S3 airbag removal help...

larbel

Reaction score
Anyone removed/replaced the airbag before on the S3? I couldn't get the latch to release, I'm using a flathead screwdriver and push the latch down but it just springs right back, couldn't get it to release.. Does anyone know the trick to this? Thanks!

Steering wheel airbag ? Yes I have when I changed to the MY16 DSG paddles. I'll try and find the pics but there are two wire hooks that need to move away from the centre of the wheel - if they're springing back that would suggest you need to move them a little more until they line up with the slot in the wheel.

Reactions: larbel
Sorry - hook wires need to go towards the centre.

View from back of steering wheel, push the wire towards centre ....
IMG 1503

When reassembling the sprung wire rises along the ramps before clipping behind the wheel .....
IMG 1502

Thanks Rob!! So basically I should keep pushing the hook further till it snaps in a slot?? I pushed it to the opening and it just sprung right back right now.. How far down do I need to push the hook? Thanks again!!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks Rob!! So basically I should keep pushing the hook further till it snaps in a slot?? I pushed it to the opening and it just sprung right back right now.. How far down do I need to push the hook? Thanks again!!

You're welcome ;o)

Keep pushing until the airbag half pops out - it's kind of sprung loaded and needs a little force to push back in. You'll know when you've unlatched it. Hopefully battery is disconnected LoL !!

You're welcome ;o)

Keep pushing until the airbag half pops out - it's kind of sprung loaded and needs a little force to push back in. You'll know when you've unlatched it. Hopefully battery is disconnected LoL !!

Haha actually, I'm doing this with battery connected!! Just wanted to test the new multifunction buttons so not gonna disconnect the airbag, just the multifunction button connector.. Death wish I guess lol

Haha actually, I'm doing this with battery connected!! Just wanted to test the new multifunction buttons so not gonna disconnect the airbag, just the multifunction button connector.. Death wish I guess lol

Haha LoL good luck !!

Actually from memory the airbag cable is not very long, you may need to disconnect this and remove the airbag to get to the button connector.

Haha LoL good luck !!

Actually from memory the airbag cable is not very long, you may need to disconnect this and remove the airbag to get to the button connector.

That make sense.. Perhaps I should do it the proper way lol Airbag doesn't taste that good from past memory anyway lol