What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week

Well.
just installed a new turbo,full 80mm exhaust, new 90mm intake, and waiting for the second meth injector with the 9.5 lt tank from snow performance.

323384384 465766289087656 3205417742486804402 n325375498 5786960108054408 7316110876691692241 n325927886 977680146536976 4945747840445226212 n324445941 742828830769694 1220973037833048269 n324621406 953109215671423 5875247958325815276 n320967971 860135291967044 1975279956093556249 n 1327037694 486660130290691 1911570055304619225 n

Huge difference in sound and times an the road even without finetuning the ECU.
Exhaust very silent and almost without any drone due to the massive rear exhaust muffler
Intake 90mm alunimum mafless setup.
The sound is intoxicating

Reactions: y0su, Nex2 and S.
This week the little 8p had a new front bumper, new rear diffuser painted gloss black and fitted, brand new second hand N/S headlight, gel numberplates and a stage 1 remap.

5BAE39BB DDA6 476A 9198 1E953E5E2325

9FD755F3 67D0 449F 8D33 E224B239ABEB

(Top pic is with old numberplate)

Reactions: y0su and Nex2
This week the little 8p had a new front bumper, new rear diffuser painted gloss black and fitted, brand new second hand N/S headlight, gel numberplates and a stage 1 remap.
(Top pic is with old numberplate)
Looking good. Perhaps complete the look and paint the inside portion of the fog light area to avoid black white contrast

Looking good. Perhaps complete the look and paint the inside portion of the fog light area to avoid black white contrast
That was the original plan but we ran out of time unfortunately, will more than likely do it when we re do the bottom section of the bumper black :icon thumright:

Rejuvenating an old thread with some boring maintenance done on the car :D

Replaced the pretty much destroyed wheel arch plastic liners with some new cheap aftermarket ones.

While the were removed I took the opportunity to change the HIDs bulbs in my facelift bixenon headlights. They looked like original factory installed osrams xenarc. Could not see a thing at night so can't wait to test the new night breakers.

Replaced the original windshield washer jet spray the with fan style ones from the Passat. Easy plug and play mod, helps a lot in these gross winter months.

One thing led to another I spotted oil covering the engine oil sump AND on the DSG oil cooler area (again). Booked the car to get those investigated.

It's been a fun week!

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4a en utilisant Tapatalk

Did the balance shaft delete replacing the fixed wheel with the freewheel option.
It took a few hours as I also cleaned out the sump and changed the oil filter too.

Initial thoughts are is revs smoother and picks up quicker, not a night and day difference but noticeable. No undue vibrations and if anything it feels smoother and with less vibrations than with the balance shaft. Oh and the mileage is 189,430 miles.

Balance shaft sump removed cleanedBalance shaft freewheel fittedBalance shaft freewheelBalance shaft wheelBalance shaft delete

Reactions: S. and tcardio
I finished repairing the coil pack wiring loom as the wiring insulation was so cracked I could see the copper wiring in almost every wire. My initial repair was insulation tape but today I replaced with new wire and then the joins insulated with shrink wrap insulation and 'pulled tight' with tie wraps before putting the outer insulation back.

I also replaced the pipe from the top of the fuel pump to the fuel filter as I ruined the sealing of the connector at the filter end, using 3/8 petrol approved rubber hose. I'm sure it was leaking under load, leading to stuttering and hesitation whilst driving.

Coil loom

Reactions: tcardio
Just had my sump cleaned out, had half a chain tensioner in. New chain tensioner and driveshaft and new oil drives a lot better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New DSG cooler installed, as it was leaking oil. Brake fluid changed and bled properly means the brake pedal feels much better now, way less travel than before.

Next is driveway antiroll bar end links change and oil change. Feels good to give some love to the aging a3. Winter's been going on for long enough now, can't wait for milder temps and summer wheels!

Another 25k on the A3 in the past year and another first time pass.

Since it’s first MOT in 2013 it’s never had a fail or a minor :)

FBEA81B4 B406 49A2 9998 5F98792567CD

Reactions: y0su and S3 Rav
Passed the MoT but only after a fail due to ABS sensor and sticky handbrake.
First ones ordered from eBay were the wrong ones, second paid from Amazon fitted but I had to file them down (Chinese copies and will be sending back) first and once fitted code still showing fault. Then bought two more Cambiare branded ones which cleared the code and worked. DO NOT BUY CHEAP ones no matter what.

Secondly I realised both calipers couldn't be wound back and on the near side the pad had worn almost right down to the backing plate where the caliper wasn't retracting and had damaged the pads. If I had more time I would've bought the refurb kit as I've done that before but wanted it done to pass the retest so bought two new, non oem ones and will refurb my old ones later to put back or sell on.

Also had to replace the brake pipe linking the caliper to the hose and both sets of brake pads. Not particularly difficult, just need to ensure you use the right tools, bleed the brakes properly afterwards and use water on any dripped brake fluid as it's corrosive. What a difference to the driving experience, those brakes must have been binding since I bought it six months ago as the chap said he had had new discs and pads fitted all round. I suspect they were fitted due to the iffy calipers and this was a 'quick fix'.

Annoying my CP Racetec braided brake hoses turned up this morning as I wanted to replace those too, but will do so later tonight

Attachments

• New brakes.jpg
    New brakes.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 121
Passed the MoT but only after a fail due to ABS sensor and sticky handbrake.
First ones ordered from eBay were the wrong ones, second paid from Amazon fitted but I had to file them down (Chinese copies and will be sending back) first and once fitted code still showing fault. Then bought two more Cambiare branded ones which cleared the code and worked. DO NOT BUY CHEAP ones no matter what.

Secondly I realised both calipers couldn't be wound back and on the near side the pad had worn almost right down to the backing plate where the caliper wasn't retracting and had damaged the pads. If I had more time I would've bought the refurb kit as I've done that before but wanted it done to pass the retest so bought two new, non oem ones and will refurb my old ones later to put back or sell on.

Also had to replace the brake pipe linking the caliper to the hose and both sets of brake pads. Not particularly difficult, just need to ensure you use the right tools, bleed the brakes properly afterwards and use water on any dripped brake fluid as it's corrosive. What a difference to the driving experience, those brakes must have been binding since I bought it six months ago as the chap said he had had new discs and pads fitted all round. I suspect they were fitted due to the iffy calipers and this was a 'quick fix'.

Annoying my CP Racetec braided brake hoses turned up this morning as I wanted to replace those too, but will do so later tonight
Fitted the braided brakes hoses all round, replaced the dodgy Amazon chinese made rear calipers with a reputable brand from local motor factors, Saxons in Wealdstone and bled through. Much better feel, bite and stopping power. Finally adjusted the handbrake to spec.

Fit a new Rev G diverter valve as the old one had split (new s3 to me so checking all the basics). Fixed the boost leak, car felt much better afterwards.

Booted it with the new found power and discovered my 6 day old S3 has a slipping clutch, so back to the dealer on Tuesday for a new clutch free of charge (to me).

Having a res delete tomorrow and then waiting on my new PVC and Cam Follower to arrive, fit those and then I can fit my VIS BSD and new Oil Pickup pipe. Should be sound then

Finally had Coilovers fitted at Awesome GTI! I went with the AP ones as I’ve heard good reviews and I can’t tell you how lovely the ride now is. Better than stock suspension for sure. I also replaced the top mounts and drop links as they were knackered upon inspection, which i suspected anyway due to knocking and groaning in the suspension the last few months. It’s now as quiet as a whistle and so smooth to drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 126
Reactions: Bryant1998
Finally had Coilovers fitted at Awesome GTI! I went with the AP ones as I’ve heard good reviews and I can’t tell you how lovely the ride now is. Better than stock suspension for sure. I also replaced the top mounts and drop links as they were knackered upon inspection, which i suspected anyway due to knocking and groaning in the suspension the last few months. It’s now as quiet as a whistle and so smooth to drive.

Liking them there rims

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you add the S3 skirts yourself?

Hit a big pothole and damaged the front passenger shock so replaced with another B4, replaced the front wheel bearing and also the wishbone and a polybushed one from eBay. Much better, just need to replace the drivers side wishbone then look to polybush the rear suspension arms in the coming weeks.
Will be contacting Harrow council to make a claim.

Frustrating as I only replaced the shocks a few months ago and this time it was such a pain getting the shock to seat properly in the hub knuckle, even using a spreader and lots of grease. Had to leave it overnight, apply pressure with the trolley jack under the ball joint and a cold chisel and hammer to help spread it and even then this still took me about an hour to just do this part.

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_191450627_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230504_191450627_HDR.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20230504_191446466_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230504_191446466_HDR.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20230503_201828661.jpg
    IMG_20230503_201828661.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230503_201836683_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230503_201836683_HDR.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20230429_181713139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230429_181713139_HDR.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20230429_181638379.jpg
    IMG_20230429_181638379.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: Nex2
Did you add the S3 skirts yourself?

Yeah I bought some used ones off of VAG parts in Wigan, then had them painted up. Fitted in an afternoon using a guide on this forum. Very straight forward.

Reactions: lafa3ro
Finally got around to fitting my new honeycomb grill which has been in my shed for months, whilst I’ve been working. Such a lovely upgrade even if it took an entire day to strip down the front end of the car, clean everything up, paint the crash bar and re-install the new grill etc.
I painted up the front parking sensors black as they were grey from the original grill. Now they seem to be constantly going off and I’m not sure if it’s the paint or how they sit in the new grill… Investigations needed. Anyone else had this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 119
Went from one android unit to another.
first pic is one I fitted in 2018. Had a CarPlay dongle fitted which seemed to lag and stutter at times
Changed to an 8 inch with built in wireless CarPlay. All smooth and

IMG 0949

IMG 0946

Reactions: Bryant1998 and S.
Crashed.
No injuries. Had to replace wing, inner&outer tie rod, sill/skirt and lower rubbing trim.

Pretty bummed about it tbh. But at least everyone ok...

Reactions: Bryant1998
Gutted to miss 333,333 miles but that’s what happens when it’s not your daily driver

IMG 9203

Reactions: Troubs12
Oil change, new plugs and a Cam follower followed by wash and wax plus a new MOT

Reactions: S.
Not posted anything for a while, but had a busy week off work. Fitted a enhanced turbo 6/6 blade uprated core to the turbo, new oil and filter and mtec grooved and drilled disc's and pads all round. First caliper carrier bolt sheared off and took some drilling out. Also managed to break the camshaft sensor removing the turbo so fitted a new one. Fitted some Pioneer components in the front aswell and gave it a ****** good cut, polish and waxing. Oh and sorted out the yearly MOT,tax and insurance. Boy does it shift now and still need to get it remapped again to suit the upgraded core.
6b6c72a2523a64aca0da22128c2ddfe3.jpg
67cd5200f1145ee40790b88730fde299.jpg
e645bf94e788008b9bf392dc17f8d4c1.jpg
c10607c25e12d29c121f5ebf937d9b85.jpg
eaf3ce6c377943f317a01b24bea610c8.jpg

Sent from my NE2213 using Tapatalk
c386c8abd3ab538b4eb510846cf0c13e.jpg
f434818a26f0448d6529808ed4b8a0c3.jpg

Reactions: palmgrooves, S., ahtcap and 1 other person
IMG 1009

Changed reverse cameras from a boot handle cvbs one to an ahd camera fitted Into a q7 plinth with genuine led plate lights.

IMG 1010

Reactions: MattA38P
Replaced the drivers side driveshaft due to split gaitor and outer tie rod end which has reduced some road noise whilst driving.
Also replaced the rubber hose between the purge valve and inlet manifold
Replaced the charcoal canister and the hose as I worked out the one way valve was now two way between the canister and return feed to the petrol tank.
Replaced the fuel cap as it wasn't sealing properly and now no longer get strong smells of petrol
Topped up the air in all of the tyres as all about 2-3 psi down on recommended pressures.

Attachments

• Driveshaft.jpg
    Driveshaft.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: S.
Bit of a front end visual overhaul. New grille, headlights polished, new fog light covers and S3 style mirror caps. Now if I can get the bumper properly repainted the project will be completed.
eeaf329d0c022d5fa8da55b671d575a8.jpg

Reactions: y0su, Dikonou and S.
Picked up a Pro ram oversize intake for a bargain and fitted it. Sounds the nuts now with the turbo whistling away on boost.
be1b93caed22f54da3c793c5c5c1d889.jpg

Reactions: S. and Bryant1998
Painted the calipers red, much better.
9c91602571db3953b41fcc932522e5e3.jpg
6774928de2cac86bd51c24dc8e381774.jpg

Reactions: y0su and Nex2
Swapped out the lower arm bushes on the rear with poly items from FSB as slowly replacing all the old rubber bushes with polybushes. No rush as I had bought the kit and replace one a day as simply too daunting and too long to do it all in one session. If I had more time, tools and a garage I'd probably remove the rear subframe, remove all the bushes and replace in one hit over a weekend. But I know when it goes wrong, as something WILL go wrong, Id be without the car for ages.

Finally got around to fitting my new honeycomb grill which has been in my shed for months, whilst I’ve been working. Such a lovely upgrade even if it took an entire day to strip down the front end of the car, clean everything up, paint the crash bar and re-install the new grill etc.
I painted up the front parking sensors black as they were grey from the original grill. Now they seem to be constantly going off and I’m not sure if it’s the paint or how they sit in the new grill… Investigations needed. Anyone else had this issue?
Car looking great. Can I ask what size / make tyre you have? Look real beefy, love that

Car looking great. Can I ask what size / make tyre you have? Look real beefy, love that
Haha! They’re actually just really cheap 205/55/16’s with the stock alloys. I wasn’t going to replace them as I want to upgrade to 18” wheels soon.

Reactions: Ironborn
Can you direct me to which rear plate blubs you used please as one of mine have blown!
So this is month two of owning my first Audi (and being on this forum). Absolutely fallen in love with it and have lots of plans. It's the 2.0TDI (170) so not too much i'm willing to do on the engine, remap at some point. This month i've mainly been fixing and tidying up the car from the previous owners. Had some valeters come round and do a full detail on the car just to get it clean and sorted, starting fresh etc... Some other bits i've done below;

Windows tinted
New rear washer jet (old one was blocked)
New Bosch wipers front and rear
Dynamic LED mirror indicators installed (Canbus friendly)
New inner door seal, drivers side (old one was torn and, well, old)
Replaced cigarette lighter with fast charge USB3.0 and voltmeter
Ashtray delete with tray (I've ordered the light bar etc for next week)
New brake discs and pads on the front
New number plates
LED number plate bulbs (canbus friendly)
LED interior light pack (canbus friendly)
LED DRL bulbs (Canbus friendly)
Oil change
New pollen filter (OEM)
New air filter (OEM)
Debaged the rear (kept Audi rings)

It's into the garage next week for a knocking sound from the from suspension. I want to upgrade to coilovers soon but was hoping to leave it a month or two... I'll post some pictures soon :)

I do want to upgrade the headlights to bi-xenon (with the DRL strip across the top) at some point... So if anyone has some units (with bulbs/ballasts) for sale over the next few months, let me know!

Such a great platform here with so much helpful advice! Thanks to everyone :)