Hatchback Owners - Any Regrets?

ASRman

Reaction score
So I've decided to order a FL S3 3 - door S Tronic in Glacier White with an expected delivery date of mid April 2017.

Strangely, I decided to order the car without even seeing it in the flesh and as is usual at this point, my mind is starting to play games... Has anyone taken delivery of a hatchback S3/A3 and wished they had gone for the sportback?

One thing that puts me off about the sportback is the sheer length of the thing, as im not keen on the estate car like looks, but I must say that I do prefer the rear lights on the sportback, and the rear of the hatchback doesn't quite look right I cant put my finger on it.

Both cars have positives and negatives looks wise for me, anyone else found themselves in this pickle ? :/

Reactions: RickyB
This is like the manual/DSG debate ;)
I have had my 3dr S3 for 2.5years, no regrets at all but then only myself and the wife are ever in it. To me the sportback looks too long in the wheelbase and a bit estatey from certain angles BUT many more sportbacks are sold so I am clearly in the minority (or even wrong). The 3dr is a little bulky at the rear pillar but different/bigger wheels affect the look a lot, I think white is one of the best colours on the 3dr. Don't care about the rear lights as long as they work when I want them to.

From another thread on here it sounds like the 3dr is going to be a rare thing on the roads.

Reactions: ASRman
According to Parkers the Sportback is 70mm longer than the 3 door and the wheelbase is 35mm longer so nothing in it between the 2.

It's all personal opinion though, I prefer the look of the Sportback.

Reactions: deanshaw24, Jassyo06, Mark_86 and 2 others
Sorry to say I regretted my 3dr pretty quickly. I thought I'd be okay and the extra saving was the deal clincher. But reality sunk in quite quickly how much of a pain it is getting people in and out of the car and other silly things like getting the shopping in when the boot fills up. It's so much easier to open a rear door and throw stuff in the back. Looks wise I'm sorry to say I prefer the look of the 5 door as well on the S3, which for me is unusual. The extra Audi deposit contribution was really nice though. I only kept it for 10 months as it was a bit too annoying. I've got a new sportback on its way soon so that should make me happier.

Reactions: Jassyo06, batch, Spurrellian and 2 others
I still think the Saloon is the best option. You get a big boot, great styling and doors in the back.

The 5 door is practical but definitely looks more family car.

Reactions: davc, RichardT and paradigital
I used to be a 3 door only and would not consider 5 doors but the A3 has totally converted me.
I can't quite put my finger on it but I have to say that the slightly longer proportions of the Sportback really work on this car.
I do still really like the 3 door too, but in addition to the looks, the 5 door has so much more practicality which I am enjoying daily.
Getting in & out of my car in both my garage and car parks is a breeze with the shorter front doors ... its great !
Having immediate access to the rear seats is also really useful.
My last car was an S5 and that had HUGE doors which I had to squeeze out of & prior to that a TT which are equally big.
I put up with huge doors for years and the sportback is a breath of fresh air & it certainly doesn't look like an estate :)
The saloon is fine but you do lose some of the practicality that a hatch affords.

Reactions: Jassyo06, batch, Scottyg and 2 others
Sorry to say I regretted my 3dr pretty quickly. I thought I'd be okay and the extra saving was the deal clincher. But reality sunk in quite quickly how much of a pain it is getting people in and out of the car and other silly things like getting the shopping in when the boot fills up. It's so much easier to open a rear door and throw stuff in the back. Looks wise I'm sorry to say I prefer the look of the 5 door as well on the S3, which for me is unusual. The extra Audi deposit contribution was really nice though. I only kept it for 10 months as it was a bit too annoying. I've got a new sportback on its way soon so that should make me happier.

I've had a three door for the last 4 years (company) and gone for a sportback as a replacement

I dont have kids or anything but having three doors is a real pain

Happy with my 3 dr and I think it looks better than the 5 door. Saloon looks cool, but was over my budget at the time.

Reactions: Milnesafc, LewMcC and ASRman
This is like the manual/DSG debate ;)
I have had my 3dr S3 for 2.5years, no regrets at all but then only myself and the wife are ever in it. To me the sportback looks too long in the wheelbase and a bit estatey from certain angles BUT many more sportbacks are sold so I am clearly in the minority (or even wrong). The 3dr is a little bulky at the rear pillar but different/bigger wheels affect the look a lot, I think white is one of the best colours on the 3dr. Don't care about the rear lights as long as they work when I want them to.

From another thread on here it sounds like the 3dr is going to be a rare thing on the roads.

Good to hear, seems neither the sportback or the hatchback really nail it from all angles in the looks department. I also had a look at the other thread seems as though I got lucky with a build date of 20 March having only ordered the car end of Jan.

Thankfully i'll be the only person sat in the car and occasionally my girlfriend when im in a good mood so practicality doesnt really come into for me. I hope you enjoy your sportback when it arrives

I used to be a 3 door only and would not consider 5 doors but the A3 has totally converted me.
I can't quite put my finger on it but I have to say that the slightly longer proportions of the Sportback really work on this car.
I do still really like the 3 door too, but in addition to the looks, the 5 door has so much more practicality which I am enjoying daily.
Getting in & out of my car in both my garage and car parks is a breeze with the shorter front doors ... its great !
Having immediate access to the rear seats is also really useful.
My last car was an S5 and that had HUGE doors which I had to squeeze out of & prior to that a TT which are equally big.
I put up with huge doors for years and the sportback is a breath of fresh air & it certainly doesn't look like an estate :)
The saloon is fine but you do lose some of the practicality that a hatch affords.

See this is what I dont want to hear, I also would generally never consider 5 door over 3 door, the fact that I will basically never use the back seats and rarely go shopping in my car mean that practically really isnt the issue, its just that 3-doors have always looked more sporty to me. I guess one thing that the hatchback does have going in its favour is the reduced weight meaning slighter faster 0-60 times, although it obviously will not really make a difference on the roads.

I think I will have to make a trip down to a local dealer to check out some hatchbacks to put my mind at rest lol

Had my 3 door nearly a year and love it. It has taken me all over Europe with my girlfriends and my life inside it, literally everything, bikes, 5 suitcases, plants and dog! Very practical, easy to live with. Although the mother in law didnt think so last week when trying to get out of the back! almost had to pull her out :highly amused:....

I like the big doors, others like the smaller less heavier doors in the Sportback.

The Sportback reminds me of an estate although they are getting nicer as the 8V model develops. The older versions where the worst,8P's and before. They reminded me of the old Volvo V40 & Subaru Impreza estate where they tried to make an estate look sporty. Saloon i just dont get and never have although people on here love it. The rear boot just jutting put seems outdated but thats my opinion. Never have liked saloons.

I would only go for a Sportback if i had a child on the way, the extra space and doors would let me have practically the same car, but also not have to give much up for a bit of space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06
I have a 3 dr & would agree that they look sportier too. The only downside I would say is the length of the doors if you're not a lanky chap such as myself as the seatbelts are going to be a looooong way behind you especially if you suffer from backpain. Personally speaking I don't have an issue getting in/out in my garage & I never park near anyone else in a car park either. To be fair to the sportback it's a 5 door hatch & not an estate IMHO if you compare it to a Golf estate. I'd actually be interested if it was a proper estate car. I have no issues with loading up the 3 dr, 3 people, 3 suitcase & 3 ski / snoowboards is easily possible. & the 3 dr has the bonus of being almost the rarest model in the range.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASRman and Jassyo06
Only good thing about the 3 door is that you hardly ever see another one, unlike all the other shape A3s.

The big doors are a pain and only have two opening positions, too small to get in and out and clatter the car next door.

The tilt and slide seats never go back to the same place.

When you do the above the seatbelt is always hooked on the seat adjuster.

Getting in the back requires the suppleness of an earthworm.

@ASRman you really should ask the same question on another thread regarding the Sportback! if not, you are going to be put off and change to one! Your only getting the bad points here regarding the 3 door when im sure there are many to the Sportback! dont want you to make the "wrong" decision!!

I've got a 3 door on order! I think the three door looks sportier and seeing that it'll just be me and my girlfriend there was no need for five doors :) I've ordered in white and after seeing a few around, it looks sexy as hell! Have a look on autocar to see what the 3 door looks like, that's the best way to compare

5dr sports back and no regrets - an all rounder as I have two young kids; boot just about usable for a Maclaran pushchair and various boots and junk. Looks good to me.

Reactions: pastey and Snake Pliskin
This will be my 3rd sport back! I'm not a fan of 3 doors for the inconveniences it causes. An I don't think the 5 door looks *that* bad! I use the back seats daily for either passengers or "stuff"

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screenshot 20161130 193433
Not a FL but Glacier and with the right number of doors, assuming you have no kids or friends like me of course :)

Reactions: RickyB, TYb, pastey and 6 others
I've had my 3dr A3 for just over 2 years. 2 years and 1 day to be exact. I have two kids, wife and a dog. Is it a pain at times with 3 dr's? Yes! Would I get a 5dr next time, probably. Would I change my order if I'd to go back 2 years, no. I love the 3 dr shape, I can get everything in with space left over and I don't mind the big doors. My only issue now is the height of my seat. After having a further 2 spinal surgeries in the past year it is becoming increasingly difficult to get in and out. Next time around I will likely go to a crossover to give me ease of access but you never know, I may go for another car as I'm loathed to go back into a small SUV type car! You'll not be disappointed in your choice. And yes, there's definitely less of them on the road!

Reactions: ASRman, richinsoton and Snake Pliskin
I've gone from a TT to a 3dr FL S3 and I absolutely love it, it's far more functional than the TT. If you don't carry passengers regularly I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. I think the 3dr sits better in the standard wheel than the sportback does.

I do like the sportback but it's more difficult to spec it right.
IMG 0972

Reactions: pastey, ASRman, Milnesafc and 4 others
I came from only ever having 3-door cars, but it became a pain as I do most of the driving when going out with friends and the wife etc. So I knew I was going to get a 5-door car next regardless. There's not as much room in the back as I first thought to be honest and the boot is a joke, but it's bigger than the 3-door regardless. Personally, I like the mini estate, breadvan type styling the sport-back has - I also have a thing for quick estate cars, which is why the next RS4 has my name on it... :)

Reactions: Scottyg, Joe4842, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I've come from a 3 door to a 5 door, for me the shorter doors are a massive plus, easy access to the rear and prefer the look of the 5 door, has the estate look to it which I like.

Reactions: Mark_86
I would also add the biggest benefit of having a 3dr S3 is it's less likely to be stolen than its 4 & 5 dr brothers as obviously a 3 dr is slightly inpractical for carrying armed blaggers & their bags of swag when you need to make a quick & easy escape!!.

Reactions: zippster, Jassyo06, Scottyg and 1 other person
I would also add the biggest benefit of having a 3dr S3 is it's less likely to be stolen than its 4 & 5 dr brothers as obviously a 3 dr is slightly inpractical for carrying armed blaggers & their bags of swag when you need to make a quick & easy escape!!.

Might as well buy a clapped out Nissan Sunny if you go down that route...

Might as well buy a clapped out Nissan Sunny if you go down that route...
Nah if I was doing an armed blag I'd prefer the Audi or classic smokey old Jag thanks!. (You do realise my orignial comment was said in jest!??.)

Reactions: Tom.H
I've gone from a TT to a 3dr FL S3 and I absolutely love it, it's far more functional than the TT. If you don't carry passengers regularly I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. I think the 3dr sits better in the standard wheel than the sportback does.

I do like the sportback but it's more difficult to spec it right. View attachment 119306
That looks stunning mate.

If I ever get another Audi I hope this colour is available, next best colour to Vegas Yellow :witless:

@ASRman you really should ask the same question on another thread regarding the Sportback! if not, you are going to be put off and change to one! Your only getting the bad points here regarding the 3 door when im sure there are many to the Sportback! dont want you to make the "wrong" decision!!

This is very true aswell and I think grass is greener syndrome does play a large part in this, and I know for a fact if it was the five door I had ordered I would be complaining everytime I see one on the road it looks like an estate which is definitely not the look I am going for!

I've got a 3 door on order! I think the three door looks sportier and seeing that it'll just be me and my girlfriend there was no need for five doors :) I've ordered in white and after seeing a few around, it looks sexy as hell! Have a look on autocar to see what the 3 door looks like, that's the best way to compare

Exactly same here mate, it's just going to be me and my girlfriend, 80% of the time just me alone really. Also agreed I think white looks best on the 3 door, seeing as though light colours make things seem bigger than they actually are it definitely will give the hatchback a more substantive look on the roads

View attachment 119303
Not a FL but Glacier and with the right number of doors, assuming you have no kids or friends like me of course :)

That looks sick - I think hands down the hatchback looks better from the front, front 3/4 and maybe even from the side, its just the heavy back end which I not too keen on from certain angles, but I guess you can't get everything in life eh

I've had my 3dr A3 for just over 2 years. 2 years and 1 day to be exact. I have two kids, wife and a dog. Is it a pain at times with 3 dr's? Yes! Would I get a 5dr next time, probably. Would I change my order if I'd to go back 2 years, no. I love the 3 dr shape, I can get everything in with space left over and I don't mind the big doors. My only issue now is the height of my seat. After having a further 2 spinal surgeries in the past year it is becoming increasingly difficult to get in and out. Next time around I will likely go to a crossover to give me ease of access but you never know, I may go for another car as I'm loathed to go back into a small SUV type car! You'll not be disappointed in your choice. And yes, there's definitely less of them on the road!

Thanks for this, I dont mind the big doors either and I tend to park miles from anyone else in car parks... Ive also noticed a lot more sportbacks on the road than hatchbacks so the new FL hatchback will hopefully remain a fairly rare sight on the roads

I do like the sportback but it's more difficult to spec it right. View attachment 119306

This is good to hear, your car looks fantastic ... Indeed one of main reasons I went for the 3 door in the first was the fact that I dont haul around passengers and luggage on the reg so I think ill stick to my guns and stay with the 3 door !

Reactions: The Kendragon and Milnesafc
As you never carry anyone else it shouldn't be a problem, but I was surprised by the lack of leg room in the back of the 3 dr. When I carried passengers I had to move my seat forward which always drives me mad if I have to do it. :)

Pmsl......

Three door looks better in Vegas Misano, glacier, ibis,Nardo,black,Solar orange the sportback for all the rest of the colours, l don't dislike the 3 door, just prefer the sportback look with roof rails on....Avant look

Reactions: deanshaw24, Mark_86 and Snake Pliskin
Having come from a 5 door (Ford) I find a 3 dr faster to clean too, which is a bonus. 2 less doors to fiddle around :)

Reactions: richinsoton
I didn't realise until this thread that the rear lights are different on the 3 door to the 5 door :blink:

On the PFL I love that little outward curve at the base of the Sportback's tail lights.

I sound like I don't like my car much, but I wouldn't swap it for a more door, I prefer the exclusivity of the not as many door.

Well as a couple of others have posted pics of our more exclusive 3 drs so will I ! :rockwoot:

WP 20160619 13 01 59 Pro 2

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Ormesome
I bought the hatchback and I TOTALLY regret this. Do not do it. You loose the aesthetic improvement (imo) of the roof rails, you will absolutely miss the rear doors for loading/unloading children, passengers, suitcases, coats etc.

It also will be more difficult to sell. I read somewhere that A3 hatchbacks is a dramatically low percentage of vehicles leaving the factory.

What's with the love in for roof rails? Who the hell finds them attractive?!

That's like choosing a house because it has a lovely chimney.

Reactions: Milnesafc, Mark_86, Ormesome and 3 others
I bought the hatchback and I TOTALLY regret this. Do not do it. You loose the aesthetic improvement (imo) of the roof rails, you will absolutely miss the rear doors for loading/unloading children, passengers, suitcases, coats etc.

It also will be more difficult to sell. I read somewhere that A3 hatchbacks is a dramatically low percentage of vehicles leaving the factory.

As you say, it's all opinion. I actually prefer the 3dr to the 5dr actually because of the aesthetic you note, and that it looks more estate-like. I hate risking damage using the seats for luggage etc, and will always prefer to fold the seats and use the hatch. And I no longer have young kids to manipulate into the car. "Yah wanna ride in the back? Climb in" :)

I like the saloon too. No regrets getting 3 door here.

More difficult to sell? Maybe. Wasn't difficult to find one to buy used. Maybe supply/demand ratio is about right if they don't make many? A little less practical for some, but has (a little) rarity value ...

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and danilotto
Hehe, always like that sort of comment. Easy to find one at a dealer so they must sell well....! Translates to can't shift the things but 5 doors always fly out. Just messing with ya..

Reactions: richinsoton
I would like to add a thing, just for the sake of argument, I am quite disappointed by the poor seat folding mechanism...I strictly forbid people to get on by the driver side because I need to re-adjust the seat after.

Does anybody remember how refined and well-conceived was the seat folding mechanism of the A3 8L? The fancy thing is that I had the same one on my VW Lupo back in 2001...