Short plate no plate holder

Macdoon

Reaction score
Decided on a wee change to start this year's modding off.... Short pressed plated fitted without the plate holder

Reactions: Sc08 LAB, GjrBartlett, Garry Houseman and 5 others
i like that mate :)

you've got 3 missed months to make up for :tonguewink:

Reactions: Macdoon, xpoweruk and RS5 JON
Looks awesome mate. I've just ordered the exact same short pressed plates and an rs4 grille is also on the cards.

How did u attach the plate? Also do u have a short plate on the rear?

Reactions: Macdoon
That looks mint mate :)

i like that mate :)

you've got 3 missed months to make up for :tonguewink:
Lots to do lol.... :yes:
And the modding season has began, looking good Mac. :racer:

JG
Aye pal.... Keeping it quiet from the Mrs ..... Again...lol:whistle2:
Looks awesome mate. I've just ordered the exact same short pressed plates and an rs4 grille is also on the cards.

How did u attach the plate? Also do u have a short plate on the rear?
Not fitted the rear short plate.. Having the rear painted first....
As for fitting.... I cut a thin piece of ali, drilled two holes in it, ground down the heads of two bolts, thin enough so they wouldn't foul the number plate, then bolted the ali platebto the grille, then stuck number to the ali.

Reactions: Chop., RS5 JON and xpoweruk
Did the grille come with the fixings to fix the Ali plate to the grille or did u just use your own nuts and bolts?
I have some Ali plate so this sounds like a good way of getting a very clean finish.

I need to do this as I also have bought a short plate for my car. How did you bolt the aluminium piece (I assume this is what you mean by ali) to the honeycomb? as the holes in the honeycomb are quite large

Reactions: Macdoon and RS5 JON
Did the grille come with the fixings to fix the Ali plate to the grille or did u just use your own nuts and bolts?
I have some Ali plate so this sounds like a good way of getting a very clean finish.
I used some old bolts I had, they were 2" long, the grille came with parking sensor fittings, I used them to fit against back of the grille, washers then nuts and voilà......sorted

Looks well @Macdoon good work!
Cheers pal

Is it easy to whip off for shows etc?
I just had the same dilema as I need to plastic weld the old removable plate holder shorter (I dont have or know how to plastic weld :p)

for temporary use, I made the plate releasable with releasable ties, duck tape and epoxy resin:
25656126380_66251a1b60_c.jpg

25930846286_de81c68a2a_c.jpg

I have little hands so isnt too fiddly to undo and tie back behind the honey combs.
and the little cusions stop it rubbing/moving.

Reactions: Macdoon, V6 Quatt and xpoweruk
I just had the same dilema as I need to plastic weld the old removable plate holder shorter (I dont have or know how to plastic weld :p)

for temporary use, I made the plate releasable with releasable ties, duck tape and epoxy resin:

I have little hands so isnt too fiddly to undo and tie back behind the honey combs.

Manda, I'm slightly in love with the front of your car. The missus and I are current debating on which colour to wrap the bottom diffuser bar and will be ordering an rs4 grille. Thinking candy true blood red for the bottom bar and the bottom section of the mirrors similar to chops yellow!!!!

Are these short plates legal ?

The police here are super anal !

Yes the short plates are legal so long as the lettering is off the correct font and the edges of the letters are the legal space from the edge of the plate.

Legal as long as spacing is bang on, and remember, there is also a legal requirement for the post code of the location the car was registered in to be detailed bottom centre of the plate (or where the replacemtns plates are made). Everyone forgets the postcode detail. I don;t have it either but some officers are starting to pick up on it, especially when you abuse the other rules.

I have messed with my spacing but never taken the ****, I was thinking about a shorter plate.
IMG 3949

Lots to do lol.... :yes:

Aye pal.... Keeping it quiet from the Mrs ..... Again...lol:whistle2:

Not fitted the rear short plate.. Having the rear painted first....
As for fitting.... I cut a thin piece of ali, drilled two holes in it, ground down the heads of two bolts, thin enough so they wouldn't foul the number plate, then bolted the ali platebto the grille, then stuck number to the ali.

Looks good, but you also could of countersunk the holes in the ally plate, and used countersunk bolts to get a flush finish.

Looks good, but you also could of countersunk the holes in the ally plate, and used countersunk bolts to get a flush finish.
Yep could have, but got aflush finish all the same

Manda, I'm slightly in love with the front of your car. The missus and I are current debating on which colour to wrap the bottom diffuser bar and will be ordering an rs4 grille. Thinking candy true blood red for the bottom bar and the bottom section of the mirrors similar to chops yellow!!!!

Shucks thankyou, any candy colour looks really good IMO :)

Completely legal so long as
*11mm from reg characters to edge of plate
*33mm between the first first characters and 3 final random digits
*post code and BSA displayed
*Correct size/font lettering and reflective backgrounds

Where do you guys get your short plates, any online configurators so you can see what it looks like. I use fancyplates.com but they don't do short versions.

I got mine from myshowplates.com , same place I got all mine in the past. I got the 16x4.5 option from the drop down list, emailed first to ask which is the smallest legal size for my registration length and they got back in less than 5 minutes.
There are other places of course if you have less digits and want it shorter. Some places you can order and just ask for the smallest as legally possible and they will chop them down after.

poop. just received my short pressed plates from ebay and thought they were 100% road legal but they don't have postcode or bs number.
my fault for not checking the listing correctly.
what shall I do? don't want to get stopped by the fuss

poop. just received my short pressed plates from ebay and thought they were 100% road legal but they don't have postcode or bs number.

does their ad anywher imply that they are just show plates? or the latter that they are road legal.
If advertised as number plates and not as show plates then i would ask for a return as 'not fit for purpose'. if they dont accept then you raise an ebay case of 'not fit for purpose' and ebay will give your money back .

These items you can get away with, its spacing and sizing that will get you pulled up. I haven't BS and post code on any of my plates for the past 16 yrs, never been pulled up on it.

does their ad anywher imply that they are just show plates? or the latter that they are road legal.
If advertised as number plates and not as show plates then i would ask for a return as 'not fit for purpose'. if they dont accept then you raise an ebay case of 'not fit for purpose' and ebay will give your money back .

Oops...... It does say on the listing something about show plates. I just saw the sizing of the letters etc and assumed.
It says the spacing and lettering is of legal sizing

@Macdoon I notice you don't have the postcode or bs number. Have u had any problems with the fuzz?

Had a good result on this. Emailed the seller as the rear plate arrived with a scratch on it (see pic) so they said if I email them copy of the v5 they will remake them foc but with the bs number and postcode on so fully road legal.
Also asked if they could make the front plate as short as legally possible.

Attachments

• 20160405_111512.jpg
    20160405_111512.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 469
Had a good result on this. Emailed the seller as the rear plate arrived with a scratch on it (see pic) so they said if I email them copy of the v5 they will remake them foc but with the bs number and postcode on so fully road legal.
Also asked if they could make the front plate as short as legally possible.

Thats awesome, I wish my rear plate was even shorter! tempted to trim it down a little more, I have multiples of it so no harm in trying (seller error means i got the same plate twice)

where did you get that front splitter from ?

where did you get that front splitter from ?
from the internet.. broken and cracking apart (in New condition), I filled and fixed mine at home (with allot of time and patience). Seller is not active any more.
The rest on ebay I have seen are poor quality like mine was and I think the same seller, but he keeps making new accounts (bad feedback), was advertised £150 plus post, @Chop. bought the same one as me off an ebay seller, his was just as bad, delivered cracker, fell apart on the car so he ripped it off through rage lol, mine is only ok because I put allot of repair work into it but you should avoid him.

You can get the same style one from STVBek in America unless you see good feedback on another sellers quality.

Reactions: Chop.
New plates finally arrived now with postcode and bs number and no scratches.
Just waiting for the snow to stop so can get the rear fitted and then have to wait until next month for my grille to get the front one sorted.

Attachments

• 20160415_170231.jpg
    20160415_170231.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 510
Reactions: Chop. and Macdoon