Centre console switches, what do they do???

Gordon Stewart

Reaction score
alright folks, can anyone tell me what the switches are for on either side of the esp switch

@Gordon Stewart - The one on the left is for switching the parking sensors on/off
The auto default is on
I use this when I put in / take my car out of the garage to stop the warnings screaming at me. Also, if you have front sensors use this switch to switch them on when you need the front ones

Haven't a clue what the switch with the car on a slope is. You could always press it & see what happens. Just stand well back lol
Might be something in here to help you -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...al-other-pdf-manuals-audi-car-colours.241230/

& get that interior cleaned! Its filthy! lol

The last one is possibly HDC..... Hill descent control

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

@Gordon Stewart - The one on the left is for switching the parking sensors on/off
The auto default is on
I use this when I put in / take my car out of the garage to stop the warnings screaming at me. Also, if you have front sensors use this switch to switch them on when you need the front ones

Haven't a clue what the switch with the car on a slope is. You could always press it & see what happens. Just stand well back lol
Might be something in here to help you -
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...al-other-pdf-manuals-audi-car-colours.241230/

& get that interior cleaned! Its filthy! lol
Thanks very much, when I press the parking sensor one it does not light up and also when I press the other one it does not light up either , does anyone else know what the other switch is for, can't see it in the manual

Reactions: Ruhel
Is it deffo hill descent assist as I have an A4 2.0tfsi s line so not a q3 or q5 ???

Yeah same button symbol.

So, to the OP, does it have front parking sensors - or is this switch panel just a "lookie likie" add on for visual effect. For all quattro owners, does this open up another area for discussion, ie "how do I enable Hill Descent etc" ? (just a thought!)

Edited to remove one question as the answer was in another thread.

Last edited:
So what's the answer folks, this has got me stuck, why would or do you get hill descent control on a 2.0tfsi s line 2wd,?? And does everyone else have the button for the parking sensors and does it light up when you push it ??

Again I will ask, does it have front parking sensors, if not, then that parking sensor button has no function on that car? After that you can assume the same for hill descent.

Edit:- plus, I'm guessing, the "ESP OFF" indicator will just be complementing the "hill descent" function as hill descent will take over all other stability control functions when it is engaged.

Hi Run4mo, no it does not have front sensors , just rears , the esp button works and brings the light on in the cluster, the other ones around the gearstick ( handbrake and start/stop cancel button both also work ) . Have ever heard of an A4 having hill descent??, surely this would only be for q3,q5,q7 ??

Okay, so now we know that the parking sensor button is redundant, it will probably be that the hill descent is also redundant. That just means that a previous owner fitted that panel to fill a space. There are lots of cars without electric folding mirrors that have been fitted with the switch for that extra function by an owner, just the way some peoples minds/thoughts work I suppose.

Edit:- I think that you have the right to claim to be the first A4 B8 owner to have that switch assembly though - unless this comment draws more out into the open!

Thanks, I just not long ought the car from the original owner who bought it new, have every single reciept, even original bil of sale with his bank card reciept stapled to it, also pdi document and stuff, he was an older man that had it(about 70) I would be 100% confident in saying that that switch was fitted at factory. It does have a few extras as its a 59 plate 2.0tfsi s line executive model, think extras are half leather half Alcantara , rear sensors, different wheels , cruise control . So can folding mirrors be easily fitted to my car then, is it just a case of fitting a switch ??

No, unfortunately a lot more to do to enable electrically folding mirrors than just replacing a switch, my S4 does not have electrically folding either nor does my wife's new Polo - but older daughter's late 2009 Ibiza does have.

Yes, I too got previous owner's banking/credit card details, people are just lazy, I separate these tabs out every time, I don't know what the obsession is that makes some traders staple that tab with confidential details to bills! Alcantara is handy, I've had that on cars since 2000.

Still weird about that panel being fitted, I'm sure Audi does not fit more expensive panels at factory for a laugh. Generally speaking, if a car is not a factory order, then I think that the production planners have a bowl of options just like a lucky dip - and select a few at random for that car being loaded into the production plan - very special and very Audi!

Edit:- VW when faced with a similar situation tend to use contents of previous factory order options, and SEAT, well they go for what their potential owners want, like electrical folding mirrors and bigger alloy wheels - especially on the cheaper models, how strange!

Are you sure it isn't hill hold assist rather than hill decent?

It's pointing the wrong way for hill hold assist :tearsofjoy:
Looks identical to the hill decent button on my Discovery - why you would need this in an Audi is a bit odd.

I've forgotten what the HHA symbol looks like on my car, but it is next to the hand brake switch, either way that switch should light up if it is active.

Maybe it's a trim panel off an allroad as its the only model which you would think would have hill descent

I've forgotten what the HHA symbol looks like on my car, but it is next to the hand brake switch, either way that switch should light up if it is active.
@rum4mo - Bottom button. Like you say, lights up when active like this (Not my car BTW lol) -

maxresdefault.jpg

I spoke to the older guy I bought it from who specked it new and it's all as it came out of the factory, he added black optics pack, rear sensors , different wheels, it's an executive s line which comes with half leather / Alcantara, cruise control and phone prep so Audi must have just put it on from new for whatever reason