2001 1.8t quattro (180) Rear Silencer

mclearg

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a rear silencer that will fit straight onto my A3. Not looking for sports necessarily and original is too much money for me at the moment .
Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative ?
I spotted a used S3 pipe on eBay but it'seems too far away . . .would it fit ?
Also need to replace the double clamp on the cat to mid section . . .looking for the pipe diameter .
Cheers
Gordon

S3 rear box will fit with the correct hangers (S3 ones) and would also need to cut out a section of the rear valance and bumper as S3 tail pipes exit through the bumper and not behind the bumper like the A3...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/macnee/A3_s3 bumper Document.htm

S3 pipework is 2.5", A3 is 2" iirc

<tuffty/>

Reactions: mclearg
A3 quattro after market exhausts might well be different to the S3... not something I have ever looked into personally... but I know that an S3 (8L) exhaust can be made to fit an A3 quattro..

FWD A3's are far more prevalent than the quattro so finding a specific one may be tricky but there is always the custom exhaust route..

Replacing the downpipe would be an idea too... A3 ones are restrictive... note that eBay sellers often list S3 ones as fitting the A3... this is incorrect if your A3 still has the std turbo (K03) but as people often fit K04's from an S3 then you can use one then..

<tuffty/>

Reactions: mclearg
Yeah. I knew that the turbos were different making the pipes not interchangeable.
I'm going to hunt a few breakers and I'll be near Glasgow next weekend so I'll have a hunt there too .
Cheers

You could probably fit the S3 exhaust with a reducer, the pipe is 63mm diameter on the S3.