Audi S4 DSG temp not reaching 90

mdmay

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an issue with my B8 S4 where the temperature gauge does not reach 90 after a prolonged drive. There are no DTC's logged. Does anyone know if there is a second thermostat for DSG cars like there are on MK5 Golf DSG cars as the main thermostat was changed prior to my ownership?
Other than the thermostat i suppose it could be a dodgy temperature sender does anyone know where these are as when the temperature gauge sits below 90 after 40 mins of motorway driving the oil temps are also very low circa 70-80.

many thanks

Mike

There is a thread on here about this issue, I have the same problem but today the outside temp was 4.5 c but the gauge went to 90 but it struggled before, could be a sticking thermostat, hope this helps

Reactions: mdmay
Shall have to try and look for that thread

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a sticking thermostat, thermostat is located under the supercharger had mine replaced last year when my water pump went

Time for me to research supercharger removal. Whilst it is off I might as well change the water pump again change pcv and clean out the ports.

Reactions: Chop.
Today it got up to 90 and stayed there so something is either failing intermittently or stuck.

My water pump went so just got my local to do the thermostat while He was at it as the pump looked ok when it came out

Time for me to research supercharger removal. Whilst it is off I might as well change the water pump again change pcv and clean out the ports.

When the Thermostat gives trouble, it usually sticks shut, causing overheating. Apparently a plastic retaining clip snaps off holding the spring.
Try changing the coolant temp sensor (relatively easy/cheap) as this has been the problem for some.
Seems like a good idea to me when the supercharger is off to change thermostat, water pump, pcv + Temp Sensor as preventative maintenance.

Reactions: Chop. and mdmay
Location of Coolant Temp Sensor... #3 in second pic.........
Screen20Shot202017 01 0220at2012 21 3120PM
Screen20Shot202017 01 0220at2012 25 5120PM

Many thanks appreciate it