Facelift FL A3 2.0 TFSI 190

Maybe a few close up pictures of the how the rear looks and the front with the grill and floret. ;)
Car washed
Pictures as requested

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 486
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 444
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 415
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 418
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 524
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 420
Reactions: daydotz, KenL, TDI-line and 1 other person
Wonder if Brumbrum has any more views 3 weeks in on his almost unique 190 ps 2.0 tfsi?

Wonder if Brumbrum has any more views 3 weeks in on his almost unique 190 ps 2.0 tfsi?
Hi EK.
I'm still loving the car, and the engine / gearbox in particular.
Almost 1000 miles now so beginning to push the engine a bit more.
I'm surprised how quick it feels.
Is it my imagination or does "dynamic" give a sportier engine note ?
Sound great anyway.
It's the perfect all round car for me.
Easy to live with on the daily commute and fun when I get out of town at the weekend.
My 10 mile trip to work averages 20 mph and I get 36mph.
Out of town on a gentle run I get up to 45mph.
Suspension never harsh.

Hi EK.
I'm still loving the car, and the engine / gearbox in particular.
Almost 1000 miles now so beginning to push the engine a bit more.
I'm surprised how quick it feels.
Is it my imagination or does "dynamic" give a sportier engine note ?
Sound great anyway.
It's the perfect all round car for me.
Easy to live with on the daily commute and fun when I get out of town at the weekend.
My 10 mile trip to work averages 20 mph and I get 36mph.
Out of town on a gentle run I get up to 45mph.
Suspension never harsh.
I assume you mean 45mpg rather than mph?

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
How are you getting on with the Panoramic roof?

is it something used just now and then, or is there an internal sleeve that blanks out the glass?

Cheers.

Pano roof was great in the warmer weather. I used it a lot.
I never pull the cover closed - I like the light coming in.
I also like the contrast with floret.

Reactions: glospete and TDI-line
Thanks, yes it was the contrast looks that is making it more appealing for me.

I'm finalising my order hopefully on Sunday, so i've got a few things to think about.

At a steady speed the engine is silent but there is quite a tyre roar.
What tyres come on these as standard? My R had Bridgestones as standard and they were very noisy. I swapped all 4 to Goodyear Assy3s at 9k miles and they were a great improvement,

What tyres come on these as standard? My R had Bridgestones as standard and they were very noisy. I swapped all 4 to Goodyear Assy3s at 9k miles and they were a great improvement,
Bridgestones

Haven't noticed a great deal of tyre noise in mine TBH. Bridgestones as well IIRC.

My 2.0TDI-184 came with 225/45 x R17 91V Dunlop Sport Max RT. Reasonable performance and very quiet.

collected today.
beautiful car.
Engine has a better sound than I was expecting.
7 speed S Tronic is a joy.
Only done 10 miles gentle driving - 41mpg - very impressed.
Got to do some work now...........I'll post more later.View attachment 101762 View attachment 101764

Hello pal! Congrats on your new A3, looks beautiful. I have just collected my A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI MY2018 and I was wondering, does your car came with full LED headlights? Mine came with Xenon Plus on the front and regular bulbs on the back.

Also, have you experienced some troubles with MMI when using an iPhone over USB cable? Mine is full os small problems such as not playing the first 5 seconds of the songs or being incapable of changing songs sometimes.

Would really like to know how are you doing on those aspects.

Best regards,

Carlos

2e3c9f64644e644ad318e75d8321e8b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello pal! Congrats on your new A3, looks beautiful. I have just collected my A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI MY2018 and I was wondering, does your car came with full LED headlights? Mine came with Xenon Plus on the front and regular bulbs on the back.

Also, have you experienced some troubles with MMI when using an iPhone over USB cable? Mine is full os small problems such as not playing the first 5 seconds of the songs or being incapable of changing songs sometimes.

Would really like to know how are you doing on those aspects.

Best regards,

Carlos

2e3c9f64644e644ad318e75d8321e8b7.jpg

Hi Carlos
Your car looks great.
I chose the same wheels.
UK S Line cars have LED lights front and rear and they are great.
My iPhone also doesn't function particularly well.
I tend to use Carplay so its connected by the USB.
Sometimes its fine.
Sometimes I can't make calls.
Sometimes tracks get stuck.
Sometimes it says there is no signal when the phone shows all bars.
Can't say I'm overly impressed with the MMI full stop. Its due for the first service next month and I'm going to ask if there is an update.
Came back from an overnight stay this morning. As I didn't know the route I had the satnav voice activated (which I don't normally use).
It warned me of a 20 minute delay in time for me to change route.
The visual display took 3 extra minutes to show the info. Very odd.
40 mile easy trip home - 53.5mpg on trip computer.

Hi Carlos
Your car looks great.
I chose the same wheels.
UK S Line cars have LED lights front and rear and they are great.
My iPhone also doesn't function particularly well.
I tend to use Carplay so its connected by the USB.
Sometimes its fine.
Sometimes I can't make calls.
Sometimes tracks get stuck.
Sometimes it says there is no signal when the phone shows all bars.
Can't say I'm overly impressed with the MMI full stop. Its due for the first service next month and I'm going to ask if there is an update.
Came back from an overnight stay this morning. As I didn't know the route I had the satnav voice activated (which I don't normally use).
It warned me of a 20 minute delay in time for me to change route.
The visual display took 3 extra minutes to show the info. Very odd.
40 mile easy trip home - 53.5mpg on trip computer.

Yeah, those wheels are superb! Thanks for your replay. It is a pitty here in Peru they do not come with full LED headlights.

I also don’t have CarPlay support in the car. Tthe dealer here spec the cars down a lot: no auto stop-start, no energy recovery, no CarPlay, no LED, no assist functions, etc.

Do you know your MMI firmware version? Mine is 0840 with Media driver 1.2.0.

4603997666d907a4ca3da812e030a782.jpg

Those wheels are up there with the best I’ve seen. Flippin’ lovely.

Reactions: Brumbrum1 and Carlos Andrés Mendoza
So I picked up my A3 Black Edition Sportback 2.0TFSI 190 Quattro S-tronic (snappy model name!) last week. First impressions are excellent. The engine seems a good balance between refinement and power. Coming from a Golf R, obviously the ultimate power is down but the low speed torque seems just as good. I am still taking it easy as I'm old school and can't bring myself to red line a new motor, but I reckon this engine is going to suit me down to the ground. It feels a little bit like a cross between a diesel and a petrol with plenty of low down torque while still revving freely and cleanly.

The tyres are Bridgestones but tyre noise and the general refinement is excellent and a noticeable improvement on the R. I specced the "dynamic" suspension and am very pleased with it so far. There are some terrible roads near me which in the Golf, even in comfort mode, caused some vibration and harshness. In the A3 it is super smooth, but still well controlled and not at all floaty. I absolutely love the S-line half leather seats. They look great and I have quickly got a really comfortable driving position. The whole interior does feel a step up in class from the Golf.

There are some negatives though compared to the Golf:

Firstly, storage in the cabin is much worse. No sunglasses holder in the roof, tiny glove box, no driver's side cubby, no centre console cubby, and the under armrest area is much smaller and has the phone wireless charger in so you can't put any stuff in anyway. I'm not over bothered about this though as it stops SWMBO filling the car with crap that we never seem to need anyway!

Secondly, and it's very very minor but still a bit annoying, is the Radio display on the MMI or VC doesn't display the Radio text on the main screen. The text is available via a submenu but then that just displays the raw text stream and nothing else. There is so much space alongside the Station Logo on the main radio screen that I can't believe they don't display the text there like it did in the Golf. I kept thinking I must have some settings wrong but I've tried everything I can think of without success. I mostly listen to my own music from SD card anyway but it still seems a shortcoming.

I hope to get some more miles under my belt fairly quickly so I can start having more of a play with the engine.

Reactions: mister.c., Brumbrum1 and TYb
@GeoffT . Glad you're enjoying it. I'm glad you mentioned the radio; I thought the same. It would be nice to have the text without having to faff about with menus. That said, it isn't a big deal and certainly hasn't tainted my enjoyment.

Can we have some pictures please Geoff? Keen to see how the dynamic suspension looks.

Can we have some pictures please Geoff? Keen to see how the dynamic suspension looks.
I've only got a couple that I took on day one and neither are from the side. See my profile pic and this one. It's been covered in snow and so needs a good clean but I will take and post some more then.
Rear obscured

Reactions: amb66
@GeoffT . Glad you're enjoying it. I'm glad you mentioned the radio; I thought the same. It would be nice to have the text without having to faff about with menus. That said, it isn't a big deal and certainly hasn't tainted my enjoyment.
I've never owned a car that couldn't be improved but some seemingly simple changes to the infotainment firmware. It amazes me that issues like this aren't sorted before they are signed off. Especially when other brands within the same group have a better solution.

So I picked up my A3 Black Edition Sportback 2.0TFSI 190 Quattro S-tronic (snappy model name!) last week. First impressions are excellent. The engine seems a good balance between refinement and power. Coming from a Golf R, obviously the ultimate power is down but the low speed torque seems just as good. I am still taking it easy as I'm old school and can't bring myself to red line a new motor, but I reckon this engine is going to suit me down to the ground. It feels a little bit like a cross between a diesel and a petrol with plenty of low down torque while still revving freely and cleanly.

The tyres are Bridgestones but tyre noise and the general refinement is excellent and a noticeable improvement on the R. I specced the "dynamic" suspension and am very pleased with it so far. There are some terrible roads near me which in the Golf, even in comfort mode, caused some vibration and harshness. In the A3 it is super smooth, but still well controlled and not at all floaty. I absolutely love the S-line half leather seats. They look great and I have quickly got a really comfortable driving position. The whole interior does feel a step up in class from the Golf.

There are some negatives though compared to the Golf:

Firstly, storage in the cabin is much worse. No sunglasses holder in the roof, tiny glove box, no driver's side cubby, no centre console cubby, and the under armrest area is much smaller and has the phone wireless charger in so you can't put any stuff in anyway. I'm not over bothered about this though as it stops SWMBO filling the car with **** that we never seem to need anyway!

Secondly, and it's very very minor but still a bit annoying, is the Radio display on the MMI or VC doesn't display the Radio text on the main screen. The text is available via a submenu but then that just displays the raw text stream and nothing else. There is so much space alongside the Station Logo on the main radio screen that I can't believe they don't display the text there like it did in the Golf. I kept thinking I must have some settings wrong but I've tried everything I can think of without success. I mostly listen to my own music from SD card anyway but it still seems a shortcoming.

I hope to get some more miles under my belt fairly quickly so I can start having more of a play with the engine.
Glad you’re happy with the car Geoff. I share your thoughts re the engine.
Had my first service last week at 12500 miles after picking it up 1/9/16.
Just the oil service but inspection due in 6 months. I hate the hassle of going to the dealer and it was cheaper to have both done together so £277. No other work needed.
Front tyres will need changing soon. That’s all.
Overall mpg since delivery is 36 but that’s city driving.
I’ve had up to 52mpg on a long motorway run at speed limit.

Reactions: GeoffT
I've only got a couple that I took on day one and neither are from the side. See my profile pic and this one. It's been covered in snow and so needs a good clean but I will take and post some more then.View attachment 151422
Thanks Geoff. Looks about same height as SE suspension I think.

I have the 2 litre tfsi 190 in an A4 Avant and given how it performs, I can only imagine how it goes in an A3. Superb engine in my experience.

Reactions: Brumbrum1
I have the 2 litre tfsi 190 in an A4 Avant and given how it performs, I can only imagine how it goes in an A3. Superb engine in my experience.
This engine does seem to be a bit of an unsung hero (apart from this thread!). I remember reading up on it and it seems it is quite a bit different to other TFSI engines using a version of the Miller cycle to get greater efficiency especially at part load while still producing high torque.

I feel like I've joined a small and exclusive club of engine connoisseurs!

This engine does seem to be a bit of an unsung hero (apart from this thread!). I remember reading up on it and it seems it is quite a bit different to other TFSI engines using a version of the Miller cycle to get greater efficiency especially at part load while still producing high torque.

I feel like I've joined a small and exclusive club of engine connoisseurs!
And a very warm welcome to what is indeed quite an exclusive club !

Reactions: GeoffT