Facelift S3 Facelift MPG?

Sounds like mid 30s is easily achievable! Perfect.

Are they required to run on premium fuel?

I've found that 40 mpg on a long busy motorway run with passengers, speed cameras, roadworks etc easily achievable in a manual without particularly trying. Similar journey with a PFL s-tronic saloon last year with similar mileage on the clock - mid 30s. Also getting around 5mpg more driving to work without trying.
I bought the car for driving pleasure and because I can - not to worry about the mpg. Being way more economical than I was expecting is just a bonus - and being a manual I don't get that embarrassing manufactured farty noise when it changes gear;).
nd

Sounds like mid 30s is easily achievable! Perfect.

Are they required to run on premium fuel?

nd

I always run on Vpower. I had to put some "normal" fuel in this weekend, out of necessity, and it doesn't seem to of effected the MPG in any way.
Secondly I have only ever had the car in Dynamic.

Reactions: Gordo77
Like I stated in another thread I only ever 3/4 fill the tank, but i'll check the range when i do, i have 1/2 a tank left and its saying 240 miles range (not that i trust the range estmate)

I'll clean the interior tomorrow, exterior was filthy when i got back from Galloway, so i focused on that.

Not sure mines doing that well but still on the half tank Audi gave me.. will fill up tomorrow and get some stats... i love Dynamic mode too much!!££££

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from a V6 S5 I'm in the position where I'm looking forward to a decent improvement in fuel consumption so anything in the 30's mpg will be a novelty.
Don't believe the read out in the car though, they're not totally accurate. Better to do a brim to brim fill up on consecutive tanks and calculate manually for your actual mpg.
As for the sound the FL S3 makes, this was a major consideration for me based on the car I'm moving from. Yes the S5 and S3 make different sounds but (based on a decent test drive) there's enough farts and pops from the S3 to keep me happy.
I went for Navarra mainly because I think it's a stunning colour but also I've had my fair share of other colours too and wanted something different. Nice pics from current owners of Navarra cars.

Reactions: Matt Titanium, allanmb and Gordo77
Coming from a V6 S5 I'm in the position where I'm looking forward to a decent improvement in fuel consumption so anything in the 30's mpg will be a novelty.
Don't believe the read out in the car though, they're not totally accurate. Better to do a brim to brim fill up on consecutive tanks and calculate manually for your actual mpg.
As for the sound the FL S3 makes, this was a major consideration for me based on the car I'm moving from. Yes the S5 and S3 make different sounds but (based on a decent test drive) there's enough farts and pops from the S3 to keep me happy.
I went for Navarra mainly because I think it's a stunning colour but also I've had my fair share of other colours too and wanted something different. Nice pics from current owners of Navarra cars.

I came from a 3.2 A4 (via a 2.0TDI) and I am seeing much better fuel economy in the S3 and a little more fun. No, the noise isn't the same but it is far better than the diesel was!

Reactions: richinsoton, Gordo77, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Can I ask why you only ever 3/4 fill the tank?

Because in my head, i have convinced myself that having less fuel to carry around = less weight. Less weight = more efficiency. it probably doesn't make that much difference (if any at all) but I am set in my ways now, and i have to travel past two shell petrol stations each day so its not like its out of the way to fill up more.

Reactions: richinsoton and Gordo77
Because in my head, i have convinced myself that having less fuel to carry around = less weight. Less weight = more efficiency. it probably doesn't make that much difference (if any at all) but I am set in my ways now, and i have to travel past two shell petrol stations each day so its not like its out of the way to fill up more.

Haha, I had thought that before too!
Tank Size = 55L
1/4 weight saving = 14L
1L of petrol = 0.75kg
Total weight saving = 10.5Kg

I bet most people have 10kg of 'generic crap' in their boot/glovebox etc. ;-)

Reactions: TDI-line and Gordo77
Just to update you all i have made my mind up and managed to bag a 3 door S3 s-tronic in Navarra Blue.

Managed to bag one thats available next Friday with a couple of extras red break callipers, privacy glass and parking sensors!

Whats everyones thoughts on gap insurance? Im trading in my privately owned A3 and going for my first PCP deal!

Reactions: ChivsBang
Just to update you all i have made my mind up and managed to bag a 3 door S3 s-tronic in Navarra Blue.

Managed to bag one thats available next Friday with a couple of extras red break callipers, privacy glass and parking sensors!

Whats everyones thoughts on gap insurance? Im trading in my privately owned A3 and going for my first PCP deal!

Used Gap Direct and got a good deal on vehicle replacement £189 for 3 years. Think 4 years worked out at £249...

Manual S3 3 door now 30 months old with 25K is showing 32.3 mpg on the DIS

Reactions: samo26
Getting 25.6 mpg at the moment.. not good and getting concerned! Doesn't match Audis figures

Getting 25.6 mpg at the moment.. not good and getting concerned! Doesn't match Audis figures

Have you adjusted your driving style? in order to get even close to Audi's claimed MPG figures you need to drive around off boost all the time and accelerate in a fashion that would upset (I suspect) most of the fast Audi drivers on this forum. Take the Audi figures with a pinch of salt, you or I or anyone wont get them in the wild, If you want "good" MPG be prepared to pay the price, which is driving your fast car slowly, which is a little soul destroying to be honest...

<edit>

Alternatively you could get a fast (that's a relative term FYI...) diesel, I had a GTD and I got the same MPG no matter what i did to it, but then it bored me to death because it wasn't fast enough and I swapped it for an S3, which ironically I drive slowly, because its too fast... there is something very seriously wrong with me...

Last edited:
Reactions: pauly69, lou15p and Gordo77
What driving pattern are you doing? Not good if that's with you taking care haha

riving

Can Audi pluck such figures out of the air like that? I bought the car based around those stats! If I'd have seen the real ones I wouldn't have bought one..

Can Audi pluck such figures out of the air like that? I bought the car based around those stats! If I'd have seen the real ones I wouldn't have bought one..

It is well known that the quoted figures are not achievable in real life. They are figures achieved by a very contrived test. They are relatively good for comparison. e.g. From the figures, an S5 will get worse fuel economy than an S3 but better than an R8.

Oh, and it's not just Audi either. All manufacturers are the same. My wife has a Fiesta which is quote to get 80mpg but we get just over 50 in it!

I'm expecting my mpg to plummet when I get the S3, but it's all relative really, and depends what sort of roads your driving on and how many miles you're doing every day. Have you tried Economy mode @ChivsBang ?

Oh, and it's not just Audi either. All manufacturers are the same. My wife has a Fiesta which is quote to get 80mpg but we get just over 50 in it!

Who gets better mpg in the Fiesta, you or Mrs MB ? :D

Reactions: Simon L, allanmb and pburv
I'm expecting my mpg to plummet when I get the S3, but it's all relative really, and depends what sort of roads your driving on and how many miles you're doing every day. Have you tried Economy mode @ChivsBang ?

Yes very rarely take it out of economy.. occasionally slip it into sports mode when I'm passing a crowd and give it a little blip

:whistle2:

this car keeps surprising me - 66 plate s3 3dr DSG

70 mile trip, m25/m3 travelling around 55/60mph and started off in town too, so 50mpg+ maybe achievable!

Attachments

• IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: samo26, Gordo77 and richinsoton
Doing my first long motorway run from Bristol to Dartford this week, so will be interesting to see what my FL S3 gets.....not been impressed so far! but it seems to be improving as its running in....if that makes a difference?

Reactions: Simon L
Doing my first long motorway run from Bristol to Dartford this week, so will be interesting to see what my FL S3 gets.....not been impressed so far! but it seems to be improving as its running in....if that makes a difference?

'not been impressed so far' ............sounds like your driving it as it should be driven!! lol

It does improve as it beds in though................quite a bit actually. Mine used to register 290miles for a full tank when new.........recently it's more like 340-350miles!

'not been impressed so far' ............sounds like your driving it as it should be driven!! lol

It does improve as it beds in though................quite a bit actually. Mine used to register 290miles for a full tank when new.........recently it's more like 340-350miles!

Have been driving it like Miss Daisy if I'm honest.. had the odd one off the traffic lights but not all the beans!!

Reactions: Simon L
I am coming from a B7 RS4 so anything my new car can do will be a massive improvement :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn

How many miles have you done so far? And have you given it some real stick yet? I've driven my hard a few times once fully warm and I'm seeing around 30mpg around town and 35 on A/B roads and 40+mpg on the motorway

i'm on 2000 miles now,

average since owning the car is 28mpg.. but I have been driving it how it should be driven :racer:

just wanted to see what it could achieve on a run, easily get over 40 on a gentle motorway drive which is awesome for having 300+ ponies under your right foot!

Mine was getting 32mpg for the first thousand miles, a bit concerning.

Now I'm getting mid 20's, much better :racer:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Simon L
I am coming from a B7 RS4 so anything my new car can do will be a massive improvement :)
I also came from a B7 RS4 saloon so loving the improvement in fuel...
I've done 800 miles so far in my FL S3 and averaged around 30 MPG, that's with some "spirited" driving too. Performance wise I'm also dead impressed coming from the RS.

:whistle2:

this car keeps surprising me - 66 plate s3 3dr DSG

70 mile trip, m25/m3 travelling around 55/60mph and started off in town too, so 50mpg+ maybe achievable!

And what's the short term numbers for that journey...?

I have a short commute, only about 7 miles and I'm sitting between 21 and 25 mpg each day. Huge difference on a trip to bluewater down the motorway, mid 30's without exactly taking get it easy.

And what's the short term numbers for that journey...?

Can't remember now bud, was about 1 hour 30 mins of driving.. when I do another long trip I'll try and get over 50 and post some more figures

I have a short commute, only about 7 miles and I'm sitting between 21 and 25 mpg each day. Huge difference on a trip to bluewater down the motorway, mid 30's without exactly taking get it easy.

I do around 30/35 on my commute to near bluewater from 20 ish miles away, mostly a2. Will look out for a fellow facelift driver

Reactions: Gavzilla
How many miles have you done so far? And have you given it some real stick yet? I've driven my hard a few times once fully warm and I'm seeing around 30mpg around town and 35 on A/B roads and 40+mpg on the motorway
Ive given it the beans a few times but only for a 1-2 seconds! (scare the life outta me) of course when its fully up to temperature. Im just coming up to 700 miles, so the Dartford trip will get me run in.....

I'm on 1500 miles with a 12 mile run in to work that is a combination of urban single lane to clear dual carriageway (I'm lucky as I'm going in the opposite direction to the main traffic run both ends of the day :yes:) and am hitting 30mpg each run ........ obviously goes down a tad when I'm playing ...:racer:. I'm happy because the same run was less mpg in my old M135i, but is equally as pleasurable :yahoo:

Reactions: Simon L, Audi Bairn, Gordo77 and 1 other person
Now mine's run in and on normal local journeys commuting giving it large etc. I'm showing around 30/32 mpg on the computer. The last brim to brim fill up calculated to 26mpg. Is driving the S3 worth the 'poor' fuel economy? :yes:

Reactions: Soup, Simon L, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Mines done 800 miles now and it's slowly creeping up, it's up to 28mpg average over those 800 miles, but I barely cruise....

Think I would happily settle for 30! My so called fast track order with Huddersfield Audi has fallen through (terrible customer service) just been into Bradford Audi sorting a factory order going to be a long wait!!

Just got back from a 260 mile round trip and got to say I'm pleased with the 39.1 mpg I got going there but not so sure about the trip back. I was run in by the time I got there so it was time to have a bit of fun...pulling out of Reading services - Jesus it's rapid!

Reactions: samo26, Audi Bairn and Gordo77