2004 X5 4.4 - thoughts

gordie1973

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Long story short, massive change in circumstances (kicking the job into touch to spend a year with the family, moving back to Ireland after 17 years in the big smoke, house for sale, A6 bitdi sold..... sob )

Now to find a set of cheap(ish) wheels to lug stuff around, whilst still having a bit of power and noise!

Saw a mint (on paper) 2004 4.4i X5 v8, today and may go and have a look at it tomorrow.

Are they a bankruptcy waiting to happen, or if good should it be ok? This one has every bit of paperwork since it arrived and has only 75k miles (warranted).

Has anyone here had one and if so, what do you think.

(I'll be back in an Audi after my gap year, so don't worry !!!)

From what I know on the early x5 the gear box is a common failure and cost an absolute bomb go replace

Yeah, I heard that, but surely (with man maths / logic) if it was going to do it, you'd imagine it should have done it by now.

(I am very aware that if I go ahead with the purchase, this post, will, 100%, come back and haunt me!!!)

True but if it's been replaced with the same part numbers what's to say the new ones won't fail aswell .Every single car out there has faults just go for what suits your needs and you will enjoy driving,if we concentrated on what could go wrong we wouldn't buy anything

True but if it's been replaced with the same part numbers what's to say the new ones won't fail aswell

Yup. True, but I'd have imagined if it was a fail, there'd be an adaptation of the part (hopefully) as part of a recall / fix. But then, I bought an E60 M5 a few years ago, against the advice of absolutely everyone I asked!!! Yup, dropped a clutch after 6 months...... doh