2.5 TDI Turbo replacement.

Jimmysomerville

Reaction score
So, I thought the turbo on my Allroad was covered under a warranty. I have now been told it's fair wear and tear therefore no payout.
My dilemma now is the car is stuck on ramps at a garage after the turbo had to be inspected before being told its FWT. I need to decide now if I buy a new turbo £600 or get a hybrid stage one recon for £550!
I know which way I want to go but is it practicle, the car is currently completely standard so would need new exhaust, remap, brakes etc etc and also how much more stress is given to the engine from a turbo made to give around 245BHP.
Has anyone experience of reconditioned turbos - is it worth paying 600 for a new turbo when I can get mine recon'd for less than 300 and is a knackered turbo worth anything at all to try and reimburse some of the expense if I bought new?
Suppose an alternative is if anyone has a decent turbo they need rid of (for sale)! Any help is appreciated.

Random questions maybe, but perhaps it could help with my decision!

Another useless warranty not even worth the paper they are written on most of the time.
What year is the car and what power output is it ? .
Chris Adams is the resident expert on these @adamss24 . Where abouts are you in the country ?

180 BHP BAU engine on Allroad 05. I'm in Stafford. Somewhat reluctant to go hybrid due to further expense. Have just found remanufactured turbo on eBay from Birmingham. For £250 it might well be worth keeping standard but I like the idea of updating it.
I have read threads that say fuelling would be an issue and that means I'd have to replace injectors with the turbo, money I don't think I have to spend TBH!

Please be wary of any hybrid claiming to do big Bhp, I have been building hybrids for a few years and what I don't know about turbos isn't worth knowing ! Even big outfits like Turbo Dynamics will hybridise a gt2052v by upgrading just the cold side and clipping the turbine blades to help it spool quicker and stop the boost creep ! Contrary to what they claim, their turbos don't deliver even with big *** noZles !
To build a reliable hybrid one needs a decent turbine and a matching compressor. Later ETT compressors 60mm exducer and 40mm inducer works well with the gt 20 turbine... Please give me a ring with regards of building a turbo !

Have taken original turbo to Precision Turbo's in Birmingham to get remanufactured. Guy there was helpful and explained quite a lot to me. Pick it up tomorrow and it'll cost a lot less than I was going to have to fork out.
If the work is as good as the customer service it should be a good job. What was mentioned though is if the Cat gets clogged it affects the turbo. How do you know if the cats clogged, and is there much involved in decatting the allroad? Sounds like a stainless full system, but when I looked at the turbo initially the cat looked like a ******* to unbolt!

This is apparently fair wear and tear. Any ideas what may have caused this? Obviously something come through exhaust side but I can't think where from as the engine runs well (I thought!)
I have sent these images to the warranty company to see what their comeback is.

Change the exhaust manifolds ASAP ! It's the metal from them breaking your turbine and VNT manifold...

Change the exhaust manifolds ASAP ! It's the metal from them breaking your turbine and VNT manifold...
So it's not like I thought then, loose bearings allowing the impeller to contact the veins.
Who do you recommend for manifolds? Aftermarket or standard?

The VNT mechanism is designed in such a way that it cannot hit the turbine blades- there is an internal pin that does not let them open fully. It's only when foreign objects hit them they get Brocken like that ! I will be surprised if your turbo place will repair the turbo for the price they quoted as the VNT mechanism is £50-90 on it's own !

Turbo man spoke to me today and claims as you said dirty manifolds. Could just be lumps of carbon/ soot. Going to get garage to endoscope down the manifolds and have a good look!

Turbo man spoke to me today and claims as you said dirty manifolds. Could just be lumps of carbon/ soot. Going to get garage to endoscope down the manifolds and have a good look!
It is metal from your exhaust manifolds , No could just be about it !

Last edited:
Cheers Couchie. Where's best to get new ones from, and what sort of cost?

Hi Jimmy, I have a pair of good exhaust manifolds from a later 2005 BDH engine however they are used. For peace of mind you can buy them new- very expensive from dealer/TPS or you can buy Diffas tubular manifolds but they are not cheap either and are designed to work with his own link pipes...

No lumps of carbon will damage the VNT like that, that is hard metal striking the blades... As per Karl's link, buy either 2nd hand manifolds then replace the turbo otherwise you will be back to square one in no time !

thats cool mate. Explains a little more as I'd been trying to research this on tinterweb. Could only find stuff about overspeeding Turbo's and cast manifolds cracking. Makes more sense now that desertstorm has shared the post stating the cheaper skin inside the manifolds.
I'll buzz you later regarding your manifolds Chris.
Thanks again to all that have replied here.

However, looking on eBay at images, they don't look cast! Could be I'm barking up the wrong trees here!

I have my turbo back. Looks good, that good that when it was on the bench I didn't think it was mine! Obviously not wanting to fit it till the manifolds have been done though. Will keep you all posted on the outcome!