Intercooler idea...

MrK

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate anyone's thoughts and ideas.

I have an A4 B7 2008 2.0Tdi 170 Quattro, it's a BRD engine, remapped to 205bhp.

It has DSMIC's where each IC is joined in series by a fixed pipe across the front of the engine bay.

My idea is that I could take a A4 B8 intercooler and insert it in series in between the 2 DSMIC's, all I think I'd need to do is source some pipe work to join it up, please see the pic that hopefully explains what I mean.

The reason for doing this is to keep costs down and to maintain the OEM look.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments regarding any issues to consider.

Kind regards

Attachments

• turbo intercooler pip routing.JPG
    turbo intercooler pip routing.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,551
Not sure what you mean... you're going for a triple intercooler setup :huh:

Best bet is swapping the two side mounts, getting a universal intercooler kit (with the pipework) or picking a full kit up from Darkside (to save the pipework hassle). Either way I can't see any reason why you'd leave the two side mounts, if your worried about it looking OEM just get it all black.

Reactions: MrK
Just fit a big front mount instead, the side mounts are crap
IMG_3428_zpsgh172ehu.jpg

Reactions: 344bigal, MrK, Dani_B19 and 1 other person
I notice darkside do a B7 one now but not that large and £450

Thanks for your comments.

That is an impressive IC Jay1601, does this mean the front crash bar is now permanently removed or does it fit back in place over the IC?

I saw I could pick up a used IC from an A4 B8 for between £50-£70 and I thought this could be cheap enhancement option.

Mine is a airtec cooler from my old 1.8T cupra and just made pipe work up to suit. Means no crash bar but may work on cutting a bit out to refit the crash bar back in.

Hi,
Thanks for you comments so far, so, mainly due to cost, I think I'm going to install a generic cooler of similar size to the one on DS and get some appropriate piping and take out the SMIC's.

I've numerous other posts and am really looking for a How To guide on swapping out/upgrading the cooler and things I need to consider, for example, I see the current pipe across the front of the car is slightly narrower to increase pressure and flow, so at this point I have to admit I'm a complete newb when it comes to work like this.

Things I think I need to consider and would welcome comments on:
Should I leave the standard pipe diameter?
Can I just swap the cooler without any need for a further remap?
Is it really as simple as it seems?

Many thanks

Hi,
Thanks for you comments so far, so, mainly due to cost, I think I'm going to install a generic cooler of similar size to the one on DS and get some appropriate piping and take out the SMIC's.

I've numerous other posts and am really looking for a How To guide on swapping out/upgrading the cooler and things I need to consider, for example, I see the current pipe across the front of the car is slightly narrower to increase pressure and flow, so at this point I have to admit I'm a complete newb when it comes to work like this.

Things I think I need to consider and would welcome comments on:
Should I leave the standard pipe diameter?
Can I just swap the cooler without any need for a further remap?
Is it really as simple as it seems?

Many thanks

I found on a previous project for another car that the OEM Renault Scenic diesel intercoolers (I think it was off a 1.9 DCi) are quite large and are also front mounts (plus cost about £30), also if you are wanting to keep an OEM look then perhaps look at some of the water/air charge coolers.

I've got a brand new universal kit (with pipework) drop us a pm if your interested.