A night of frustration...

M88RCC

Reaction score
So I bought this RS3 grill thinking it would be a straight fit on my car....

http://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p116/...grill_"fits_3_door_/_5_door_2004-2008"​_.html

I was wrong AFTER stripping the bumper off, but its ok I bought sidelights and new bulbs from EM Tuning I can change them... wrong I didn't have a long enough extension for my ratchet to get in to the back torx screw to release the headlight.... so a whole night wasted undoing the bumper and then doing it all back up.

Anyway lesson learned - does anyone want a RS3 grill for their A3 drop me a PM and ill sell it for £100.

Also should I have canbus errors in my car when bulbs blow, I am not currently seeing this at all, I thought all S3s came with that?

How to waste your time and money in one night :)

Cheers!

Yup, most of us had days/nights like this... Well, I definitely had these haha

Had this been a black grill for the facelift car, I would have taken it. Try putting it up in the trading section - loads of people ask about pre-facelift RS3-style grills on here, so would be very surprised if you didn't sell this quickly.

The older the car, the less Canbus monitoring goes on with the lights, they all monitor the headlights, brake lights, rear sides at the leastso does depend on how old the car is.
The rs3 grill mod can be done but involves more work than a straight changeout, there are plenty of threads about this, you'll have to trawl through all of them to find the right method.
As for Torx drivers, buy a long set off eBay, they are cheap enough. I bought a T15, T20,T30 all 400mm. long.

Cheers @SootySport

I did have a look for a guide but couldn't find any at all?

And I have already ordered longer Torx drivers.

Cheers @SootySport

I did have a look for a guide but couldn't find any at all?

And I have already ordered longer Torx drivers.
If it is a plf S3 you have you will only get 2 grilles to fit and they are Stock grey and the black one and the reason i say this is as i checked with just about everyone on ebay who do conversion A3 / S3 to RS3 conversions and when asked did there units come with the headlight washer housiing they thought i must have been a numpty until i sent them pics then the WE DON'T came flying back to my emails . So if your looking for a honeycombed grille there is a thread about a guy who Mod on a A6 grille .

Can someone advise on this please?

As its driving me mental, WTF is a "double grill" model and do I have one?

2008 57 plate S3

If the grill I bought doesn't fit can someone explain why :)

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20170824_151924.jpg
    IMG_20170824_151924.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 75
I think the grille you bought is for a single grille A3 i.e. not an S3. The double grille looks like this ...
DSCF0006.jpg