Audi A4 2007 Engine Coil Light

Melvyn

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Audi S4 2L diesel, driving yesterday, car was warmed up after driving approx 70 miles and then the engine coil light started flashing and power dropped off. Stopped the car and turned ignition off. Waited 10 seconds and started the car, light didn't flash and power was ok. Did an 80 mile journey after that and no issues, no repeat of the flashing light and power was ok. Phoned garage and they want £49 to do a diagnostic check but did say that there may not be an error code stored. One thing to note is whist the car is warming up, when stopping at red lights the car seems to rock slightly, any suggestions?

That sounds remarkably like the issue's that I have been having, it came back to the inlet manifold flap or ASV.
This problem will flash the coil light and will clear upon turning the car off and on. It could just be a build up of carbon/coke in the valve and EGR.
They're easy enough to get to and easy to remove should you be so inclined.
There's also plenty of info online, just Google 'Audi inlet manifold flap' or error code P1302 should get you in the right direction.
As I explained in another thread of mine I cleaned all of my parts completely as they were terrible, unfortunately for me it seems the ASV may be dead/dying anyway.
On a side note, mine used to rock slightly at tickover when pulled up, always thought it was down to a weepy engine mount!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and will look into this, did it happen repeatedly, have used the car for small journey since it happened and no repeats. Still got the slight rock on tick over while the car is warming up. The error code you mention, did that come up on a diagnostic check you had done for the same issue? Thanks

The flashing coil light came on on two short journeys one after the other, I did indeed have the P1302 error code that time.
I stripped and cleaned everything after that and all was well until 2 days later when I had the flashing light again with the same code plus others relating to the EGR and MAF.
However since I ordered a new ASV two days ago it hasn't missed a beat...

Took the car to the garage today and there was a fault code which related boost pressure. Mechanic then checked to see what was causing the boost pressure issue and has come back saying the following:
Intercooler filled with oil
Offside Intercooler pipe starting to perish
suspect turbo seals have gone

Checked DPF pressure - all ok

Advise replacing turbo, oil feed and return pipes, nuts, bolts bolts and gaskets, oil and filter change, air filter, offside boost pipe and boost pressure sensor.
The goes on to say "May have further faults once these parts are replaced"

Does this sound right, i asked the ladies in the garage office whether the turbo had gone and they said it had, although the comments say advise replacing turbo. Would i notice the turbo gone as there is power in the car when i put my foot down?

Any help appreciated.

That sounds rather excessive if you ask me! Dependant on what the code was it could relate to many different things from a vac leak to admittedly possible issues with the turbo and a whole host of minor things.
Most TDI's I've messed with have had some oil in the pipes/intercooler,it depends on the definition of filled, if was filled with oil you'd be getting through vast amounts of engine oil and seeing a load of smoke out the back!
If the pipe is starting to perish, then it's fine, the problem is when it does split.
I'd pick up a second hand one off eBay if you're concerned.
Without seeing the codes from the car or looking at the state of turbo shafts, or pipework it's pretty difficult to make a guess as to what could be up, but this does seem hugely over the top and a massive leap from a boost error code to replacing £1500 worth of stuff with a ' it may not be that anyway' clause.
My advice would be to reach out to someone local to yourself on here who may be able to run a scan for you and go through the codes.
Failing that I'd urge you to get a second opinion at another garage.