Google overlay, is it only on connect?

BigW

Reaction score
as per the title, is the google earth overlay only available on connect?

Just picked up a 2014 s-line with mmi navigation plus, tech pack(without connect) And when I go into the options I only get the offer of 2D & 3D, checking my manual it suggests I should have a google option ?

I have a 2014 sport with tech pack- pretty sure you need connect for it to overlay the maps

Google Maps and Earth are only available when you have some form of internet connection. This applies to any device. Although you cannot use it with the Audi Navigation system a program such as Open Street Map allows you to download the maps to a PC or mobile device and use it without an internet connection. There map information is more detailed than Google. Also a program called Maps.me allows you to download maps to a mobile device and do routing, again without an internet connection.

I've got the tomtom app on my phone so have used that for years now. Maps.me is very good as well though, especially because it's free and you can download for other continents- used it with no issues when I was driving in Australia.