Audi S3 Facelift Model - Engine Start Button ?

seyre

Reaction score
Hi All - Quick Q for you all.

I've ordered a new S3- due for delivery June (hopefully ....) However looking around a few other S3's at local dealership - some have a Button Start Engine next to Gearstick/shifter - others doe not .... So a bit confused as to why some do and some don't - all were on 66 plates.

So can anybody definitely say whether all Facelift S3's have an Engine start button - or is this only with the Advanced key option (which I didn't order/would take me over the magic 40k incurring the additional £320 a year roadtax ....)

Cheers,

seyre

fairly sure its to do with the advanced key mate

Not a fan of the engine start button personally. I test drove a BMW 1 Series in 2015 which had it (other than it being a BMW anyway this also put me off the car) and my girlfriend's 66 plate Mazda 2 has it as well. You can't beat the sound of the engine turning over as you twist the key in the ignition :)

If you don't have advanced key you have to put the key in the steering column - as in the olden days!!

Reactions: lledwoc
In my A5 you put the fob into the dash, I really like this approach. It's going to be weird to turn a key again :)

Cheers chaps - not something I'm desperate to have - Just couldn't seem a rhyme or reason to why some had it/others didn't.

seyre

Love advanced key on mine, so much easier. Just leave the key in your pocket and that's it, same for opening the doors.

Love advanced key on mine, so much easier. Just leave the key in your pocket and that's it, same for opening the doors.
Forgive my ignorance... what if (very unlikely) you were outside your car with the key in your pocket? Could somebody jump in and drive off because the key would be in range? I may be completely wide of the mark :)

Reactions: Mark_86
Forgive my ignorance... what if (very unlikely) you were outside your car with the key in your pocket? Could somebody jump in and drive off because the key would be in range? I may be completely wide of the mark :)

The car will only start when the key is in the cabin, even if you have the key just outside the door, it won't start. It's pretty clever and I've yet to be able to trick a keyless car. (Had it on my old ST). The only way for someone to drive off without the key is if you leave the engine running and jump out. But, when the car moves off, it beeps like crazy and stop start will soon put an end to proceedings lol... the car won't fire again until it detects the key.

Reactions: Jamie_88
The car will only start when the key is in the cabin, even if you have the key just outside the door, it won't start. It's pretty clever and I've yet to be able to trick a keyless car. (Had it on my old ST). The only way for someone to drive off without the key is if you leave the engine running and jump out. But, when the car moves off, it beeps like crazy and stop start will soon put an end to proceedings lol... the car won't fire again until it detects the key.
That's awesome! I wasn't aware of that at all. I had this horrible image of somebody jumping in and driving off while the owner was stood outside taking a phone call or something lol. When I get my S3 next year I may have to spec this as it would make a nice little addition!

Admittedly a different car but in my mums Scenic the range is quite long! i drove her to the hairdressers over xmas in her car, she got out, i drove off, i got at least 200m down the road when it conked out! key was in mums pocket! somehow the lock and unlock function only works right near the car! Everyone here is talking about the lock/unlock function & that the engine will only start if the key is inside, but it would be interesting to recreate a scenario like what happened to me...

The only reason I specced advanced key is because I find it pathetic (seriously Audi, it's really pathetic) that the 2017 A3/S3 still has the same decrepit flip-key that was available on the A3 in 2004.

I miss the fob style key from my B8 A4. I can't stand things dangling from the steering column, hitting my knee occasionally. Really wasn't fussed on it being keyless or having an engine start button, but to not have the key in the column, that swung it!

The only reason I specced advanced key is because I find it pathetic (seriously Audi, it's really pathetic) that the 2017 A3/S3 still has the same decrepit flip-key that was available on the A3 in 2004.

I miss the fob style key from my B8 A4. I can't stand things dangling from the steering column, hitting my knee occasionally. Really wasn't fussed on it being keyless or having an engine start button, but to not have the key in the column, that swung it!
Oh wow, that's nuts! This is my second ever car (first was a 52 plate Fiesta) and I thought the flip-key was pretty cool, but if it's existed since 2004 then that's a bit of concern going forward. Audi (for me) are pioneers in terms of quality materials in their cars... except this it seems. I think I'll have to spec this too.

Advanced key is just a boggo flip key guys, if you spec'd it expecting something different or special I am afraid you will be gravely disappointed.

Reactions: richinsoton
S3 and RS3 should have keyless entry/start as standard, and offer an advanced option to open the boot like on the RS6 etc.

Audi seems to be getting as bad as Porsche when it comes to options, and don't get me on the Technology Pack scam if you want Virtual Cockpit

Audi do 2 types of Press button ignition,on the A3/S3 its easy stolen...keyless entry....lol,the second one is press button ignition only....TT/A4/A5 have this

S3 and RS3 should have keyless entry/start as standard, and offer an advanced option to open the boot like on the RS6 etc.

Audi seems to be getting as bad as Porsche when it comes to options, and don't get me on the Technology Pack scam if you want Virtual Cockpit

Never happen...you'll get press button ignition on the next All new A3......but keyless for free...Not a chance tis the Audi way.

As for the RS6....Audi build these cars at a slight loss....they only make money off of the options....which can be megabucks

Advanced key is just a boggo flip key guys, if you spec'd it expecting something different or special I am afraid you will be gravely disappointed.

Yes it is, but I don't have to flip it, ever. It's also not dangling close to my knee like every single car since the dawn of time.

It was the one thing that was a backwards step from my A4, so I did the only thing I could do about it.

Now I don't have to flip the key, hell I don't have to see the sodding thing, can't actually remember the last time it came out of my jacket pocket!

Yes it is, but I don't have to flip it, ever. It's also not dangling close to my knee like every single car since the dawn of time.

It was the one thing that was a backwards step from my A4, so I did the only thing I could do about it.

Now I don't have to flip the key, hell I don't have to see the sodding thing, can't actually remember the last time it came out of my jacket pocket!

Exactly the same reason as why I spec'd it on mine bud, I very much wanted to leave the key in my pocket as I hate the dangling keys also. I was just trying to point out to anyone thinking of spec'ing it that it looks nothing special and not to expect too much aesthetically.

I am frustrated it doesn't even lock the car when you walk away without locking it. Even my Renault craptur done this.

How does the advanced key work on locking the car?? I've had keyless entry and start/stop on my car since 2008 so I spec'd it same as you so there were no backward steps. On my current car though, you press a button on the door handle to lock it. I asked the dealer if it was the same and he said no, but didn't elaborate and I forgot to ask more :/

Same, but instead of a button it is like a tiny swipe pad you run your finger over

Reactions: Steelster
As said by Pederson, it's a capacitive section of the handle that you touch (don't have to swipe) to lock.

I tend to use my thumb.

Reactions: Pederson and Steelster
As said by Pederson, it's a capacitive section of the handle that you touch (don't have to swipe) to lock.

I tend to use my thumb.
That's good to know, I always swipe it, will just touch it now, save me looking like a weirdo who strokes his car!!

i would love to have it like the R8, that looks sick!

Keyless entry is asking for trouble with car thieves.....

Huge problem on the Fiesta ST and Focus ST

Ahh - wondered how long it would be until someone piled in with the security issue!
Lots of folk highlight that it's easier to steal a car with keyless entry.

I don't really understand all the comments about dangling either. The key just flips out and sticks straight into the column. Only thing to dangle would be something you put on it - not Audi's fault.

As for the RS6....Audi build these cars at a slight loss....they only make money off of the options....which can be megabucks

The one I had for the day in Germany I specc'd to at least £110k with the options I knew it had, may have been some I missed! That was an Audi owned car though so guess they pretty much threw everything on it, except the carbon pack, it only had the carbon mirrors.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Keyless entry is asking for trouble with car thieves.....

Huge problem on the Fiesta ST and Focus ST

Had a Focus ST with keyless, never had any issues. In truth, it depends on what part of the country you live in, but the big problem with the Ford's is the OBD port is located close to the window in an alarm blind spot and it's easy to get in and hack it.

Had a Focus ST with keyless, never had any issues. In truth, it depends on what part of the country you live in, but the big problem with the Ford's is the OBD port is located close to the window in an alarm blind spot and it's easy to get in and hack it.

My cousin had a fiesta ST and had some very strange moments with the keyless system! That sodding OBD port issue aswell is terrible ! Easy to nick fords as always !