Passenger Tilting Reverse Mirror not Returning Properly

Chris90

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Enabled the passenger mirror tilt so the mirror tilts when reverse is active. However ive noticed that when I pull away again, the mirror doesnt return to its original position always and sometimes ends up pointing a bit too low meaning I have to manually adjust it.

Does anyone elses do this or is it just mine?

Chris

Nope, mine does that too. Bit frustrating if I'm honest. Anyone know why or if there is a fix?

Seen someone mention some mirror threshold for returning thats in vagcom, but not sure if they got it to work

That's a point, not checked that actually. Might be worth hooking up me ross-tech at some point and having a peek!

Well adoption is greyed out on our A4's so rules that out.

Only thing I could find was something about mirror memory position in the long coding. Enabled it and see how it goes

Just enable it in VCDS. Providing you have the right door module, the mirror will tilt down when reverse selected and the mirror adjustment knob is set to passenger.

I have enabled the mirror dipping function too via VCDS and have observed similar results with the return, although mine returns a bit higher each time so eventually would show more of the sky than the road to me but I adjust this every few days to my liking.

Although its not a big issue, but would be great to know there is a way to return the mirror to the exact previous position

Oh dear this was one of the functions I was interested in, but after reading your issues my give it a miss unless you guys find a solution.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it dude. It's only 9/10 it happens and it's a split second to push the knob upwards so the mirror is aligned again.

Reactions: feva
After tilting the mirror via reverse if you switch your knob back to the middle for heated mirror it returns it back to the position you had it at.

After tilting the mirror via reverse if you switch your knob back to the middle for heated mirror it returns it back to the position you had it at.

It does return even without doing that, only problem or should I say slight inconvenience is that sometimes it returns to a position slightly offset from the original which is quite unnoticeable but after a few days or a week you notice the difference.

Yeah I know for your mirrors to tilt and return I think it's somewhere on the forum that you need memory seats for this to work. Check the forum I know it's somewhere on here about the mirror tilt.

I wouldn't worry about it dude. It's only 9/10 it happens and it's a split second to push the knob upwards so the mirror is aligned again.
Any chance you fancy coding mine to allow it Chris?

Hi...the mirror will only go back to it's place if you have memory seats.
The mirror function is only standard from the factory with memory seats and does go back to it's place. Enabling with vcds is a kind of hack that does most of the job. Good enough for me though

Reactions: 8BallAddict
Would explain it then.

Feva - defo need a meet up one time and have a chat :D

Hi...the mirror will only go back to it's place if you have memory seats.
The mirror function is only standard from the factory with memory seats and does go back to it's place. Enabling with vcds is a kind of hack that does most of the job. Good enough for me though

That could explain a few things, I was trying to do this on my friends A5 B8.5 but I couldn't access the passenger door controls via VCDS on his car. I think he has memory seats so maybe there is a different way of enabling it on those if it hasnt been from factory!

Thing is my car doesnt have electronic/memory seats so would seem odd it wouldnt allow access to the door modules because of that.

Thing is my car doesnt have electronic/memory seats so would seem odd it wouldnt allow access to the door modules because of that.
This is what I was thinking about why mine wouldn't be able to be done Chris

But found these bits of info about it

0076c23280c32cc3e1ba0b2aef2c440a.jpg

9be8e9dd20bb28a05e22b4561f7b62c7.jpg

Not sure if it's related?

There was a check box on mine for the long coding helper in VCDS so just checked that and it worked :D

There was a check box on mine for the long coding helper in VCDS so just checked that and it worked :D
So take it returns to original position now Chris?

And also I've not a clue what all that I posted meant, but thought you would

Seems to be. Havent used it much over the last week but had no issues so far.

If you don't have memory seats then you won't have the memory mirrors. With memory seats as they are adjusted the mirrors also track to the new position as they have sensors on them to determine what position they are in.
Although the mirror will dip in reverse without having the memory option the module just applies a pulse to the mirror to drive it down and then pulses it to hopefully put it back where it came from.
As the module has no way of telling where the mirror is actually located this is all just guesswork. Hence it may seem to work initially but after a few times reversing you will find the mirror incorrectly adjusted.

I'm over your way on Sunday after 1300 if you about Chris? Fancy coding my mirror?

Could do if im around buddy. Not sure what ive planned at the minute but we can get it done.

If you take off the door autolock feature it returns to the correct height. Of course then you have to lock doors from the button.

I don't exactly know. But I noticed it after I retrofitted a cruise control and the battery was disconnected.
When the autolock was off the mirror came back to the original position. When autolock is on the mirror stops when the doors are locked.

Interesting..... I wouldn't want to turn auto-lock off, but I think you can change the speed it locks with VCDS?

Reactions: xpoweruk
Not quite sure how turning off auto lock would help....the mirror should return back to its position once the car is doing above 5mph and the autolock doesn't kick in until 10 mph.

So unless you are accelerating sharply, the auto lock shouldn't interfere and by the time the doors autolock, the mirror should have returned!