S4 Exhaust Valve tweak

Thundercliffe81

Reaction score
Right.

Afternoon all.

A few of us have 'talked' about this but, I think I'm ready to be the guinea pig. Did consider an exhaust like Remus but they're not going to launch one for the B9 and Miltek is too pricey/not the right sound. I'll be moving to a B8.5 RS4 in a year or so but I'd like to add a little more noise and occasion to the stock exhaust on mine until then.

So, is it a valve disconnect on the B9 or does it require an ECU mod or both? Don't think it's a mechanical tweak or is it? By now you've guessed I'm clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 126171

This is the b9 exhaust. Unplug the connector on each side

85d68e3a55bfcd2caf74aeb674c5add0.jpg

Not found?

Just realised the connector aren't at the same location on each side

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Just realised the connector aren't at the same location on each side

Image works but what am I looking for? Haha. I see the black boxes behind the tips. Are these connected to something? Going to have a look underneath this afternoon then. Just do t want to pull anything out I'm not meant to. Complete novice.

Unplug with ignition off? Wouldn't the valves remain closed then as soon as you turn off?

Yeah those black box are the connectors just unplug them. Don't think the ignition affects it have a go report back lol

Yeah those black box are the connectors just unplug them. Don't think the ignition affects it have a go report back lol

No balls then? I did say I'd be the guinea pig didn't I? Gulp.

Reactions: 5pot
My thinking is though, it's got to be disconnected when the valves are open though surely? As closed is it's default? @DeanoC ? Your expertise?

I'm sure the valves are open when engine is off. On my rs3 I unplugged both sides while engine off no issues

So. There's only one flap that's visible and that's on the driver side

Flipping tight arnt they? Hard to get to get to. Is there a release catch or button that needs depressing?

Last edited:
So. There's only one flap that's visible and that's on the driver side

Flipping tight arnt they? Hard to get to get to. Is there a release catch or button that needs depressing?

Sorry mate i have no idea how the electric ones operate but your logic is sound, disconnect whenever they are open.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sorry mate i have no idea how the electric ones operate but your logic is sound, disconnect whenever they are open.

I can see the ports on both side. But they're in tight (obviously). Just need to know if it's a solid pull of there is a mechanism. Don't fancy ripping the wiring

I can see the ports on both side. But they're in tight (obviously). Just need to know if it's a solid pull of there is a mechanism. Don't fancy ripping the wiring

Or find the diagram for where they go. To attack the other end. Behind the rear arch covers I'd imagine

6f59bca980017e6e9a8c13aa060df306.jpg

This little number here. On both sides.

So, it's a solid pull. Haha. They're out. Let's see if it makes a difference. Already started up cold so might not notice much.

Tut. Well, the left side was. The drivers side isn't playing. Odd. Gonna have a play

Reactions: Horia
Hmmmmm. So, on the S3 which has electronic ones too, it throws up some VCDS faults. No warning lights apparently. But what issue/s would this cause? As I do t have access to VCDS. Anybody got any ideas? Cheers guys, I know it's s chill day!

Absolutely having my ****** pants down haha. Passenger side boom. So easy. But the driver side is not budging and I've tried a lot of things. The mechanism is there. Grey catch you press down on but can't get both hands in on that side and I'm losing my rag so I'll try another day this week.

As you said just press on top and then pull. You may have a fault code on vcds scan but nothing on the dash. Won't affect the running of the car

As you said just press on top and then pull. You may have a fault code on vcds scan but nothing on the dash. Won't affect the running of the car

Jacking it up tomorrow after work. Get both my paws on it. Will let ya all know.

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and 5pot
It looks as if the valve completely closes off 1x side of the exhaust, rather than just 1x pipe.

Incredible!

Any sound difference noticed from the single valve disconnected?

It looks as if the valve completely closes off 1x side of the exhaust, rather than just 1x pipe.

Incredible!

Any sound difference noticed from the single valve disconnected?

I was going to test that actually. But, I got pre-occupied with that flipping annoying drivers side one. I'll do tests tomorrow night. Take recordings of plugged, 1x unplugged and 2x unplugged

I believe they can be coded open all the time @DJAlix

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I doubt their operation could be coded via vcds but there may be an option to make it think they are not installed. If anyone is near essex/herts border I'd happily take a look

I'm not sure they can be coded on the RS3, could on the S3 though I believe

I read the S3 threads and they said the fault codes could be cleared but still had to unplug the connectors.

I doubt their operation could be coded via vcds but there may be an option to make it think they are not installed. If anyone is near essex/herts border I'd happily take a look

West Yorkshire. Haha.

Hope VCDS can be coded on the B9 / S5 as it was really good on my old S3. Just nice to have the "fuller sound" all the time.

How do I add a video, guys? The valve disconnect is complete. I definitely needed a spare set of hands and a tiny flat head screwdriver. A tiny stone had got trapped in the release mechanism. Regardless, still an absolute ****** to get to!

Using the Tapatalk app and can't seem to upload a video

How do I add a video, guys? The valve disconnect is complete. I definitely needed a spare set of hands and a tiny flat head screwdriver. A tiny stone had got trapped in the release mechanism. Regardless, still an absolute ****** to get to!

Using the Tapatalk app and can't seem to upload a video

Wondering if you can upload to YouTube and then link it ?? Keen to hear this!

Wondering if you can upload to YouTube and then link it ?? Keen to hear this!

I'll try bud. Don't get too excited haha. I done it after a 60 mile journey so was already warm. I'll shoot a cold start tomorrow morning Think it's gonna be very good that.

First impressions: much more burbly on idle and pulling away, its deeper. More growl if you press hard out of a junction etc.

No drone so far at 71/2/3/3/4 on cruise control. But yeah, as long as it continues to be safe and dry under there, I'm very happy with it!

Standard sealing up with gorilla tape inside the ports and out. Cable tied to its own wiring. It's noticeably louder/deeper at low revs. Not an exhaust upgrade by any means but just adds that little bit extra. I like it but I'll keep y'all updated.

I'll try upload video.

Reactions: 5pot

Reactions: 5pot and Grubb
As I said, cold start tomorrow morning, I promise. That's the one that counts gents! Haha.

Reactions: m4ward
Sounds good to me. I just showed the missus and she said "Oh please don't, it's embarrassing enough as it is"

Reactions: m4ward and Thundercliffe81
Sounds good to me. I just showed the missus and she said "Oh please don't, it's embarrassing enough as it is"

It's hardly a 'loud' car though.

Reactions: Grubb