Flat bottomed S-line steering wheel

Yup - it's a TT alright.
I hope Audi don't start doing it as an option through the range - it should be reserved for the hero products... TT, R8, S and RS cars only!

It's hard enough to distinguish s-line and S cars as it is!!!

kind of on topic, can you retro fit multi-function steering wheels? Can they be purchased from Audi?

Just seen on the audi channel they are doing a special edition s-line A4 with black optics and RS 4 wheels. Dont know why the keep doing this sort of stuff, If I had an RS 4 I would be ****** off.

They did an s-line special a coupleo of years ago for the a4 which looked like an S4 - even had the brushed ally mirrors.

It's getting close to the end of it's life in it's current form so they probably want to sell a few more units before it becomes obsolete.

J.

jamiekip said:
Yup - it's a TT alright.
I hope Audi don't start doing it as an option through the range - it should be reserved for the hero products... TT, R8, S and RS cars only!

It's hard enough to distinguish s-line and S cars as it is!!!
And who determines where the cut-off is or what qualifies as a "hero product"?

S3 owners may sneer at S-Line owners and begrudge them having a lot of the same or similar trim but then RS owners could sneer at S owners and R8 owners could sneer at RS owners. Saying the flatbottomed wheel should never be allowed on an S-Line is like an RS4 owner complaining it shouldn't be allowed on an S3, it's all relative :)

Can't see AUDI giving a toss about devaluing their top end products tbh. They made the A4 DTM after all...

If I'd just spent 50k on an RS or and S, I'd want some kind of exclusivity and justification in the form of extra toys and styling for spending the extra cash.

You want them on a A range? simple - buy them and retro-fit or keep on dreaming about an S or RS...

Vertigo1 said:
And who determines where the cut-off is or what qualifies as a "hero product"?

S3 owners may sneer at S-Line owners and begrudge them having a lot of the same or similar trim but then RS owners could sneer at S owners and R8 owners could sneer at RS owners. Saying the flatbottomed wheel should never be allowed on an S-Line is like an RS4 owner complaining it shouldn't be allowed on an S3, it's all relative :)

I hear what you're saying, and there's nothing wrong with an s-line, I think most S owners wouldn't sneer or begrudge an s-line car at all, but if you're paying the premium for an S car, it would be nice to have a little something to distinguish it from the rest of the range.
I don't think you'd have R8 owner sneering at an RS owner or an RS owner sneering at an S owner, purely becaue they all have big difference to the rest of the range. Let's leave the R8 out of it, as the difference there is obvious, but an RS versus an S, well RS models tend to have a massively beefed up bodykit and arches and a beast of an engine.
The s-line A4 and S4 visually have very little difference, and I think the same can be said of the S3 and an s-line A3.
I guess it would be nice to keep something exclusive for the range toppers that's all!

In terms of who decides, well, it'll be toss between Marketing - hopefully driving for some product differentiation within the range and keeping high spedning customer happy with some exclusivity, or Finance, spotting the market for £270 a pop F/B sterring wheels on 10-15% of s-lines a year or whatever their business case would predict!!! Let's face it, on 50,000 cars that's £13.5 million on one option!!!!!

It is all relative, but I think a lot of people get a little frustrated that the car they spend a lot of money on, can be made to look identical for £10k less!

Just a personal view... :)

MarcQuinlivan said:
I checked with VAG Parts and Martyn advised me that you could purchase the S3 FBSW and fit it to the regular A3. They'll need your chassis number to confirm it will fit though. You can even buy the S-Line badge for an extra couple of quid so it doesn't look like you've just bought an S3 wheel and stuck it on.

Cool!..... I want the MFSW (don't know what needs to be done regarding the wiring part), but if you can get a flat bottomed MFSW for my A3 Sportback S-line, then I'll go for one if it's reasonable money.

Gary

i just got price from Audi for fitting an S3 flat bottom steering wheel :faint:

hehe sure, £1051 (inc VAT) to supply and fit S3 Flat bottom steering wheel, with full function of stereo etc.. he mentioned needed to add all the wiring loom. He also said they would need the car for a day

that hasnt put me off though... just need a month to save up :)

MarcQuinlivan said:
You can order the S3 FB MFSW for 275+vat. I've just checked the email from VAGParts and it says they don't sell an S-Line badge for it, but that you may be able to reuse the S-Line one of your existing S-Line wheel.

Not sure what is involved in retrofitting the wiring though. You may need to put up with the non MF one.

The TT S-Line FB MFSW can be bought for 241.43 + VAT and the S-Line badge for it is 15.76 + VAT, but apparently fitting it to the A3 required different airbags and some other stuff making it quite an expensive option.

By the way, can anyone out there with the MFSW answer a question for me.... Does your mode button change your radio from Radio to CD to CDC? Mine doesn't - the DIS just displays "No Function". Also just a small gripe about the buttons - with my Symphony III pressing the volume button on the head unit mutes the system, but they have not carried that functionality through to the volume dial in the wheel. Would have been nice to be able to mute the radio from the wheel.

Both of the 'other' buttons do nothing and are just used for the GSM phone prep

That's a lot of money... I'm paying 275 euros to have the flat bottom multifunction steering wheel...