1998 A3..What next?

L1 HCS

Reaction score
Cam belt + timing belt recently been changed, the lambda sensor was changed last Sunday and now I've been told the Cat is on its way out! what will be the next thing to go?

I've had my car since brand new.. I love it to bits.

Do you think I'm wasting money or do you think I should change the car? :shrug:

Who knows what's next... If you're lucky enough and of course keep on top of maintenance, perhaps nothing?

Obviously cambelts, water pumps and things like that will need to be replaced again at some stage; but as that's all been done recently you should be able to forget those for a good while. In terms of other wear and tear items I'd say you might need to be looking at suspension next time, as sooner or later it's going to get tired; but other than that I guess it's just service parts unless you're unlucky.

On the issue of keep it or sell it I think you've already answered that one yourself... "I love it to bits." If you can confidently make a statement like that; I'd say hang on to it until either a) it no longer meets your needs, b) it's not financially viable to keep it going, or c) you just don't find yourself 'loving it to bits' anymore. Plus I guess that if you've owned it since new the best way you can maximise the value of your purchase now is to carry on driving it until either 'a' or 'b' (and to a lesser extent 'c') above...

Anyway, roll on '98 A3s! Mine's a '98 too, 52,500 miles young, and still going strong; and OK, given what's under the hood it might not be the most white-knuckle style exciting car in the world (or even posted-about on this forum within the last 2 minutes) I enjoy driving it - and when my front bumper's resprayed I'm sure I'll enjoy looking at it again too...

I say the best of luck to you for trouble free motoring, and may you and your '98 A3 live happily ever after!

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Helen,
Did changing the Lambda sensor make any difference to how the car runs?
Who said the Cat is on its way out? I would have thought the cat is ok as its just flown the MOT hasn't it?

Graham.

Hi Gra..

It has made a bit of a difference, but its still doesn't feel 100%.. I think its slowly dying on me :unsure:

My brother had a 96 A3 and he told me that the Cat went after the Lambda! eek..