Smell of petrol from exhaust on S4

Andy350z

Reaction score
Since new my S4 has smelt of unturned fuel from the outside when cold. I took it to the dealer who said this normal.

.Last week I was a driving holiday in Germany, the driver of the convertible following me said that he could smell petrol when I was accelerating at full throttle.

Is this normal? Do other S4 drivers have this petrol smell at all?

Maybe time to get the S4 plugged Ti see I any codes are stored

I have never smelled petrol around my S5 and that's just the sort of thing I would notice!

It might depend on how cold the engine is, I'm sure that might does smell a bit after I've just reversed it out of the garage and get out to close the door. I'd also think that you might get a whiff of petrol if you snap the throttle wide open "on the road" as extra fuel will be getting dumped in tom cool the head area, though I'd hope that when the cat is "active" it would take care of that short shot of excess petrol.

Thanks everyone, booking one Monday for first oil change and I've asked them to investigate.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Well the dealer couldn't find any issues. I asked them to put in on the gas analyser, that came up normal at idle and WOT so doesn't seem to over fueling.