found cheaper bank loan that will save me £800 in interest compared to the PCP

I got my car for £28280 (12.1% discount) This included £2500 Audi contribution and £1370 from the dealer. I could of pushed for abit more but they gave me a better trade in price £500 more if I took the car before May so they could count it towards their April sales targets. This also beat the £400 price increase that has just happened.

My PCP was over 48 months @ £391 a month, £3000 deposit, GFV £9900 (22k miles a year) APR was 4.9%.

I rang up VW finance though to exercise my "right to withdraw" and paid £16 interest to pay it off. I found cheaper bank loan that will save me £800 in interest compared to the PCP

How did you find getting accepted for the bank loan when you already had the car finance to your name? Make any difference?

I would be tempted to take this route, but was worried about the implications of having two finance agreements in such quick succession (obviously despite the fact you would pay off the PCP straight away..).

Cheers, sorry if this is being very nosey :p

Car finance seems to be the easiest to obtain because it's essential secured against the car.

Reason I probably managed to get a loan and car finance at same time is because credit reports arent generated until the end of each month. So you can basically apply for finance, loan, credit cards, and they don't show up until the following month. By then you have paid off the finance. I could be wrong but having just checked my credit report today it says I have £61000 of short term debt which I don't. It just says that because last months credit report includes the bank loan I got AND the PCP. This will be because I paid the PCP start of May which will not show until next month credit report.