ABS module Software recall

Mark A Greenwood

Reaction score
Had a letter through from Audi with regards to a recall that will sort out ABS module software. From a bit of reading up they test the ABS module and if it fails they replace it.

My question is, i have just had a custom remap put on my 09 Audi S3, if i send it in for this will they delete my map?

Not if you tell them to install any updates

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
So get them to check the ABS module, but tell them not to install any software. If the ABS module fails i'm guessing they are going to have to install updates though?

Isn't the ABS module separate to the ECU? If so, updating one has no effect on the other.

I just received the same letter, so will be booking my car in tomorrow. I'll ask them, but don't expect that ECU map will be affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
It would be cool if that was the case. Could you update me on what they say, please.

I booked my car in at Slough Audi and specifically asked if this update has any effect on ECU. The service rep confirmed that this is purely an ABS/ESC module software update and does not affect the ECU even if it has been modified.

Reactions: Nikolaos and Mark A Greenwood
Lads could you elaborate on this problem just that i have a 59 S3 and not clued up on motors cheers in advance

Lads could you elaborate on this problem just that i have a 59 S3 and not clued up on motors cheers in advance
It's a safety recall for a number of VWGroup cars where a software diagnostic does not pick up a hardware fault with the module which controls the ABS and stability control systems. If your car is in the bad batch, you get a letter to come and sit at plush Audi center, drink coffee while they flash the software update and run some tests at no charge to you.
Audi get your details from DVLA, so you just have to wait for it if your car comes under the recall.

cheers lads just that the Abs came up on the first auto scan when i did it before buying and yip i cleared it then it came back about 2 weeks ago again i just cleared it so lets hope i get L letter

I presume you'd have to tell them specifically if you don't want the emissions update applying at the same time?

I presume you'd have to tell them specifically if you don't want the emissions update applying at the same time?
In theory they should tell you exactly what they will be doing, in practice it might be best to tell them explicitly what you are there for :)

Audi Greece has sent the same letter.. They will test and flash the abs module. If flash does not work, it will be replaced at no cost..

Reactions: leshkin
resurrecting this thread to ask a question ..

i bought my a3 2.0 s.line tdi 140 58 plate in april 2017 it had been sat since failing the mot in January and the previous owner getting the money together to fix a few non serious faults. then trading it in with the garage i bought it from.. is it possible the previous owner got a recall letter and said nothing . as im now getting the abs fault light on the dash . after doing a scan im getting fault codes. see below
do i have to contact audi to find out if mine needs looking at or am i too late..

Address 03: ABS Brakes (-----) Labels: None
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 CD HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0120
Revision: 00H35001
Coding: 1342401249220002C80D02ED921D00823800
Shop #: WSC 59051 002 1048576
VCID: 76E265DBC1AB21F1C3-8022
1 Fault Found:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101110
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 206
Mileage: 211218 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2020.02.08
Time: 15:45:05
Freeze Frame:
Count: 0
Count: 32768
Count: 4608
Count: 96
Count: 52008
Count: 255

cheers

eddo

No m8 didn't bother with audi . Searched online and found a compatible abs unit from a 10 or 11 plate golf and fitted that using the original coding .
no problems since.
Plus the bonus of the new module having hill hold assist which the original didn't have. It just needed activating with vcds.
cheers.
Ps
If attempting to replace the module with a second hand one yourself make sure you copy the original coding to transfer to the new one and be careful not to cross thread the nuts when re-connecting the brake lines . Very easy to do if not careful. Bleeding the system afterwards was a right pain . i had to get my mobile mechanic round to give me a hand and about 3 litres of brake fluid run through to purge all the air out of the system.
There are a few videos online to give you an idea of what's involved.

Last edited:
@eddom1971 do you have the part number you bought as a replacement?
I dont sorry m8 . Had all the info saved on my old laptop and the hard drive failed and lost the lot.
I think i searched the original part number and got one with later last letter so the original ended with an E ect and the replacement ended with a G or a K . . Can't remember exactly sorry

Original was HW: 1K0 907 379 AD
Replacement was HW: 1K0 907 379 BE.
Original had component number.... Component: ESP MK60EC1 H35 0120
Replacement has .. Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0108 .
Don't know if the component info makes any difference.
Info for replacement taken from recent vcds scan log.
Info for original part in post 15 above.
cheers