Facelift I would drive 5000 miles and I would drive 5000 more

allanmb

Reaction score
At the weekend I noticed I hit the 5000 mile mark in my new S3. Having had A4s before (a 3.2 and a 2.0TDI177) I wasn't sure about going for a '3' model. In my opinion, there is a small downgrade in build quality and there is less storage space in the 3 but after a while I find that I don't miss either. The S3 is more fun to drive than my 3.2 was and makes nicer noises on gear changes albeit at the expense of nicer engine noise and engine braking in the 3.2. The S3 seems to handle much more nimbly however the lack of full-time quattro in the S3 does make me slightly more wary in certain conditions.

Some stats from my fill-ups (although the S3 whoudl imprive slightly as it ages and gets into summer - remember I've only owned it in the colder/damper months so far)

S3 Fuel consumption: 26.8 -> 39.0mpg (Ave 30.6mpg)
A4 2.0TDI Quattro (177): 34.7 -> 47.9mpg (Ave 40.6mpg)
A4 3.2 Quattro (B7): 19.2->31.5mpg (Ave: 24.8mpg)

And here is a pic of the 5000 mark! Obviously I was parked when taking the photo!

Reactions: Koomerang, Audi Bairn, Tom.H and 5 others
I tend to park on roundabouts all the time ;)

Reactions: MattSedg, StefRobinson and Terminator x
I have done 3.5k in mine but my average is way down on yours at 26.8

What do you make of the virtual dash vs "old" style dash in past cars?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Interested to know in what ways the S3's build quality is inferior to the A4? Not driven the A4 myself but find the S3's build really solid.

At the weekend I noticed I hit the 5000 mile mark in my new S3. Having had A4s before (a 3.2 and a 2.0TDI177) I wasn't sure about going for a '3' model. In my opinion, there is a small downgrade in build quality and there is less storage space in the 3 but after a while I find that I don't miss either. The S3 is more fun to drive than my 3.2 was and makes nicer noises on gear changes albeit at the expense of nicer engine noise and engine braking in the 3.2. The S3 seems to handle much more nimbly however the lack of full-time quattro in the S3 does make me slightly more wary in certain conditions.

Some stats from my fill-ups (although the S3 whoudl imprive slightly as it ages and gets into summer - remember I've only owned it in the colder/damper months so far)

And here is a pic of the 5000 mark! Obviously I was parked when taking the photo!
View attachment 116743

Very similar experience to mine Allan, although I've come from A5 then S5 and I've only done about 1800 miles in the S3 so far. Due to where I'm located I drive a lot of B roads (thankfully most can be driven at a reasonable speed) and the S5 was more planted but it was bigger and heavier too. The size of the S3 is better suited but I'm not as confident taken some of the bends as fast but I'm still getting used to it too and can't wait for the better weather.
I think I know what you mean about the interior although I wouldn't say it was inferior build quality imho, but more that there's more to the interior of the bigger cars which gives the impression of it being more luxurious.
S3 is more fun to drive I'd say and I'm loving it. The latest tech in my S3 is a step up on the S5, which was less than 3 yrs old when I traded it. I'm so glad I got the virtual dash.

Reactions: allanmb
I have done 3.5k in mine but my average is way down on yours at 26.8

Your average is my worst fillup! What kind of driving do you do? Mine is probably around 60% city and 40% long distance. I usually just have the car in eco for the city driving but put it into sport for the fun A roads ;-)

What do you make of the virtual dash vs "old" style dash in past cars?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

I really like it! To be honest, I thought I'd have the maps in the centre as it looks the coolest but it's better when showing this rev/speedo central gauge then you can have lots of details on either side. I tried setting the VC back to mimic a normal dash and didn't like it. The central rev/speedo makes it very easy and quick to see what's going on with the engine, just in-case the noise wasn't a giveaway ;-)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Interested to know in what ways the S3's build quality is inferior to the A4? Not driven the A4 myself but find the S3's build really solid.

There just seems to be more plastic around, and things just don't feel quite as solid/well finished. The small plastic handles around the S3 are terrible, e.g. the one where the first aid kit is, and the laughable shopping bag hooks. On the A4 these were absolutely solid, and about 5 times bigger!

Reactions: Audi Bairn

View attachment 116743
For the performance the consumption isn't terrible by the looks of it. Hoping to pick mine up Sunday, arrived inSheerness today.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and allanmb