Fuel smell

Mark Greenall

Reaction score
I am getting fuel smell (unburned) around my car. I have found a smell of fuel above my charcoal cannister, took it into a garage to check the area and no leaks have been found. I changed lambda and still smells of fuel from exhaust. Vcds shows no codes after full scan. At 3,000 rpm I get 10g/s which indicates no boost leaks. Mot is due in 1 month and I doubt it will pass. Car drives fine. It is 1998 1.8t a3. Any ideas on what it could be I'm a bit paranoid it may burst into flames.

Ps exhaust smells like it's over fueling but inside car it smells like neat fuel not really bad but sometimes bad enough to cause concern. Only started last 2 weeks

Have you checked the pipes going the the carbon canister as they tend to crack and let the smell into the car, don't have any answers for the exhaust sorry :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a smell of fuel once in my pre-facelift S3. It only came into the cabin when the car was on idle/stopped in traffic and when air con was on. If I turned the A/C off it was fine, however opening the bonnet you could smell fuel. There was a split in one of the breather pipes causing the smell but initially it was diagnosed as the charcoal canister, which had no problem.

Have you checked the pipes going the the carbon canister as they tend to crack and let the smell into the car, don't have any answers for the exhaust sorry :)
Cheers it was a crack in the pipe. Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20160713_172114.jpg
    20160713_172114.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 209
Reactions: westcoast a3
I had a smell of fuel once in my pre-facelift S3. It only came into the cabin when the car was on idle/stopped in traffic and when air con was on. If I turned the A/C off it was fine, however opening the bonnet you could smell fuel. There was a split in one of the breather pipes causing the smell but initially it was diagnosed as the charcoal canister, which had no problem.
I think I solved the under bonnet smell but it's same as you described. The exhaust smell I think is the cat that's knackered. Decat time ☺

That's fine until it's mot time, then you will probably need a new cat anyway.

The petrol smell from exhaust was...........
The coolant temp sensor which no one would have guessed. I was shocked as the temp gauge worked fine. On idle from start up the exhaust stank of neat fuel. Anyone had this before?? I thought the cat was shot it smelled like an old mini.

Glad you sorted it, but I dont understand how something that doesnt have fuel near it would make the smell? Was it telling ECU is was cold and putting in more fuel that wasnt being burnt? Just wondered :)
Dave

Reactions: Mark Greenall
Glad you sorted it, but I dont understand how something that doesnt have fuel near it would make the smell? Was it telling ECU is was cold and putting in more fuel that wasnt being burnt? Just wondered :)
Dave
Well I don't fully understand myself. I think it was doing as you say but normally the temp gauge takes ages to get to 90 if temp sensor is bad, but mine was getting to 90 within a mile or so. I changed the oil at the same time but doubt the oil was causing it. The smell was very strong from the exhaust.

The cars starting to cost a fortune to maintain to be honest. I have borrowed a jag x type diesel last 3 days and I'm impressed on the mpg. So I'm looking for a A4 1.9tdi but I will keep the A3 as a project restoration