Power steering moan? Help

AshA4

Ash
Reaction score
I am getting what I think is power steering groan when turning left at low speeds, not all the time but sounds like steering moan.
First thought was check the fluid, now I am no mechanic but am not stupid by any means, I looked right side where the capped reservoir normally is on the b8 and nowt there?
Does the 3.0tdi not have this?
I can't see the PS fluid reservoir anywhere to check the levels?
Brake fluid is in bulk head and only other fluid reservoirs are coolant and screen wash.
Nowt in owners manual either....

Help?

Could it be a wheel bearing if it is only when you turn?
Number 8 on the below picture is the power steering resevoir.
Upload 2016 9 23 11 15 29

Can you send us a picture of you bay? and do you see a green cap bottom right of the bay?
if there isnt a green cap could be potentially under the scuttle panel like on the b7 3.0. Picture would help :)

Can you send us a picture of you bay? and do you see a green cap bottom right of the bay?
if there isnt a green cap could be potentially under the scuttle panel like on the b7 3.0. Picture would help :)

No green cap anywhere to be seen, not under scuttle cover either... confused to say the least lol

Attachments

• IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    981.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 209
Electric steering rack?
Is the groan only when turning the wheel or when turning with the steering wheel locked?
I'm wondering if it's a ball joint creaking.

Thought the B8's had electronic power steering??

Sure I seen something about it being a common niggle on the B8 at low speeds (parking speeds etc) when I was looking for common faults.

Is yours a B8.5 by chance?

b8-engine-mount-install-02.jpg

Electronic PAS on the 8.5,hence no reservoir for fluid :)

Reactions: AshA4