A4 Quattro clutch replacement advise required if possible.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really guys, has anyone performed there own DIY clutch and flywheel replacement , i'm looking for as much info as possible really and any links to decent videos showing the job, I don't really want to do it myself but feel the total cost of a garage repair is quite steep and as i'm very hands on and mechanically minded I may be able to do the job myself.
any help or info would be greatfully received .

Looks like I need a workshop manual, anyone have link to one or wants to sell me a copy, has to be for 2.0tfsi Quattro based car.

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob.
Attached the Elsa Win operations for removal and installation of the GMV quattro gearbox from a B7 A4 with the BUL engine.
They are fairly generic though as the removal document is the same on any 4 cylinder engine.
I changed the 5 speed gearbox in my Passat for a 6 speed box changing the DMF / clutch gear linkage mechanism /starter motor etc on the drive at home over a weekend. Managed it all myself except putting the 6 speed box back in that required some assistance. My gearbox weighed 75Kg, I suspect yours is more like 90Kg +
You need to get the car pretty high in the air. It's not ideal to be doing it outside either at this time of the year.

I made a wooden lifting platform that would bolt to my trolley jack. This made it possible to remove the gearbox on my own. Although putting the new one in the car wasn't high enough to roll the gearbox under the car on the jack. So had to slide the gearbox under the car and then get it on the jack which is why I needed some help to put it back in.

Another approach if you have access to an engine crane is to fold open the front of the car and remove the complete engine / gearbox together. This avoids a lot of crawling around under the car.

Courtesy of Chris Adams @adamss24

P150312_1517_01.jpg

Attachments

• A4 B7- BUL - GMV gearbox removal.pdf
    786.8 KB · Views: 623
  • A4 B7- BUL - GMV gearbox install.pdf
    631.8 KB · Views: 401
many thanks for that , do I need to remove the g/box completely to change the dmf and clutch then , is it not possible to just move it back away from the engine enough to do the change over.

I seriously doubt you will be able to move it far enough back to change the clutch. Best to get it out of the way completely.

Ben

aint as easy as a bike clutch that rob buddy, pay some one to do it for you mate, you tight *** lmao

Reactions: Dani_B19 and carlcall
I've over spent on Christmas this year so I think its going to be DIY job ..... it cant be any worse than removing an e-type gearbox that didn't want to be removed.....

anyway tony , I need some sort of calming activity out of the house over the xmas break or I am likely to be going a bit of my trolley...lol

anyway tony , I need some sort of calming activity out of the house over the xmas break or I am likely to be going a bit of my trolley...lol

that's what alcohol is for Rob, lol drown your annoying family members out with it ha ha

If your in the Leeds/Bradford area, I can get it done cheap for you. I had mine done (same BUL as yours) recently, £200 for labour. I went for an uprated clutch though from America (and its awesome!!!).

I honestly would not even attempt this without a 4 post lift.

Reactions: tony mc
I may well get it done by my local indy, depends on my (1) state of mind over the weekend , (2) if I am actually sober enough and (3) well not sure what it is but I expect all will become clearer on the morning I decided to rip the car apart...