Facelift Daytime Running Lights

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AudiNutta, Rob2k68, pburv and 2 others
its a electricians thing mate l hate using any kinda light unnecessarily
What? This makes no sense at all. It's like a tailor avoiding the use of underpants. Surely as an electrician you ought to be promoting the use of lights?

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv, Audi Bairn and 2 others
What? This makes no sense at all. It's like a tailor avoiding the use of underpants. Surely as an electrician you ought to be promoting the use of lights?

Naw....not in a car Grant,if l want rear lights on that should be my choice...not ****** Audis

Reactions: Rob2k68, Simon L and pburv
Naw....not in a car Grant,if l want rear lights on that should be my choice...not ****** Audis
Actually it might be the EU's, thats why we have front daylight running lights now. I cannot find anything so far but there might be a new directive coming in that now states rear DRL's are needed. Audi could have started implementation early.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Actually it might be the EU's, thats why we have front daylight running lights now. I cannot find anything so far but there might be a new directive coming in that now states rear DRL's are needed. Audi could have started implementation early.
Wouldn't matter much here as I assume we will be leaving the EU shortly?....:whistle2:

Reactions: glospete, Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Wouldn't matter much here as I assume we will be leaving the EU shortly?....:whistle2:
Willing to bet that DRL will be one of the road traffic laws we keep.

Am all for it to be honest. Activating rear DRL's is one of my most popular offerings. Makes you more noticeable on the road.

Reactions: KenL, glospete, Rob2k68 and 3 others
Am I right in thinking that with PFL you can use VCDS to have the rear lights activated as DRL though?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yep ..... and add an MMI menu option to turn them off and/or also be off with the headlamp switch at 'o' position.

Why would you want to though?

I thought this at first but then activated them, sometimes it can be a fairly dull day but just beneath the threshold to activate auto lights and on a grey car it's a nice safety feature to have - plus they look cool LoL !!!

Exactly mate....Leds fade through use, just like any other light....

More obvious on the older lights like BMWs had where you can see the actual LED when you look through the lens and also over time the lens would also discolour, probably a lot more subtle on the discharge lighting on the Audi where it's more of a refracted glow.

Reactions: slinemfc, pburv, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Hi guys, I've a question on my S3 8V FL (my2018)..
Somebody could tell me how, via VCDS, can I turn off DRL when light switch is on "0" position?

Somebody could tell me how, via VCDS, can I turn off DRL when light switch is on "0" position?

If I’m not mistaken it’s a legal requirement for DRLs to be on on cars made after 2014/15? I may be wrong about the date!

Reactions: KenL
If I’m not mistaken it’s a legal requirement for DRLs to be on on cars made after 2014/15? I may be wrong about the date!

November 2012 for fronts I think. There may be a more recent change for rear lights too.

Reactions: Scottyg
I think the fronts are a legal requirement but there is no requirement in the UK for rear DRLs.

You can't. As stated above, it's a legal requirement.

I think the fronts are a legal requirement but there is no requirement in the UK for rear DRLs.

Yet. It'll happen and it looks like Audi are pre-empting it by enabling them on the latest models.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KenL
Here in NA we do not have rear DRL's activated. I have a Facelift model as well. There is an option in VCDS to code them on or off if I am not mistaken.

Reactions: glospete
Here in NA we do not have rear DRL's activated. I have a Facelift model as well. There is an option in VCDS to code them on or off if I am not mistaken.

In the UK they've only been enabled on the A3 on the latest model (MY18). The original facelift last year didn't have them.

From what I've heard/read, it seems they're hard-wired into the rear clusters and can't be disabled via VCDS any more.

In the UK they've only been enabled on the A3 on the latest model (MY18). The original facelift last year didn't have them.

From what I've heard/read, it seems they're hard-wired into the rear clusters and can't be disabled via VCDS any more.
I think s line and s3 have them on MY17, the S3 definitely has as mine has them.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
You can't. As stated above, it's a legal requirement.

Sure?.. I found this:

Disable DRL’s in Light Switch ‘O’ Position
=========================
[09] Central Electronics
Adaptation : (9) Tagfahrlicht-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO
Set Active

Definitely a legal requirement in the UK. The fact you can turn them off via the VCDS is irrelevant, a bit like you can drive the car without the seatbelt on.

Learnt something from the this thread, never realised my rear lights on all the time ! (I definitely check next time I drive it !)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Slight thread creep.
Does MY18 S3 have courtesy lights (side lights +fogs) come on when you lock/unlock if dark and in auto?
My current model does - but I can’t see it anywhere on spec details. Ps I’ve spec’d Matrix lights if it makes any difference?
Thanks

Slight thread creep.
Does MY18 S3 have courtesy lights (side lights +fogs) come on when you lock/unlock if dark and in auto?
My current model does - but I can’t see it anywhere on spec details. Ps I’ve spec’d Matrix lights if it makes any difference?
Thanks
Yep, Coming Home or something similar.....setting in MMI, although I don't have matrix, just vanilla LED, and there are no fogs.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Flying Pig
Sure?.. I found this:

Disable DRL’s in Light Switch ‘O’ Position
=========================
[09] Central Electronics
Adaptation : (9) Tagfahrlicht-Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO
Set Active

Could be wrong but I don't think that works any more with the latest models.

Yep, Coming Home or something similar.....setting in MMI, although I don't have matrix, just vanilla LED, and there are no fogs.

It's the actual main headlight that will come on when you unlock though not the sidelight (DRL's) @Flying Pig

Reactions: Flying Pig, kevpuk and Audi Bairn

MY2017 does have them enabled. Mine was one of the early ones in Nov 2016 and it's got them on.

My MY17 has rear DRL's from factory as well

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Hmm, seems like it is only the S3 that had them enabled for MY17 has a colleague as an S-Line which doesn't have them.

Usually ok but my lights don't always stay on when I lock the car in the dark. Anyone else have this issue?

You could enable them on earlier models though. I did on my PFL car. Happy that they're on by standard now on the rear, I prefer it that way.

Reactions: glospete
Usually ok but my lights don't always stay on when I lock the car in the dark. Anyone else have this issue?
They should stay on for the duration they're set for in the settings as long as it's dark enough and light switch is on Auto. Might just need adjusted in the settings?

I have Matrix lighting on mine and by the cringe when they come on it is like driving in daylight.

In Denmark the rules were changed back to rear lights always should be on. That is the reason why all cars sold now here have rear light DRL’s.

Could be a EU law and same reason your cars changed setup as well? At least some rules you need to follow for a short while still.

When my car light switch is set to the circle symbol then only the front Led strips are on, thats why i usually use the daytime light setting (right of the circle setting) which dims the led's to 50% or 60% at the front i think and on that setting the rear led strips come on aswell at 100%. Must be the same on your car too or not?