Drive Select

Mattb555

Reaction score
Morning all.

So after reading some older posts last night I'm a little unsure of the drive select button.

Here's how I use mine....

Mode is set at Dynamic for everything (don't bother changing this unless on a long motorway drive) use the gearstick D and S modes to choose the style I am in the mood for during the journey.

Now when I start the car again it will always be in gearstick mode D and the exhaust note will be quieter, cycling through the dash button back to Dynamic returns the exhaust note to the louder one if you want to show it off on the spot in Park.

So the question is, if I jump in the car and start it and just pull the gearstick back to S does this maximise all the Dynamic options? or do I need to also press the dash button to cycle back through to Dynamic?
The exhaust note changes as I would expect by just doing the gearstick but I kinda get the impression other parts need the button cycled to get back to true balls out mode?

Cheers.

Have to cycle the modes unfortunately.
The gearstick to S alone doesn't change the engine map to give you pops/bangs.

Most of us it's now muscle memory to press the button 5 times after engine start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the * button on the wheel set to DriveSelect for easier access than the dashboard button

I don't know how you guys live with driving in dynamic all the time. It's great for a laugh for a few minutes but it's a bit much for commuting to work or driving to the shops.

I have individual with Auto suspension, Comfort ACC and everything else Dynamic, then put gearbox back to D.
Only switch to full Dynamic for a bit of fun.

Boo!!!
I don't know how you guys live with driving in dynamic all the time. It's great for a laugh for a few minutes but it's a bit much for commuting to work or driving to the shops.

Reactions: jimojameso and AudiNutta
Have to cycle the modes unfortunately.
The gearstick to S alone doesn't change the engine map to give you pops/bangs.

Most of us it's now muscle memory to press the button 5 times after engine start.

Thanks for the reply and info, seems fairly stupid for that to be the case of how it's designed, going with the 'it's done for economy' reason is just bizarre in this type of car.
Is your impression it's the over fuelling for the exhaust bangs that's the only thing not switched back in or do you believe it also effects the performance due to a different map? So cycling through the button will actually make the car slightly faster?

I leave mine in dynamic just due not having the pleasure of driving it everyday and when I do I want it to be the car that I chose it for.
:grinning:

Thanks for the reply and info, seems fairly stupid for that to be the case of how it's designed, going with the 'it's done for economy' reason is just bizarre in this type of car.
Is your impression it's the over fuelling for the exhaust bangs that's the only thing not switched back in or do you believe it also effects the performance due to a different map? So cycling through the button will actually make the car slightly faster?

I leave mine in dynamic just due not having the pleasure of driving it everyday and when I do I want it to be the car that I chose it for.
:grinning:

I think it's both the map (which overfuels as you say) and the throttle response which are not really dynamic. I guess the map must be slightly more aggressive in general as it is over fuelling on overrun, but it's not enough to really notice.
The car is so rapid anyway it's hard to be sure, and TBH given I knew this was a 'problem' before I even picked the car up (as all Audi's with DS suffer from it) I've not really spent any time driving it 'non-cycled' as it was the first thing I did when starting up in the handover bay!!