Auto rising boot lid

BiPolarGhost86

Reaction score
I have a A3 8P7 convertible. When I hold the middle button on my key it pops the boot of the latch. I'm looking for a way to make it open fully when I press the button. I cannot use the MK VI mod using the Fabia struts as they are too long when closed. Is there a way to do it?

Don't recall anyone changing the struts on a convertible. You'll have to be the guinea pig on this one.

Do these work on their own to raise the boot or do you also need to replace the gas struts?
They are supposed to work with brand new struts, but as mine are over 10 years old they have lost there pressure and didn't work, I`m going to buy some stronger struts at some point, unfortunately a bcs powervalve exhaust and cold air intake has been bought and a stage 2 map is on the cards, so this small mod has been put on the back burner.

I've just got a set of these springs on my A3 8P which is 6 yrs old and even with the extra 4 washers they supply fit to both sides it's not enough to pop it open.

The standard struts although 6 yrs old work fine and with a slight helping hand it will pop up. So I'll either need to find some stronger struts or try to Increase the tension a bit more.

Any tips in which struts might work with this mod ?? Cars a 3 door 2010 170 model.

another example of why the world has an overweight epidemic. Opening the lid is exercise as is putting packages on ground to open such lid. It all adds up. More exercise less medical problems and less money spent in later years. Consider opening the lid a crossfit exercise

Reactions: Marek196c
another example of why the world has an overweight epidemic. Opening the lid is exercise as is putting packages on ground to open such lid. It all adds up. More exercise less medical problems and less money spent in later years. Consider opening the lid a crossfit exercise

Bit melodramatic maybe? Sounds like something from the Daily Mail, "auto opening boots cause obesity"

Reactions: Jps3290
Haha yep. Considering I weight lift 5 times a week and exercise plenty it's very over dramatic, but when u have kids and always have hands full it's easier if boot could open without fannying on each time juggling crap in hands.

Probably works for The Sun or Daily Mirror.

There was an old thread about doing this, I think struts from a scirocco were used as the struts have more pressure in them, got to be carful though as too strong and they can bend the mounts on the boot lid

Reactions: Jps3290
I've just got a set of these springs on my A3 8P which is 6 yrs old and even with the extra 4 washers they supply fit to both sides it's not enough to pop it open.

The standard struts although 6 yrs old work fine and with a slight helping hand it will pop up. So I'll either need to find some stronger struts or try to Increase the tension a bit more.

Any tips in which struts might work with this mod ?? Cars a 3 door 2010 170 model.
if you click on the link below they can make you any strut to any pressure you need.
Car Gas Struts, Boot Struts, Tailgate Struts & Bonnet Struts from SGS

if you click on the link below they can make you any strut to any pressure you need.
Car Gas Struts, Boot Struts, Tailgate Struts & Bonnet Struts from SGS

A bit off-topic perhaps but I fitted a set of SGS tailgate struts to my Mums rather elderly W203 Mercedes last week as she was complaining that the rather heavy boot lid was becoming a struggle to open....
At about £30 the pair they were cheap enough but to be honest after fitting them I began to wish that we had fitted Genuine Mercedes ones (I'm sure they would have been a lot more though) as the SGS ones were so rough in their action.
The tailgate opens much more easily now for sure , but it does so in rather a rocket-like fashion with a rather ungainly judder & shake as the strut reaches the end of its travel, definitely not evident with Genuine struts.
Cheap & cheerful is how I'd describe these struts, I wouldn't buy them again.

^^^^ what a tool !

unfortunately, this has been tried by many on vwvortex for the sportback. It works the treat on the Golf and ECS sells the kit but not on the a3. The problem is the spring rate to open and close causes too much force on the attachment point and it bends.

unfortunately, this has been tried by many on vwvortex for the sportback. It works the treat on the Golf and ECS sells the kit but not on the a3. The problem is the spring rate to open and close causes too much force on the attachment point and it bends.

In theory it sounds a great mod for the A3 but having read of problems of tailgates flexing and damaged attachment points this means it is one thing I definitely won't be doing on my car......

^^^^ what a tool !

The ECS kit is at fault here, where it attaches to to car bodywork, you put the lid down and the two points at where the spring bobbins are are pressing up on to the boot lid and cause it to bend.
The only issue I have is the springs that are fitted on the boot struts are strong enough to pop the boot with the boot release button but the strut is not powerful enough for a full open system. its not much, its just the weight of the boot lid thats too heavy, With a strut that is more powerful will not damage any of the parts or boot lid when fitted and will be able to push the weight up that slight bit thats needed.

I couldn't even get 1 washer in mine, yours must have been a tight fit. I`m surprised.

I couldn't even get 1 washer in mine, yours must have been a tight fit. I`m surprised.

No was loads of room? CAme with 8 washers and got 4 on each side with no problems.

Going to remove the lot because it doesn't work and bit pointless leaving the springs on for now.