Main beam problem Bi xenons

Shane-Ireland

Reaction score
Hi 2008 (pre face lift) S3 with Bi xenons, my drivers side main beam won't stay on, if i turn on main beams it goes out after a couple of seconds and i get a bulb out warning on the DIS.

Is this a knackered bulb ? I presumed it was the same bulb on bi-xenons so was wondering how it was working fine on dipped beams. Or are they a dual filament bulb ?

If it's bulb what type of bulb is needed ? There are conflicting reports online of different bulb post and pre facelift.

Thanks.

Single bulb filament, raised beam is a motorised flap for beam control, its probably the bulb or module, swap bulbs across 1st & test, if its not the bulb, swap modules over.

When you say modules ? What do you mean ? Ballasts ?

Is it a bumper of job on the S3 ? I'd nearly take a punt a buy a bulb before taking the bumper off to just swap them over. What type bulb is it ?

Scanned the car today and found the following ...

1 Fault Found:

02499 - Right Low Beam Reflector Motor (V295)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00111100
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 163
Mileage: 102322 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.08.09
Time: 21:38:00

Freeze Frame:
ON
Voltage: 13.95 V
ON
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

Does this point to a problem with the motors that lift the flap ? Do these give trouble ? Is it available as a separate part from Audi (wishful thinking)

I had the same issue on facelift car. Bought new bulbs and it turns out it's ballast. Bumper off job on facelift or taking wing liner off to get more room to get to the bulb.. i'm affraid that if you need to swap ballast that the bumper needs to come off headlight too because it is under the headlight.

I don't see how it could be the bulb or ballast as it's the same bulb and it's already ignited and is putting out a stable light output, even when you go back to dipped beams after the high beam fails , maybe i'm wrong. I would love to know what the modules NHN referred to are.

Any help appreciated.