Odd noise, baring or CV?

mattpanton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Over the last couple of months or so I've been hearing a noise develop from the front passenger side wheel, it isn't a constant whine but rather a sort of whoomp whoomp whoomp (sorry, difficult to describe in text!!) noise, dependant on speed, is this likely to be the baring or the CV? Is there an easy way of diagnosing it either way?
One other thing I've noticed sometimes when on full lock in reverse there is a bang from that corner as if something is out of place, it doesn't happen often though. Could this be linked with the noise?

Thanks

sounds like the cv joint. start the engine,turn wheel full lock, put it in gear then let clutch out, if it knocks then its the cv joint. wheel bearing noises are at higher speeds as a rule.

ahh right, that sounds about right, as the noise is noticable from about 20mph up. I'll try it on full lock tomorrow and have a listen.
Any idea what sort of cost i'm looking at for a new CV and boot?

shouldnt be more than £50, try gsf before an audi dealer.

Well, Car went in today to have the baring done, turns out that both the baring and the CV had gone!! So instead of an £80 job, it spiraled into a £260 job! Bit of an expensive day, and on the way home I think I can here the drivers side starting to do the same thing!!! ARRRGH!!