2010 A3 Sportback Rear Door Malfunction

Mike Pratl

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 5 door Sportback. Yesterday I found the central locking did not open the rear door. Today I tried to roll all the windows down and the window in that door did not move and I noticed the accent lighting in the door handle recess was not on. Does anyone know if this is a fuse/module/wire issue? I hardly ever open that door. Thanks for any feedback! Mike

Hi - I have a 5 door Sportback. Yesterday I found the central locking did not open the rear door. Today I tried to roll all the windows down and the window in that door did not move and I noticed the accent lighting in the door handle recess was not on. Does anyone know if this is a fuse/module/wire issue? I hardly ever open that door. Thanks for any feedback! Mike
I recently had this problem although it was only the central locking that failed on mine turned out to be just the lock.but it's sounds like you have a bigger problem. Start by pulling the boot back between the B pillar and the door and checking for broken wires. Unfortunately this isn't uncommon.

I’ve just repaired the same but you need access to factory wiring diagrams to understand how the doors are linked.

The OSR door is linked to the NSF via LIN which is controlled by the OSF, again via LIN. I had a broken LIN wire between the OSF door and body which killed the OSR door.

You didn’t say which rear door was affected.

Reactions: Shiz94
Thank you for your replies. It is the driver side rear door which we rarely use. I'll check some more inside that boot. The door didn't unlock one time last weekend but is working now. Window motor and light still out.

Probably playing up due to lack of use. If there is multiway plug in the B post , could be wet or high resistance on the pins. Don't think the car is old enough to suffer from broken wires in the door jambs.

Did you manage to fix this? If you require any wiring diagrams I could be of assistance.

Probably playing up due to lack of use. If there is multiway plug in the B post , could be wet or high resistance on the pins. Don't think the car is old enough to suffer from broken wires in the door jambs.

My 2009 has had various broken original wires.

Thanks for the good info in the above posts, I also have a problem with my electrics on the nearside rear door, are we saying then that any broken wires are always likely to be in the drivers door post or is it always the front door on the relevant side? Could somebody also explain what 'LIN' is for me, I seem to be the only one who is not aware of it. Thanks.

Don't worry, I don't know what LIN is either. The drivers door is the one that is opened and closed the most and the wiring such as central locking, windows comes from there. The loom in the drivers door jamb inside the rubber gaiter is where they flex the most and most likely to break, so you need to look in there first. Always a chance the door control module is playing up as well, so worth doing a vcds check.

Reactions: traindweller
+1 for that those micro-switches in the doors might as well be made from cheese....
Yes, that's a VW/Audi problem that's been happening ever since I can remember, not the switch itself but the contacts on the pcp crack due to slamming the door.

Ahh knew they were ***** just wasn't 100% on the specifics of the shiteness haha

Reactions: Reddaddy67
I bought a 2008 2.0 tfsi sportback end of July and in the 1st week both nearside locks failed independently.
I have a fear the offside rear is due to go too soon as when using the central locking it sounds so loud it locks with a right old clunk!

I could not find any broken wires in the B Pillar. Door won't lock and window still out. One interesting tidbit. I had the door open and hit the unlock so all the other doors unlocked. I was poking around the B Pillar and the car relocked .... as if that door was not open.

Thanks all for your assistance. I decided to sell the awesome car and get a larger vehicle. You guys are great! Mike