2004 A3 3.2 CEL when revving 4-5k rpm issue

Skuddy

Reaction score
Hi. Any help or feedback with regards to this issue would be appreciated.

My 2004 A3 3.2 V6 (manual transmission) has been standing in the garage for almost a year. Previously Ive had no issues with it, apart from occasional issues when driving on a bumpy round I got the EPC and CEL lights, sometimes simultaneously, but most often EPC light, after continuing to drive for a few minutes the lights disappeared, same happened if I turned car off and on again, but apart from this no issues.

More recently, I got EPC light when revving car to 3k RPM, vagcom said engine speed sensor G28 implausible signal. I replaced both camshaft sensor, issue is still there but now at 4,5-5k RPM. The needle starts to shake a bit when getting close to 4,5-5k rpm and then the car seems to go into "safe mode" and revs drop. After about 30 secs, the EPC light disappear again, same if i turn the car off and on again. A part from this issue there is no other symptoms, idle revs are normal. The issue appears in all gear, either driving on standing still.

Any feedback, possible solutions?

Thanks

Sounds a tricky one. First question, have you have the ecu upgrade done? Plenty of threads with the necessary details on how to get the updated maps from Audi. Secondly, has the car had the coil pack recall done, given this issue it smacks a little of that.

Thanks for the reply. Ive owned the car since approx. 2011, havent had any ecu upgrades, same with coil packs. And I have no information about this being done earlier either. But the car has been running fine until these issues appeared around a year ago. Ive had the CEL light come on earlier too, but it cleared itself and didnt affect how the car was running. I will look into the ecu upgrades and compare with the information I get from vagcom.

Reactions: mookster
Gotcha. Certainly get the coil pack recall done, it's free of course, and look into the ecu update. I paid £80 for mine, some have paid less, some more, some got it for free, so it's a bit pot luck. Worth doing though :)