rear suspension knock

manwithtool1

Reaction score
I have two early A3's 1.8t AGU. both have a annoying knock coming from the rear when you hit a pothole. As both cars have the same sound I assume there might be a common fault or part that fails ?
It sounds like the exhaust hitting but I've yanked on that and can't re create it. I think that only leaves rear trailing arm bushes or the shocks themselves ?
Any clues guesses advice welcome.

I have two early A3's 1.8t AGU. both have a annoying knock coming from the rear when you hit a pothole. As both cars have the same sound I assume there might be a common fault or part that fails ?
It sounds like the exhaust hitting but I've yanked on that and can't re create it. I think that only leaves rear trailing arm bushes or the shocks themselves ?
Any clues guesses advice welcome.

Most likely rear bushes or perhaps even broken/snapped or cracked spring...

I had a look at the bushes and although I'm no expert they didn't seem too bad. Have to admit I didn't look at the springs. I guess if it is the bushes it means dropping the rear axle or is it possible to do one side at a time ? Also I guess poly bushes are available....Bit expensive but so much easier to install !