Urgent Assistance

grimey121uk

Reaction score
Reactions: pburv
My dealer has agreed after a bit of arguing for us to take it back on Tuesday to take the master technician out for a spin but suggested that it would of been PDI'd so a major issue would have shown up then.

My findings so far;
Compared with a Seat Ibiza with the same engine the A1 feels a lot down on power

A 100 mile run yesterday achived 46mpg noting that 85 miles of that was motorway at a constant 60-65mph.

We took it for a spin today around town for 45 minutes and it managed 30.5mpg driven carefully although interestingly the Mrs followed me the the RS and achived 23mpg!

Seems very low.
I agree, like I said in to Audi I am not expecting 80mpg instead I'm concerned that the MPG of a 1.6tdi is not dissimilar to a 300bhp S3.

With the S3 I didn't care about economy, I was just amazed how good it was. As expected the RS does guzzle fuel but that's one of the reason I picked this particular second car and not the S1 the Mrs initially wanted.

Reactions: mike170 and pburv
Surely there are some techy's on here that could give you some idea as to what might be causing issues of low mpg....
@veeeight maybe?...hint hint...:friends:

Reactions: grimey121uk
Just an update, the Mrs is taking the car down tomorrow and giving the dealer the following option;
1) Acknowlege that there is an issue with the car and fix it, we did an hour run yesterday and averaged 36mpg.
2) If they say there is no fault we will reject the car under the sales of good act as it isn't performing as expected. How can a small diesel only achive similar economy to a 300bhp Audi S3 noting that our discussion with the sales staff was around getting the second car to save money on fuel.
3) if they don't take us seriously we will reject that car via the finance company.

If anyone has any advice on getting the matter resolved place let me know.

I do hope you get it sorted, your MPG is abysmal and I can with an S3 manual easily beat your A1 fuel figures.

I do hope you get it sorted, your MPG is abysmal and I can with an S3 manual easily beat your A1 fuel figures.
Thanks

Im hoping it will be fairly straight forward tomorrow as we complained to the dealer 4 hours after purchasing the car. The service department tried to fob us off saying low economy is very unlikely to be a fault but I suspect if we kick of it will get resolved one way or another.

We have also noticed a vibration in the steering wheel around 60mph which I suspect is wheel balance.

Any advice around rejection would be appreciated even though it is a last resort.

Be firm be prepared to walk away and leave it at the dealers. We managed to reject a new Metro many years ago.
Are you in the RAC or AA, do you have legal aid with your house insurance.

Ask to borrow another A1 of similar spec and check out the fuel consumption on that.

My wifes 1.6 Petrol Mini Cooper does just over 50mpg at 75 on the motorway.

Did you pay for any of the car purchase using a credit card ? If so, you should be covered by Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act.

See Moneysavingexpert website for more help / information.

Be firm be prepared to walk away and leave it at the dealers. We managed to reject a new Metro many years ago.
Are you in the RAC or AA, do you have legal aid with your house insurance.

Ask to borrow another A1 of similar spec and check out the fuel consumption on that.

My wifes 1.6 Petrol Mini Cooper does just over 50mpg at 75 on the motorway.
My misses mini 1.6 does very similar. No way an a1 should be returning that at 60mph unless you're pulling a caravan

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Agree with all of the above. As I've said my A3 1.6TDI gives me just shy of 50mpg around town and upwards to 70mpg on a run. 50-60mph on a run easily gives me 65-70mpg. I'm presuming the A1 is lighter than the A3 and mine is S-Tronic so the manual should be slightly better.

Just a quick update,

The Mrs has been to the dealer today and they can't find a fault as such but admit the fuel economy is a bit poor, they have reset the ECU (not made any difference as of yet) and have ordered us 4 brand new premium tires which are being fitted tomorrow to replace the budget no names on at present.

They have then asked us to report back on Saturday with our findings. The car was paid for on PCP and I have phoned the finance company already who suggested as a first port of call that I get the dealer to resolve the issue, if not I can raise a complaint with the quality of good through them.

Fair play to the dealer for trying to resolve the matter but I'm not convinced that an ECU reset and set of tires is going to claw back 20mpg. The technician today took it out for a spin and said "I've just got 50mpg on a run down the A666 and back" to which the Mrs replied "that's a 50mph limit dual carriageway with no stopping and the engine was up to running temperature before you set off, our S3 would of managed 45mpg at a stretch".

As the weather warms up my A3 averaged 64mpg on a cross country work run of 33 miles, in winter this drops to 55-56, a below 70mph motorway trip would be low 70s.
I get about 500 miles per tank full and on my work run I usually see 60mpg by the end of the trip.