Petrol gauge needle

geeman360

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info regarding the petrol needle gauge not coming on.

I've had the s3(2011) for around 5 weeks now and I noticed the needle wasn't lighting up like the rest of the needle gauges.

I turned a blind eye as I just thought it was broken.

Then all of a sudden yesterday when I took the car to work the needle had come on.........?

Today I've noticed it's off again!!! I'm guessing it's a loose wiring or something like that.

Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine does the same, It used to work all the time then one day I noticed it wasn’t illuminated when I had my drl’s on during the day and went under a small bridge. I have auto lights and it comes on on whenever the lights come on. I have tested it with vcds using the test output mode in the control module for the dash and it works every time, so I’m pretty stumped, hopefully somebody comes along with an answer for us. I thought about taking it all apart but figured I’d end up messing it up even more

Reactions: geeman360
So the needle works & moves, just no back lighting?

Sounds like board issue as to only be that one faulting, is strange.

What's the scenario when it doesn't work, as when the lights are turned on, it works.

It only doesn’t work when I have the auto lights set to on and it’s day light so only the drl’s are on, obviously it’s not that noticeable until that period of time (early mornings/evenings) when it’s still too light for the headlights to come on automatically. I’ll agree it’s strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then it has to be board level component fault, the circuit for the speedos backlights when DRLs on, must be separately signalled/switched, to be as described, I can't imagine its anything else, unless the DRL speedo brightness is lesser & the led is temperamental.

Needs properly testing tbh, even another cluster plugged in temporarily from another car & vice versa would prove the fault.

I think there is a setting with vcds that can enable or disable the needle lights when the lights are off, but if it's only happening to one gauge then it's almost definitely a lose connection or light failure for that gauge.