S3 vs RS6, Evo, Subaru, Cosworth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen rs6's running mid 13's at santa pod and 450bhp rs4's run mid/low 13's.996 turbo's run high 12's.
RS6 0-62 4.9 0-100 11.3 0-125 18.7
996 Turbo 0-62 4.2 0-100 9.4 0-125 14.6
996 C2(320bhp) 0-62 4.8 0-100 10.9 0-125 17.3
My s3 can do 0-100 in 12s so it isn't far off the pace.
Marmite is your mate with the tt called clive?

Ryanc said:
Seen rs6's running mid 13's at santa pod and 450bhp rs4's run mid/low 13's.996 turbo's run high 12's.
RS6 0-62 4.9 0-100 11.3 0-125 18.7
996 Turbo 0-62 4.2 0-100 9.4 0-125 14.6
996 C2(320bhp) 0-62 4.8 0-100 10.9 0-125 17.3
My s3 can do 0-100 in 12s so it isn't far off the pace.
Marmite is your mate with the tt called clive?

Cheers Ryan...I was struggling to find info on figures like those.

I had a wee play with a 996 turbo and was surprised how the gap didn't open up as much as I thought it would...in a straight line, off a roundabout...but midrange the turbo was epic!
Similar to what I remember of the RS6...quick off the line but absolutely blistering in gear times.

No problem Glen,the c4s is probably a tad slower so similar to rs6 performance,so a mid 13 should be on the cards.

OK boys and girls, I've just been out in Mazzy'z S3, and had a 10-15 minute blast in it. I can confim it's quicker than my AmD stage1, not only in a straight line, but it feels like it handles better than mine on the new coilovers. 1st test was to hit 60mph in 2nd gear, I tried mine earlier on in the day, it can't go past 60 on the clock hitting the rev limiter in second, his car does around 63/4, it revs to approx 7.5k into the red bit on the tacho, as for accuracy of the speedo, I'll let you guys debate that! The car does over 60mph in 2nd as far as i'm concerned. :racer:
Performance wise it's certainly quick, feels a good 30lb's torque over mine in the midrange department, turbo spoolup is much quicker and responsive, and it's pretty loud over the standard exhaust. You can hear the turbo spin up more aggresively and harder than it is in my car.
I couldn't find any Evo's or RS6's to challenge in my testdrive, I would have thought if you caught one off boost, then there is a chance you could keep one behind you upto the point where they are just getting started, and you've run out of road.
My conclusion is that it's a quick car, not quiet as quick as an RS6 or EVO of course, but it's usable as a day to day car, infact, it drives like how Glenn describes his original S3, where the torque goes from literally nothing to boom!, in an instant, I'm still impressed, as it's running the same turbo as mine! :blackrs4:

jojo said:
OK boys and girls, I've just been out in Mazzy'z S3, and had a 10-15 minute blast in it. I can confim it's quicker than my AmD stage1, not only in a straight line, but it feels like it handles better than mine on the new coilovers. 1st test was to hit 60mph in 2nd gear, I tried mine earlier on in the day, it can't go past 60 on the clock hitting the rev limiter in second, his car does around 63/4, it revs to approx 7.5k into the red bit on the tacho, as for accuracy of the speedo, I'll let you guys debate that! The car does over 60mph in 2nd as far as i'm concerned. :racer:
Performance wise it's certainly quick, feels a good 30lb's torque over mine in the midrange department, turbo spoolup is much quicker and responsive, and it's pretty loud over the standard exhaust. You can hear the turbo spin up more aggresively and harder than it is in my car.
I couldn't find any Evo's or RS6's to challenge in my testdrive, I would have thought if you caught one off boost, then there is a chance you could keep one behind you upto the point where they are just getting started, and you've run out of road.
My conclusion is that it's a quick car, not quiet as quick as an RS6 or EVO of course, but it's usable as a day to day car, infact, it drives like how Glenn describes his original S3, where the torque goes from literally nothing to boom!, in an instant, I'm still impressed, as it's running the same turbo as mine! :blackrs4:

Yeah it was nice seeing you again bud. Thanx for thrashing my car... not as much as i do though! lol.

Thanks for the advice on the FMIC etc. Should get it on soon this week i hope & then dyno the damn thing!

Once again i repeat my car is not an RS6 killer, only stating that my car is a quick road car! Anyway will put the video of 2nd gear & 63-64mph later...

ChriS3 said:
Would be interesting to see a dyno plot. Any reason why you kept the boost down to only 1.4 bar?

Well that was what i logged, maybe producing more. Gonna get the FMIC on like it said, get them intake temps down!!

Then Dyno and i will put up results!!

I wreckon you'll be better with the standard intercooler whole point of little k04 is it spools quick. have it dyno'd as it is and then dyno it after you put the intercooler on.

dummi said:
I wreckon you'll be better with the standard intercooler whole point of little k04 is it spools quick. have it dyno'd as it is and then dyno it after you put the intercooler on.

I don't..
Even at 1.4 bar peak the inlet charge temperature is getting high...a FMIC will help here.
A FMIC doesn't have to add lag...a similar sized IC spread over a larger surface area will give WAY better cooling, but add very little lag.

What I'm struggling with is that for an S3 to have a noticable increase in 'oomph' it has to have more torque...if it feels like it's got a lot more torque than a standard remap, it has to have a good 20-30 (or more) lb-ft...or you'd just not feel it.
And 1.4 bar peak does not give that sort of torque..

I was running 1.86-1.89. now THAT'S big torque...

1.4 bar gives around 270 ish lb-ft...

Ess_Three said:
What I'm struggling with is that for an S3 to have a noticable increase in 'oomph' it has to have more torque...if it feels like it's got a lot more torque than a standard remap, it has to have a good 20-30 (or more) lb-ft...or you'd just not feel it.
And 1.4 bar peak does not give that sort of torque..

I was running 1.86-1.89. now THAT'S big torque...

1.4 bar gives around 270 ish lb-ft...

One thing to consider is that Jojo's comparison was between a Revo map, known to have a big initial spike similar to the MTM map, and an AMD map, more progressive like the Star maps.

ChriS3 said:
One thing to consider is that Jojo's comparison was between a Revo map, known to have a big initial spike similar to the MTM map, and an AMD map, more progressive like the Star maps.

I've driven a REVO mapped car before, and this one seemed quicker, though it has had a few tweakes on the boost and timing with SPS4 dongle.
Inlet temps was high on his car, going to mid 40s I think (don't remember lol) when parked up and heat soaked, these dropped to mid 20s on the run. I had my GReddy Informeter plugged in for a laff for my testdrive.

Ess_Three said:
I don't..
Even at 1.4 bar peak the inlet charge temperature is getting high...a FMIC will help here.
A FMIC doesn't have to add lag...a similar sized IC spread over a larger surface area will give WAY better cooling, but add very little lag.

IF fmic is similar size to standard large surface area i agree with you, on threads like this its usually about a BIG intercooler for BIG bhp i may be corrected Mazzy? which intercooler are you going for?

dummi said:
IF fmic is similar size to standard large surface area i agree with you, on threads like this its usually about a BIG intercooler for BIG bhp i may be corrected Mazzy? which intercooler are you going for?

A big fmic, custom approx 500mm x 300mm x 76mm. I will fit it sumhow... Got a plasma cutter so will mark & cut out the back section of the crash bar. Will custom build the pipework at work (MIJ).

LAdies and gents... I went down to MIJ to get a dual exhuast fitted on my chipped and Rs4 bits kitted S4 before my remap at MRC.... While the exhuast was getting done, Maz took me for a spin in his S3 and I played with the new acceleration measuring tools in VAGcom.
To me, Maz's S3 seemed as quick if not quicker than my S4 (before my MRC remap ;)!!) and I dont see any word of a lie in Maz saying he managed to keep an RS6 behind him, if the RS6 had 4 people in it and he got the jump on him not a standing start drag race (at no point maz said it was)then its totally possible, thats well over half a tonne advantage in weight remeber.....
in fact lets work it out.

S3 and driver say 1480kg say 300bhp = 202.7 bhp per tonne....
RS6 and 4 people say 2150kg? 450bhp = 209.3 bhp per tonne?

So why is Maz's story so hard to beleive???
In fact just to upset every one because thats what Polos do:
Modded Polo G40 and Driver 890kg 187bhp (my old one)= 210.11 bhp per tonne....
Go figure.... SO if I want to cause upset I could say that my old polo would have held off both Maz's S3 and the Rs6.....
But I wouldn't suggest that coz gauging the reaction of some people to Maz claim you might fall over and die! hehe..
Discuss......:p

oh also was taken for a spin in Minheas 520 bhp S4 at MRC... that thing is mental.... It felt faster than my old fireblade!

Wow, im impressed Mark... Why didnt you tell me that my car was quick when we went out, would've made my day :D

The VAGCOM 60-90mph logs were good, we could've seen some tits on the motorway but we were 2 busy logging when a young lass decided to take the puppies out on the highway.

TUT TUT...

Anyway, the temps have dropped & my car seems quicker, i really need to sort out the FMIC!!

So hows the car running now Mark??? Im posting the pics in B5 section later today.

What the exhaust like??

Maz

confusionhunter said:
LAdies and gents... I went down to MIJ to get a dual exhuast fitted on my chipped and Rs4 bits kitted S4 before my remap at MRC.... While the exhuast was getting done, Maz took me for a spin in his S3 and I played with the new acceleration measuring tools in VAGcom.
To me, Maz's S3 seemed as quick if not quicker than my S4 (before my MRC remap ;)!!) and I dont see any word of a lie in Maz saying he managed to keep an RS6 behind him, if the RS6 had 4 people in it and he got the jump on him not a standing start drag race (at no point maz said it was)then its totally possible, thats well over half a tonne advantage in weight remeber.....
in fact lets work it out.

Go figure.... SO if I want to cause upset I could say that my old polo would have held off both Maz's S3 and the Rs6.....
But I wouldn't suggest that coz gauging the reaction of some people to Maz claim you might fall over and die! hehe..

Exhaust is good, getting better, ive taken vids and stuff and done a few power runs with the G tech, Im pretty sure it cen get a high 12 second quarter mile now but I just dont have the guts to sidestep the clutch!!!
I'll get pics and vids up eventually.! Doug and Minhea at MRC were quite impressed with the exhuast too....

confusionhunter said:

To be fair, a K04 will never make anywhere near 300bhp. You might just be able to squeeze 285 out of it, but no more. Now, I'm just short of 85kgs, and my S3 is about 1415kgs. That would give me a maximum of 190bhp per tonne on a highly strung K04. The initial brag never mentioned another 3 people in the RS6 either. And that's why the story was unbelievable. No-one ever suggested that Maz's car was slow, just not as fast as he thinks it is. Glen's S3 was a lot more modified than Maz's and a very quick machine by all accounts. If his couldn't keep an RS6 behind it, then....

I cant be ***** going through the post but Im sure there was a mention of passengers at some point.... regardless my only point was it wouldnt be a million miles away in terms of power to weight so not totally impossible regardless of how unlikely :) even at 190bhp per tonne

confusionhunter said:
I cant be ***** going through the post but Im sure there was a mention of passengers at some point.... regardless my only point was it wouldnt be a million miles away in terms of power to weight so not totally impossible regardless of how unlikely :) even at 190bhp per tonne

Well said Mark. All i can say is i wont bother with posts on here, people have a tendancy to not listen.

I still need to get these pics up...

mazzy said:
Well said Mark. All i can say is i wont bother with posts on here, people have a tendancy to not listen.

Maybe that's because people on here live in the real world, rather than a fantasy land created to massage the ego of someone who can't accept reality?

You know what...this thread has already wasted too much bandwidth, so I think I'll lock it.

My advice to all RS6 owners...go buy a chipped S3. You obviously have a slower car at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.