Alarm Siren query.

Rodgeri

Reaction score
Hi.

I took apart my s4 b7 cab the other day to attempt the siren repair as the alarm does not work, only flashing lights.

Low and behold I got to the siren location to find NO SIREN!

I have picked a compatible VAG one off eBay, confirmed as working by seller, but when connected to the car it still does not sound?

Do I need to do some programming, or is a there a simple procedure to get the car to recognise the new siren?

Ian.

Hi.

I took apart my s4 b7 cab the other day to attempt the siren repair as the alarm does not work, only flashing lights.

Low and behold I got to the siren location to find NO SIREN!

I have picked a compatible VAG one off eBay, confirmed as working by seller, but when connected to the car it still does not sound?

Do I need to do some programming, or is a there a simple procedure to get the car to recognise the new siren?

Ian.
I repaired the sounder on my 58 Cabrio recently and had it off the car for a few weeks while I sourced batteries to modify. When I refitted the unit it started working correctly immediately it was plugged in so no reprogramming is necessary.

Are you sure that you got the correct unit? The code on mine is 8LO 951 605A and I've read somewhere that you must have the exact same code as the one originally fitted for it to work.

I bet your car's previous owner had the same problem as I did and simply removed the siren rather than forking out serious money (£140+) for a replacement unit. It's ridiculous that the batteries in these sounders cannot be replaced and unbelievable that replacements are unobtainable even from Varta, the manufacturers.

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

Thanks chap. Lucky the one I got was only 30 quid! Back to the drawing board..

Do you have a location for the sounder?
My VCDS is reporting a sounder connection problem, so I want to get in and check it is connected, with battery, etc, but only have the vague "under the roof compartment, driver's side" description from your other thread.
Have you managed to check the sounder whilst it is off the car?
Many thanks

Do you have a location for the sounder?
My VCDS is reporting a sounder connection problem, so I want to get in and check it is connected, with battery, etc, but only have the vague "under the roof compartment, driver's side" description from your other thread.
Have you managed to check the sounder whilst it is off the car?
Many thanks
Sorry to hear that you are having problems, Tolak. The repair is quite simple once you have the unit on the bench.

Fortunately, I took some pictures when I did mine and these should guide you to the right place.

If I remember correctly, to get at the panel that needs to be removed I started with the roof raised and then operated the motor until the rear cover unlatched and the cover was vertical. I think I then propped it in that position with a piece of wood before turning off the ignition as I didn't want it to drop if the hydraulics depressurised. (I don't know if this was necessary).

The siren lies behind this cover on the right hand side of the car.
Audisiren01

With the cover removed (you will need to remove the plastic block and a couple of other trim fixings to get access) this is what you will see (my apologies for the slightly out of focus shot):
Audisiren02

Undo the two star screws and the whole unit can be pulled clear still attached to the mounting bracket:
Audisiren03

This is the complete unit as removed:
Audisiren04

Separate the halves of the sealed case using a sharp knife:
Audisiren05

Unclip and remove the printed circuit board:
Audisiren06jpg

I'm sorry but that's all the pictures I have. I cut off the legs that mount the batteries to the pcb and then soldered wires to the contacts taking a short lead out of the casing through a hole I drilled and then sealed with some silicone sealer before gluing the case back together with Araldite epoxy.

I bought a small plastic box from Maplins to contain a couple of Varta batteries that were identical to the originals except for the contact leg positions and soldered these to the fly-lead from the unit. I searched everywhere for original batteries but even Varta don't list them in their catalogue so a modification was unavoidable.

I then replaced the siren and simply tucked the new battery box behind the chunk of foam sound insulation you can see in the above pictures.

When the unit was connected back into circuit it worked perfectly first time without needing any re-programming.

In answer to your question, I didn't know how to test the siren off the car so I simply assumed that it was a battery problem and resigned myself to buying a new unit from Audi if I was proved wrong. Fortunately, luck was on my side and I hope you are similarly favoured when you get stuck in.

I hope this is of use to you.

Excellent, Marklar, these are exactly what I was hoping for.
And, better than that, I don't have to take out the roof compartment "floor", which is somewhat fragile in my car (from previous owners, I hasten to add).
I shall follow your process for the batteries; if possible, I may try to squeeze the batteries (insulated) into the same space.
Thanks very much for having the forethought to photograph.
And I like the car in red! :)