issue with new fuel pump

Reaction score
I have a 2001 s3 amk.I got a new dw65v fuel pump fitted on Wednesday and everything was fine until to day. I went put petrol in and about 2 minutes down the road it just lost power. It will tick over dead on but when i rev the car it sounds like its being starved of petrol. There is no warning lights on and i took it back to garage which was a nitemare to do at bout 5-10 mph. He pluged the car on to his machine and he used vcd's but showed up nothing.
I have left car with him but i don't have much confidence in him to sort it. Could it be a faulty pump and not showing a code?

Have seen fuel starvation issues if a pump is incorrectly fitted... Common issue is kinking the balance pipe to the second tank pickup

<tuffty/>

I had a few issues getting my DW65v fit correctly.

The process involved using a mixture of the original and new o-rings, along with plenty of the supplied grease to get everything seated correctly. It took many attempts, and trial and error with different o-rings to get is right.

I also had to open up (by twisting with a drill bit by hand - 8 or 8.5mm drill bit IIRC) the port on the bottom of the pump that seats it onto the bottom of the pump basket.

As said, it took quite a bit of work for me to get it fitting to my satisfaction, but once fitted it has not given me any bother in approx 1700 miles, and is supporting my hybrid turbo set-up just fine.

Take it back out and make sure everything is seated properly.

Got it back from garage still no different. He sid it only producing 1.5 bar instead of the 2.5 bar that's required so he said the fuel pump is faulty. I'm not confident about taking it out myself so i think ill have to take it to another garage. I dont think he still has the old pump or the o rings. I was hoping it was just a simple case of it being put in and everything fine. I post up what happens at the garage in the morn.

Just stop driving it for God sake!
Run lean and well you no the rest.
Replace and test, can't do it? Have a mobile mechanic come to you...bet it's a better price too and a better service

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have read a few comments about the two push fit pipes on the top of the pump being the wrong way round. (you can check these without removing the pump just the cover)

Also are you sure you haven't disturbed any vacuum pipes in the engine bay at the same time (I know that's not where the fuel pump is)?

also you are 100% sure the extra tail pipe is plugged in properly the one which goes to the other side of the tank? you should be able to hear the fuel pump.

When i pit the keys in and turn the reds on u can hear the pump activating.
I got a boost gauge installed at same time. I did ask if that would have made the problem but he ssid no. Could it be that?
I will take cover of and see what if those pipes you say could be twisted. Fingers and toes crossed it simple fix like that. Thanks stuart B, tuffty and hendo#1 for ur help much appreciated.

How much petrol did you have in it ? As mine lurches when low
With the dw65
I always fill up at a quarter or half way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmm should it not be producing approx 4 bar ?or a little over ?mine car is slightly slower under half tank, only I notice it.

Gavin. I only had about 10 miles in it driving to pertrol station and put £30 in took it nearly have way then the problem started.
Could my fuel filter be blocked cauae i drove with a near empty tank?
Or could i have burnt the pump out driving with not much fuel?
Jay. He said its supposed to be 2.5 bar but mine at the minute is only 1.5 bar.

@Tuffty hopefully tuffty will correct me but we wouldn't need the fuel reg to return fuel if it was that low when the hit 3 bar they return the fuel to the tank.

Hi, I have a 2001 S3 AMK. I had issue's with my rev's middle of last year and with some investigation concluded that the fuel pump could be the problem as the car had over 100k miles. I spoke to my local garage about fitting the DW65v and they advised me that, the fuel pump is one of the parts that they would only recomend the OEM part, espicially as it's good for 400bhp+, plus the after market one's are a real pain to fit and could be problematic!! . So I paid the extra £300 and I've not looked back. And problem cured.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hydro s3 and Jay 01 s3
If a stock one can handle 400bhp then if i have a look at this in the morn and if i have to then i might aswell get this one out and a standard one back in. I doubt ill be getting mine over the 400 number.

I dont think the pump is faulty, incorrect fitting more like.

Most people dont get the dv65 fitted down prop on the pipe/filter because the new o-ring that comes with the dv65 is a nogo to fit. Reuse the old o'ring, grease it and make sure the pump hits the pipe and is "popped" all the way down.

Fitted dv65 on 2 different s3s and never had any trouble or fuel starv even if its on the red and driving like an utter idiot.

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk

As above.

I can hear my dw65v prime when I first turn the key, then it is as quiet as the OEM pump.

Even with an empty tank, and the fuel light on, I can not hear it.

Check, and re check fitment.

The standard pump will not support 400bhp safely. Your engine, your risk. I have a AFR lambda guage to keep an eye on these things.

So it worked okay until you filled it up with fuel? - surely the float moving has done something or the extra fuel has disturbed the tail to the left side of the tank?

Since changing mine it will start cutting out with 15 miles according to the trip computer probably isn't fitted as well as original as the original I had driven with 0 miles left when I first picked it up and was given dodgy directions to petrol station.

It is quite an easy thing to get to and remove just remember it is a 30 litre petrol bomb whilst you are muck about with it - I disconnected the battery.

I doubt it is the fuel filter, the reason I mentioned the vac hoses is when my vac hose had broken near the brake servo it would only run on idle and then cut out with gas. and if it was running okay up to the petrol station I doubt it will be the out and the return round the wrong way those cars didn't work from the start.

Yes worked fine until i put petrol in it. I had drove with the pump fine for two days covering 60-70 miles then when i put the petrol in 1 min down the road the car started cutting out and my problems started.

Ok so a update on the pump.
Left car into another garage and they found that the pipe from the transfer pump going across the diff had not been pushed on properly so it had shot of. So they just connected it back up till they heard it click and everything now is fine.
Thats everyone for ur help.

Reactions: desertstorm and Solberg