Spotify

James McCombe

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got my new Audi a3 s-line and want to play my music on spotify through the MMI cable but every time I try it goes straight back to the apple music I have.

Is there a way to stop this happening so I can play my spotify music?

It definitely works because i do this with mine (i prefer bluetooth but it disables when the ignition is off so use cable when washing him etc)...

One thing i noted when i plugged mine in is Spotify was already active and paused playback. You can't navigate playlists/artists etc this defaults to apple music...

I had to switch to Apple Music in the end as the Spotify support (or lack thereof) was driving me mental.

I had both Apple Music and Spotify (on trial) and found that Apple Music worked fine through the MMI cable (Bluetooth off) but if you tried Spotify through the cable then it immediately paused Spotify and redirected you to Apple Music. The annoyance I found was that if you were listening to Spotify via Bluetooth then you couldn't charge your phone as as soon as you attached the cable it amused and swapped to Apple Music.

The MMI will revert to playing music off whatever the native music app is for the phone. In the case of iOS, Apple Music is integrated into the native Music app, hence why it works well with the MMI. Since spotify is a third party app, getting it to play through the MMI involves some trickery in loading the app up first and then plugging it in, and getting it to play through controlling the iPhone directly, not the MMI. Same as trying to play music from YouTube.

Since you can only control Spotify music using the phone, it makes more sense to play it over BT. Although, the fact it tempts people even more to fiddle abut with their sodding phone when they are meant to be driving I feel loathed to recommend this....

Reactions: thebluefox and lou15p
Sorry to hijack the thread but... How much control do you have over Apple Music over AMI?

Are you able to browse 'For you' etc. or only music you have saved to your library?

Thinking of sticking an old iPhone in my arm rest for music alone.

Sorry to hijack the thread but... How much control do you have over Apple Music over AMI?

Are you able to browse 'For you' etc. or only music you have saved to your library?

Thinking of sticking an old iPhone in my arm rest for music alone.

Just the music you saved to your library, but you don't have to download it. It can work by streaming it as well. You have to add it to your music playlist though.

Just the music you saved to your library, but you don't have to download it. It can work by streaming it as well. You have to add it to your music playlist though.
Thanks! Suppose I can live with that!

Does it show album art on the standard MMI?

Afraid I cant help you there...don't own a S3 and don't know how different the MMI it is to my S5 and I never had Apple Music longer than the free trial...! I'm too old fashioned and enjoy buying CDs/Vinyl..!

I had this issue as well and actually contacted Audi about it. Ended up that only Bluetooth would work correctly. So that is what I am using now. Works fine.

Album art seems to work *most* of the time, though there will be the odd album that doesn't for some reason. Since I've got my new phone (6S) its seemed better than when I had my 5S.

Album art seems to work *most* of the time, though there will be the odd album that doesn't for some reason. Since I've got my new phone (6S) its seemed better than when I had my 5S.
I never get album art it seems.... Just Pop/Classical etc pic. Lame.

I had both Apple Music and Spotify (on trial) and found that Apple Music worked fine through the MMI cable (Bluetooth off) but if you tried Spotify through the cable then it immediately paused Spotify and redirected you to Apple Music. The annoyance I found was that if you were listening to Spotify via Bluetooth then you couldn't charge your phone as as soon as you attached the cable it amused and swapped to Apple Music.

That sounds more to me that the Apple device is giving preferential treatment to its own service over another.

That sounds more to me that the Apple device is giving preferential treatment to its own service over another.

Not really...its down to the MMI only recognising music in the native app of the phone. It just so happens that Apple Music is integrated into the native iOS music app. Spotify is a third party app so doesn't have the same functionality.

It's an just the way the MMI works...

Rather disappointed it's not Apple's fault, I *#~*ing hate them! :)

Rather disappointed it's not Apple's fault, I *#~*ing hate them! :)
Ditto.... I had this out with my dealer a while back as the sales man(now left co.) told me it would bring up the graphics if I had an I phone on Spotify of Deezer WRONG! even if downloaded and stored on phone for offline use. I have Tech pack the nearest you get for graphics is the generic Classical /Pop/Jazz etc if it recognises the genre of the artist.I prefer to have MMI cable in as its a cleaner and more balanced sound and less compressed but it does mean you cant change tracks through MMI.

I fear I maybe making the reluctant switch to Apple music at some point in the future urhh...

Ditto.... I had this out with my dealer a while back as the sales man(now left co.) told me it would bring up the graphics if I had an I phone on Spotify of Deezer WRONG! even if downloaded and stored on phone for offline use. I have Tech pack the nearest you get for graphics is the generic Classical /Pop/Jazz etc if it recognises the genre of the artist.I prefer to have MMI cable in as its a cleaner and more balanced sound and less compressed but it does mean you cant change tracks through MMI.

I fear I maybe making the reluctant switch to Apple music at some point in the future urhh...

Why not spend the monthly subscription on buying CDs every month...? You actually own the music, get a better quality digital version and ,when stick it on a SD card you can have all the album art you desire! No extra money to Apple for renting music and all benefits of good quality music to blast through the B&O! My solution :)

Yes, yes, its far less convenient but its worth it :p

CD's are dying haven't you heard..lol Seriously though that's exactly what I have been doing especially when I discovered you cant copy your CD's onto the Tech pack hard drive as promoted... convenience is the word.

The MMI will revert to playing music off whatever the native music app is for the phone. In the case of iOS, Apple Music is integrated into the native Music app, hence why it works well with the MMI. Since spotify is a third party app, getting it to play through the MMI involves some trickery in loading the app up first and then plugging it in, and getting it to play through controlling the iPhone directly, not the MMI. Same as trying to play music from YouTube.

Since you can only control Spotify music using the phone, it makes more sense to play it over BT. Although, the fact it tempts people even more to fiddle abut with their sodding phone when they are meant to be driving I feel loathed to recommend this....
But u can still skip tracks etc when playing via BT

CD's are dying haven't you heard..lol Seriously though that's exactly what I have been doing especially when I discovered you cant copy your CD's onto the Tech pack hard drive as promoted... convenience is the word.

I'm still buying vinyl so I clearly haven't heard much...!

Yea I get the convenience factor and it's a major one. Still, it seems a shame to have a nice sound system in the car only to stream really poor quality music files...seems strange to me!