BiTdi A1?

Matt6494

Reaction score
I know it's unlikely but the new Tiguan has just been released with a 2.0l BiTdi engine putting out 240ps.

Does anyone think we might see this engine in the next A1 iteration, or would it be too much of a S1 competitor? The same power with better mpg. Or would it even fit?

Just an interesting talking point. I was only thinking the other day why there weren't any 2.0l BiTdi engines whilst looking at the 3.0l in the A6.

It'd probably handle like a pig with too much weight over front end. Narrow diesel power and is no competition for an S1, although I guess that's why they have so many gears and DSG to compensate.

I can't see how it would handle any differently to the regular diesel, can't be that much heavier surely they've just bolted on another turbo?

It may have a more narrow power band but 370nm in the S1 and 500nm in the new BiTdi could partially make up for this.

The new Tiguan is quoted at 6.3 secs 0-60 @1720kg and the S1 is 5.6 secs @1315kg so if you stuck the engine in an A1 I think it could easily match the S1 having lost over 500kg do you not think?