Best way to get good snow foam?

Dippy

Reaction score
There seems to be variability in the foam density that my lance produces so I would like to understand what I'm supposed to be doing to get good firm foam. Any advice? I have a PA lance and use ValetPro Advanced Neutral liquid.

I have a water softener, decent nilfisk (£250 not £99), lance turned all the way to minus, 1/3 of a bottle with valentpro ph neutral, 1/2 bottle of hot water. It's like shaving foam.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJ_26
Thanks. Mine is fed with soft water too and I usually have the lance full minus, but I use less than 1/3 VP and only top up with warm water. Maybe its because I'm diluting too much?

Thanks. Mine is fed with soft water too and I usually have the lance full minus, but I use less than 1/3 VP and only top up with warm water. Maybe its because I'm diluting too much?
Yes i have tried everything from 1/5 to 1/1. I only need 3/4 of a bottle to do my car so i do about a 3rd product then only top up with water to 70% full ish.

I have a water softener, decent nilfisk (£250 not £99), lance turned all the way to minus, 1/3 of a bottle with valentpro ph neutral, 1/2 bottle of hot water. It's like shaving foam.

I think I need to try the hot water! Don't have a water softener unfortunately, I'm probably using the hardest water available (London water).

I have Chemical Guys No Touch snowfoam and an Autobrite Lance (badged PA like all the others). Pressure washer is a Karcher K3.97. It's ancient. Using this combo 1 inch of foam topped up with cold water gives me thick foam. If I turned the dial all the way to - it'd be shaving foam so I don't.

From what I have read if the foam is too thin it's often the pressure washer.

I assume you know the dial is counter intuitive? - gives thicker foam + thinner?

Reactions: DJ_26 and Keef
Have you chaps tried Bilt Hamber snow foam. Very simple, no mixing just put into a bottle attach a lance and bingo. Great foam, good smell and superb results. Use about 250 ml per car so 5 ltrs lasts pretty well.

Jungle

IMG 3366
IMG 3343
IMG 2212

Reactions: SPIKE_, MikeSel^ and scotty76
IMG 20170402 103244212 3120x1755
IMG 20170402 103253824 3120x1755

And after about 3 minutes. Car is very hydrophobic due to the coating so not much sticks for long.

IMG 20170402 103304754 3120x1755

Reactions: DJ_26
I have Chemical Guys No Touch snowfoam and an Autobrite Lance (badged PA like all the others). Pressure washer is a Karcher K3.97. It's ancient. Using this combo 1 inch of foam topped up with cold water gives me thick foam. If I turned the dial all the way to - it'd be shaving foam so I don't.

From what I have read if the foam is too thin it's often the pressure washer.

I assume you know the dial is counter intuitive? - gives thicker foam + thinner?

That's interesting because I have a cheap nilfisk PW, but it definitely used to foam up a lot better originally, but nowadays not so much. I've heard that there is a gauze inside the foam lance that needs to be replaced? This seems to be consistent with the symptoms I've described.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...ance-metal-filter-gauze-pkg/1-/prod_1314.html

Reactions: scotty76
Well my Karcher is old but I don't think that's the problem. I have had thicker foam that in @scotty76's photos. I suspect that the inconsistency is because I really haven't been careful enough with my liquid/water ratio.

BTW I thought the need for warm/hot water is because if the liquid gets too cold then it won't work properly - but this is only really an issue in winter?

Well my Karcher is old but I don't think that's the problem. I have had thicker foam that in @scotty76's photos. I suspect that the inconsistency is because I really haven't been careful enough with my liquid/water ratio.

BTW I thought the need for warm/hot water is because if the liquid gets too cold then it won't work properly - but this is only really an issue in winter?
I've never had an issue mixing with cold water so might be an issue with the ratio as you say. I'm not very precise, about an inch of foam by eye is what I go for then adjust the dial to get the consistency I want. The pics I posted are actually a bit thicker than I would normally go for but I was in a rush.

Right, so washed a car at home with some of the advice above. I used hot water in the snowfoam bottle, filling slightly less than a 1/3 of the bottle with snowfoam soap and turned the adjuster all the way to the minus setting). It came out very nice and thick! Cheers @DeanoC

Next time, I will probably add some Citrus pre-wash and use a more positive (+) setting, so that it isn't too thick, although I don't mind too much.

Snowfoam

Reactions: DeanoC
that looks a bit too thick, nice effect but overkill lol

usually 1 inch in the bottle, and top up - i turn mine all the way to minus, then a half turn back