next job - carbon clean!

Darren1983

Reaction score
Hi All,

Okay so ive done a lot or reading up on the carbon build up on the tfsi engine and ways of cleaning it.

Mine is certainly going to need this doing, it has 120k on the clock and no evidence of ever having it cleaned. Ive been reading about 2 companies Terraclean and Carbon Clean Yorskhire/Lancashire, from what ive read it would be pretty pointless going to one of these so it only leaves one option... good old DIY job!!

Again with this method I have read different ways on how to do this. The one im going to do is to take the inlet manifold off and use break cleaner and some good old fashioned scrubbing/scrapping(a well known member called Craig Cull did this method and seemed to work fine).

So I suppose my question is how many other members have done this/had it done and do you have any other words of wisdom before I attempt this.

Thanks
Darren

couple of things Matey.

I think the inlet manifold is a botch to remove, ain't as easy as say the 20v ones to take off.

I believe you will need the car off the ground (if Quattro, fwd is ok with just the front) so you can rotate the crank to insure the valves are closed on the cylinder you are working on to stop debris falling into the cylinder.

thanks mate,

yea ive read up on it a lot and got a step by step guide to removing the manifold and also yea ive read that I need to remove drivers side wheel and wheel well to be able to rotate the crank.