Dipping Mirror Gremlin

Blurtar

Reaction score
Since having the passenger mirror enabled for dipping in reverse I’ve noticed that when the mirror returns from dip it is setting higher than originally set.

Any reason this is happening?

Actually I have it as an original option and occasionally it gets the return a bit wrong. I also have an very occasional instance were it stays in the dipped position and I have to use the control to get it back in the correct normal position.
No big problem though.

Actually I have it as an original option and occasionally it gets the return a bit wrong. I also have an very occasional instance were it stays in the dipped position and I have to use the control to get it back in the correct normal position.
No big problem though.
Well that’s a fault that Audi should investigate as if you have factory power adjustable and folding mirrors the dip should work without issue.

The trouble is, it only does it very occasionally, so it would be pretty impossible to reproduce.

The trouble is, it only does it very occasionally, so it would be pretty impossible to reproduce.
Have seen a few cars where the dip was not working properly from the factory. All of them turned out to be deformed plastics or badly fitted glass which would “catch”.... if you get what I mean...

No big problem though.

Exactly the same with mine.

Since having the passenger mirror enabled for dipping in reverse I’ve noticed that when the mirror returns from dip it is setting higher than originally set.

Any reason this is happening?
I also have this activated as a carista mod - I believe it is a known gremlin - I still prefer to have it even with the gremlin as I just tweak it a bit when required after it returns to the "normal" position - I do find that sometimes it does return to the normal (or as good as normal) position though so it is a little hit and miss

Reactions: Blurtar
I opted for folding mirrors on my S3, but can't get the dipping mirror to work... any ideas why guys?

Do you have the switch in top left position? It will only dip on reverse with the switch in the position.

Top left, as in the one where you move th left mirror around with the control?

I opted for folding mirrors on my S3, but can't get the dipping mirror to work... any ideas why guys?
For dipping to work you need to have the mirror selector switch in the passenger mirror position and then select reverse gear. If your mirror does not dip then try adjusting it and then select a forward gear in order to see if the mirror returns to the normal driving position. If not then 1) you don't have power folding mirrors 2) you do, but the feature is not working due to a software or physical issue.

Have it enabled through VCDS and never resets properly.. learned to live with it though. :)

I will give it another go tomorrow and see what happens!

My understanding of mirror dipping with folding mirrors is...ignition on and mirror position select switch set on left mirror...select reverse gear, then move mirror to dip position you like. the mirror will return to the normal position when you select drive and move above 10 mph. You must leave the mirror switch set to the left mirror or it will not work unless you return it to that position.

Reactions: Timi8888 and Djs3saloon
My understanding of mirror dipping with folding mirrors is...ignition on and mirror position select switch set on left mirror...select reverse gear, then move mirror to dip position you like. the mirror will return to the normal position when you select drive and move above 10 mph. You must leave the mirror switch set to the left mirror or it will not work unless you return it to that position.
This worked. First time using it you need to put in reverse then adjust the mirror to where you would like it.