S3 steering weight vs A3 steering weight.

Baka

Reaction score
Hey guys, I messed myself up in a car crash ages ago and can't do heavy steering anymore.

I'd like an S3 but a lot of reviews say the steering is heavy (even Evo!).

I can pay a mobility company to remove, lighten and refit the rack but it's £1100!

I know an S3 rack is a popular mod for the A3 as it's 2.7 turns.

Also I just got rid of the MKIV Golf GTi I had for 2 years and could cope with the steering in that fine.

Sooooooooo, can I fit a A3 rack in the S3 and get A3 light steering?

Or are other factors at play (caster, camber, toe, steering axis, etc)? As I know the S3 has different hubs and stuff.

Any help or input appreciated, thank you! :D

Not sure on mechanical differences in the steering system, but I'm sure you can compensate by installing a marginally bigger steering wheel (if that doesn't bother you). FWIW, my S3's steering isn't stiff at all (to me, but I'm a big guy).

Sooooooooo, can I fit a A3 rack in the S3 and get A3 light steering?

Short Answer:

No

Long answer:

If you wanto keep the ESP, Yes - theoretically, but you would probably be first person to try ..

The ESP system ofthe S3 is tied to the turn-rate of the rack, so any rack change will create positional errors triggering the ABS system

Conversions have been carried the other way - for example Golf/Bora 4motion with a full front suspension conversion to S3/R32/TT spec - but to retain ESP large numbers of sensors have to changed, recoded or by-passed

With ESP disabled don't think there are any issues

Mechanically, Hubs don't need to be changed - iirc only the rack - seem to recall the S3 pump is maybe 1/2mm wider than standard pump body (?) - swapped the brackets too

The better solution however would be to fit a higher psi power steering pump

imho I'd put the S3/R32/TT steering at no more thna 10% heavier than A3/Golf/etc

110psi pump would probably be ample

As to what actual pump is out there to do the job, sorry no idea

As far as I'm aware, changing the pump pressure has no effect of the ESP system

ps

considering the requirement for lighter steering etc - maybe put somthing like 125psi - 150psi even

Be on a par with the type of cars 'pushed' to disability users

I suspect this is what the mobility company would have done - for that eye-watering fee

Last edited:
Thanks guys! If you think the S3 steering is only a bit heavier than a standard A3 I'll give it a go. Hadn't considered the effect it would have on the ESP and it's not something I'd want to disable.

My Golf was pretty knackered, the steering on one I had before and my folks old one, was definitely lighter. So hopefully it'll be okay.

If all else fails I'll try and find a decent A3 and get to stage 2 over time.

Thanks guys! If you think the S3 steering is only a bit heavier than a standard A3 I'll give it a go. Hadn't considered the effect it would have on the ESP and it's not something I'd want to disable.

My Golf was pretty knackered, the steering on one I had before and my folks old one, was definitely lighter. So hopefully it'll be okay.

If all else fails I'll try and find a decent A3 and get to stage 2 over time.

Where are you based? I'm sure a fellow S3 driver nearby wouldn't mind showing you the steering on it? My Mrs hates heavy steering but she didn't mind the S3, it was pretty light. My beema is mad light on comfort, on sport it's bluddy heavy!

Where are you based? I'm sure a fellow S3 driver nearby wouldn't mind showing you the steering on it? My Mrs hates heavy steering but she didn't mind the S3, it was pretty light. My beema is mad light on comfort, on sport it's bluddy heavy!

I'm off to try a couple tomorrow of I'm not too hungover! Definitely sounds promising as there's a lot of votes now for it being not that heavy. Fingers crossed.

I'm looking forward to when I can afford a decent car with selectable steering weight in a few years. I did look at the Focus ST but the performance vs mpg on them is nuts. You might as well run a V8 if your paying for that much fuel.

Fabia's have adjustable steering weight

I assume a more powerful pump too

Always wondered why Fabia/Polo should get them and not the A3/Golf/Octavia